Rivet removal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserdrew, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I'm in the process of beginning to think about the mods to my 71 frame as I rebuild a new to me trail rig. What is the preferred method for removing frame rivets? There are a number I need to remove to allow for running longer springs in the rear and other assorted projects. I did have some success cutting the head off with a sawzall and grinding flush, but there must be an ih8mud preferred method. The rear shackle hangers seem especially difficult. Thanks

2. Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!

Head grinding and a punch works. also try drilling thru the center and working up in bit sizes or use a uni-bit if you dont want to deface the frame too much

3. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    The fastest way I have found is to use an air chisel to cut off the head then pound out the remaining part.

4. Pete

Pete

Andrew,

I wouldn't think there's anything special about removing the rivets. I would grind the heads flush with my angle grinder and then use a punch to drive the rivet through. They will be a tight fit I'm sure but I would think you could drive them out. If not, then you would need to drill them out, beginning with a smaller pilot hole, or heat the area with a torch and then drive them out.

Pete

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I did a bit of all of this today. The real issue is that some of those rivets on the shackle hangers are burried inside the hanger and nearly impossible to get. I am considering an air chisel but I already bought several air tools this month and my wife will start to complain.

One thing I will say is that it is quite difficult to get at the welds at the front of the rear shackle hangers.

Keep the ideas coming. I do not have a cutting torch either, but this project is making me think I need one.

6. FJ40 MNTCRZR

FJ40 MNTCRZR

Wierd, I have one of these too .... :doh:

Good luck with both ... :beer:

7. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Center punch and drill a little more than half way through the rivet with a bit slightly smaller than the hole. Drill with a larger bit to remove the head on one side. Then pound out the remains with a drift. Coring the center of the rivet makes it easier to pound out.

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

This is a fundamental tool to any fabrication shop/garage or hobbyist that finds themselves ramping up the level of projects beyond the bolt-on goodies provided in the land of aftermarket.

There are MANY tasks that are done exponentially faster with the aid of the flame wrench. I would not think of removing rivets and spring hangers on the frame any other way, or u-bolts and stubborn suspension components for that matter.

:beer:

9. sine80

sine80

Media:
    I was in the same position you are in drew a few months ago. I did it with a drill and a crappy 4" grinder. It sucks! I dont thing I would do it again without a torch. it takes hours to get them off with those tools. i think a bigger grinder would make it much easier.

mike

10. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    drill and tapped the rivet out, use lots of cutting oil on the drill bites. Use several bits and go SLOW speed with a heavy type drill, my milwaukee does great. I used about 4-5 bits and stepped up along the way. Not all that bad really.

Noah

11. Full_M3tal

Full_M3tal

If Your Not To Worried About Some Frame Damage I Have Found That A Cuting Torch Works Great And I 2 1/2lb Sledge With A Punch Works Great, Or You Can always Use A Plasma Cutter....

My .02

12. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Even a cheapo Harbor Freight air chisel will do the job. I bought mine for under $20. Throw away the chisels that come with it and get a quality rivet cutter. Got one of those from Grainger part #2Z885 $10.83 It will rip a rivet head off in seconds. I tried that grinder routine and it sucked big time ...[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.