Rock Auto - Pure Energy Alternator Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered this alternator from Rock Auto. It should be a 55amp with an internal regulator at 2:00. However, what I received (pictured on the left below) doesn't seem to have an internal regulator, at least not in the way I'm used to seeing them. The part number listed on the alternator is what I ordered, but before I submit the issue with RA, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1344.jpg

They did the same thing to me. I sent it back. I know it will work but there are too many adaptations.

I chose to get a local place to rebuild mine instead.

Reactions: OSS
Thanks for the info.

My problem is I gave up my "original" when I replaced it for a Napa unit. The Napa unit was faulty (and has regulator at 10:00). They'll replace it, but it just doesn't seem to be the correct one, and they don't produce/carry the 55 amp 2:00 alternator. The guy also basically yelled at me saying Napa doesn't carry parts for Japanese cars.

Anyway, I'm back to square 1 trying to find the correct alternator. Any recommendations? I guess I could buy an old/used one and have it rebuilt.

Ordered this alternator from Rock Auto. It should be a 55amp with an internal regulator at 2:00. However, what I received (pictured on the left below) doesn't seem to have an internal regulator, at least not in the way I'm used to seeing them. The part number listed on the alternator is what I ordered, but before I submit the issue with RA, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

View attachment 2863000 View attachment 2863001
I was also just sent this bizarre alternator. It is totally not what I ordered. I have an exchange set up, but now I know they will just send this same one back! Is it possible that the voltage regulator is inside where that rectangular part is (with the three long cutouts)? If so, that makes it not easily replaceable, if at all. Also, what is with those nuts on either side of the rectangular part? Is something supposed to be mounted there, or is it holding the VR on inside? They turned a three wire into a two wire with a pigtail which they probably think makes up for sending 10 o’clock’s as 2’s. Was this an external one before? If anyone has tried to use one of these, please let me know before I send it back! I’m planning to rebuild my original, but wouldn’t mind a spare if it won’t fry my wiring. It’s part number 14340, they must have run out of rebuildable cores.

UPDATE as of 03/18/2022: I took the plunge and installed that weird alternator from Rock Auto because I was desperate. It installed perfectly and easily (had to swap the pulleys which was like butter with my impact air tool and a glove), and it worked great for a few days, but once again the intermittent charging problems started again. It turns out that my battery ground wiring OR fusible link terminals were just microscopically tarnished or not getting a good connection (also a now fixed leaking radiator possibly spraying them with an undetected mist). When I disconnected the wiring to install the weird Rock Auto alternator, that was enough to jar the connections back to life until it would get below zero (weird) and then the alternator would just cut out on me and stall while driving, but restart and run fine once slightly warmed up. It was super sucky. I once again took all of the connections apart, cleaned them with super fine sandpaper and it has worked perfectly ever since! I would not hesitate to install this weird alternator and I see a new fusible link in my future. I'm also rebuilding my old alternator for a spare because I kept it because it is worth more than the core value.

Last edited:
I was also just sent this bizarre alternator. It is totally not what I ordered. I have an exchange set up, but now I know they will just send this same one back! Is it possible that the voltage regulator is inside where that rectangular part is (with the three long cutouts)? If so, that makes it not easily replaceable, if at all. Also, what is with those nuts on either side of the rectangular part? Is something supposed to be mounted there, or is it holding the VR on inside? They turned a three wire into a two wire with a pigtail which they probably think makes up for sending 10 o’clock’s as 2’s. Was this an external one before? If anyone has tried to use one of these, please let me know before I send it back! I’m planning to rebuild my original, but wouldn’t mind a spare if it won’t fry my wiring. It’s part number 14340, they must have run out of rebuildable cores.
I wondered all the same things, but ended up returning it for a refund. I’m still looking for a replacement.

“I’m still looking for a replacement.”

Mean Green I’ve heard and they say has a high powered alternator for the land cruiser.
They’re expensive though. I’ve never used one but heard good things. You could contact them and ask.

Mean Green I’ve heard and they say has a high powered alternator for the land cruiser.
They’re expensive though. I’ve never used one but heard good things. You could contact them and ask.

I've heard a lot of love/hate on MG's alternators. All the hate I hear comes from instances of premature failure. Given the current output of the MG, it would make sense that the rectifier is the root of said failures, especially if the diodes are underrated for the alternator at maximum output. This seems to be an instance where an external rectifier (a-la the Quicktifier, though I'm looking into experimenting with my own because I think I can build a reliable unit for less cost) would greatly increase the longevity of the alternator overall, and possibly eliminate the "low voltage at idle" issue that a lot of high current alternators are prone to.

Google Alternators/Starter rebuilders in Los Angeles. Call around. Find one that has a Reman with a new Voltage Regulator in it, in stock. Pay the $30 or so for the core charge and off you go.

Alternative is to find a used Alternator from a wrecking locator and have that rebuilt

A 3fe 62 alternator is mostly a bolt on.

A little bracket mod, shorter belt, swap the fan and pulley from the 2F alternator. Also run a bigger output wire to the battery with a fuse.

I wondered all the same things, but ended up returning it for a refund. I’m still looking for a replacement.
They did the same thing to me. I sent it back. I know it will work but there are too many adaptations.

I chose to get a local place to rebuild mine instead.
Google Alternators/Starter rebuilders in Los Angeles. Call around. Find one that has a Reman with a new Voltage Regulator in it, in stock. Pay the $30 or so for the core charge and off you go.

Alternative is to find a used Alternator from a wrecking locator and have that rebuilt

every once in a while TOYOTA OLD SKool of Thought surprises the H#LL out of me ...........

- not on any microfiche ,

not in any FSM or paper OEM Parts cataloger ..................but

in my latest score : 1985 LUCAS Alternator Identification Guide of all NON OEM resources i was shocked to see and read the followeing :

- 10 o-clock Position Voltage Regulator
W/O OIL Cooler Option ......

- 2 o-clock Position Voltage Regulator
W/ OIL Cooler Option

- and then if that's intriguing as SH#T , without any further details simply : Foot Notes say : Use 120mm LONGER Drive Belt ?

i can only interpret that as if you want to use the non oil cooler version 10 o-clock simply add a 120mm longer 17mm wide COGGED drive belt to the equasion ?

imagine that Jazz .........🤔

it all make
s perfect Teq TECH. Sense to me , its a Legit set of application facts

1640155527299.png

1640155627525.png

1640155566042.png

TECH Related Topic Video :

Very likely the original alternator you got from Rockauto would have worked just fine. I would say that most modern alternators have the V reg hidden inside. The toyota ones with the V reg box bolted to the outside were first I had seen like that in quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom