1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rivet removal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserdrew, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I'm in the process of beginning to think about the mods to my 71 frame as I rebuild a new to me trail rig. What is the preferred method for removing frame rivets? There are a number I need to remove to allow for running longer springs in the rear and other assorted projects. I did have some success cutting the head off with a sawzall and grinding flush, but there must be an ih8mud preferred method. The rear shackle hangers seem especially difficult. Thanks

2. Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!

Head grinding and a punch works. also try drilling thru the center and working up in bit sizes or use a uni-bit if you dont want to deface the frame too much

3. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    The fastest way I have found is to use an air chisel to cut off the head then pound out the remaining part.

4. Pete

Pete

Andrew,

I wouldn't think there's anything special about removing the rivets. I would grind the heads flush with my angle grinder and then use a punch to drive the rivet through. They will be a tight fit I'm sure but I would think you could drive them out. If not, then you would need to drill them out, beginning with a smaller pilot hole, or heat the area with a torch and then drive them out.

Pete

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I did a bit of all of this today. The real issue is that some of those rivets on the shackle hangers are burried inside the hanger and nearly impossible to get. I am considering an air chisel but I already bought several air tools this month and my wife will start to complain.

One thing I will say is that it is quite difficult to get at the welds at the front of the rear shackle hangers.

Keep the ideas coming. I do not have a cutting torch either, but this project is making me think I need one.

6. FJ40 MNTCRZR

FJ40 MNTCRZR

Wierd, I have one of these too .... :doh:

Good luck with both ... :beer:

7. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Center punch and drill a little more than half way through the rivet with a bit slightly smaller than the hole. Drill with a larger bit to remove the head on one side. Then pound out the remains with a drift. Coring the center of the rivet makes it easier to pound out.

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

This is a fundamental tool to any fabrication shop/garage or hobbyist that finds themselves ramping up the level of projects beyond the bolt-on goodies provided in the land of aftermarket.

There are MANY tasks that are done exponentially faster with the aid of the flame wrench. I would not think of removing rivets and spring hangers on the frame any other way, or u-bolts and stubborn suspension components for that matter.

:beer:

9. sine80

sine80

I was in the same position you are in drew a few months ago. I did it with a drill and a crappy 4" grinder. It sucks! I dont thing I would do it again without a torch. it takes hours to get them off with those tools. i think a bigger grinder would make it much easier.

mike

10. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    drill and tapped the rivet out, use lots of cutting oil on the drill bites. Use several bits and go SLOW speed with a heavy type drill, my milwaukee does great. I used about 4-5 bits and stepped up along the way. Not all that bad really.

Noah

11. Full_M3tal

Full_M3tal

If Your Not To Worried About Some Frame Damage I Have Found That A Cuting Torch Works Great And I 2 1/2lb Sledge With A Punch Works Great, Or You Can always Use A Plasma Cutter....

My .02

12. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Even a cheapo Harbor Freight air chisel will do the job. I bought mine for under $20. Throw away the chisels that come with it and get a quality rivet cutter. Got one of those from Grainger part #2Z885 $10.83 It will rip a rivet head off in seconds. I tried that grinder routine and it sucked big time ...[​IMG]

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">