RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All good - Per James text today - 200 series bumpers are a 6 week +/- lead time.

@Roy Park - good idea. The option is there to have what ever you want incorporated into your bumper. I went single can because I had never had a bumper designed and built before. You may want to think about a full length swing-out versus the 3/4 that I did. A full length swing-out would allow more real estate to option out per your needs or wishes. Get creative, call James, talk it out and make it happen.
good luck man

Last edited:
My opinion on the swing outs is having two, while more complicated to open (barely), it's far easier to open in a parking spot or garage. If I had one big ass swing arm, I wouldn't be able to open it in a garage or with a car parked behind me. The two separate arms barely stick out farther than the tailgate when opened.

Just my personal opinion.

My opinion on the swing outs is having two, while more complicated to open (barely), it's far easier to open in a parking spot or garage. If I had one big ass swing arm, I wouldn't be able to open it in a garage or with a car parked behind me. The two separate arms barely stick out farther than the tailgate when opened.

Valid points sir. I have a dual swing out on my Tundra. It always feels like twice the work to open my tailgate, so I was considering a gigantic single. Hahaha.

I do really like this, but I would need a no swingout option, just a plain bumper. My garage is too tight, I wouldn't be able to open it with the door down, and I'm in that upper tailgate too often, the thing would just get in the way. The pivot is trapped under the plastic, so it doesn't look like the swingout is easily removable for DD duty.

Or that too

I do really like this, but I would need a no swingout option, just a plain bumper. My garage is too tight, I wouldn't be able to open it with the door down, and I'm in that upper tailgate too often, the thing would just get in the way. The pivot is trapped under the plastic, so it doesn't look like the swingout is easily removable for DD duty.
The swing out is easily removed. It may appear to be tucked in and hard to remove but i can assure you its not. No worries. Dealing with the grease on the spindle after remove it is a bigger pita.

The swing out is easily removed. It may appear to be tucked in and hard to remove but i can assure you its not. No worries. Dealing with the grease on the spindle after remove it is a bigger pita.

Ah, well that is good to know. I can see maybe putting it on some day, or on a long trip if I want to carry gas. Thanks!

Let me clarify That plastic corner pops off allowing access to removing the spindle nut. Still easy peasy

No doubt it can be redesigned to hold two, but if you like the tire centered, you'd have to put the second can on the other side of the tire or you cover up the rear brake lights and that would involve making the bumper with those lights added. I have a rotopax mount on my FR, but eventually I'll add the fuel tank and use the can on the bumper for water.

I received an email from James today that my rear bumper is finished. I can't wait to get it.

Does anyone have any specifics about the Rigid lights? The only thing I've read is that they're "Cube" lights. I'd like to get some ordered so I have them here when my bumper arrives.

Nevermind. I think I found the lights. they Rigid 21211 Dually Floodlights.

I received an email from James today that my rear bumper is finished. I can't wait to get it.

Does anyone have any specifics about the Rigid lights? The only thing I've read is that they're "Cube" lights. I'd like to get some ordered so I have them here when my bumper arrives.

Nevermind. I think I found the lights. they Rigid 21211 Dually Floodlights.
dually's they are - good find and hope you enjoy your bumper!

The only thing I would've had him do different on mine was to use 14mm studs on the tire mount instead of the std 12mm ones. It would make things simpler with one lug wrench.

Hi guys, I ordered mine and I have some questions I hope you could help
1. How do you know how much to trim from the current bumper?
2. @Willy beamin - What is the gasket material you used to cover the trimmed part?
3. What hardware (if any) do I need to buy to complete the install?
4. Would these Rigid knockoffs work? https://www.amazon.com/6KLED-Lighti...F8&qid=1520655374&sr=1-3&keywords=rigid+21211

Any other tips for the install besides what Willy has posted?

Thank you!

The gasket I used as trim to cap the cut plastic came from autozone or alike. It's door protector trim I believe.

The rigids I used are in the link below. The flush mount ones. The deminsions are listed in there. Compare that to the ones you're thinking about using. LED Lighting | Rigid Industries

I'll let others answer your remaining questions seeing how they received this bumper as a packaged shipment.

I ordered the edge trim here: https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Bl...rd_wg=OEqBi&psc=1&refRID=GTTY8BNRAZFGZ650XQ1W

Here are photos of my bumper showing how it was received and what came with it including hinge parts and hardware. I think mine may be the first one with the swingout lock. There's a hole in the bumper near the hinge and captive T-handle on the swingout that goes in the bumper hole to lock the swing outward. I haven't installed it on my vehicle yet, so I'm not sure if anything else is needed as far as hardware. I'm going to drill holes to run wire for the backup camera to the center of the spare tire and run wires for a license plate light, then have it painted silver to match my 200.

dJOcA7T.jpg

QXJ71uV.jpg

wlS7hPt.jpg

3jhYV34.jpg
3jhYV34.jpg

y03NwSE.jpg

@ohsix - thanks for images. I have the exact same plans with mine (mine is silver too). Please share anything else you learn during the install. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom