RHD truck LHD harness, possible? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Not been on here for a long time but finally purchased a RHD BJ40 for myself. I need a bit of advice please. The BJ has been restored (sort of) but the wiring is a mess. She really needs a new harness but not really knowing where to start, do I either fitting a kit or ask a shop do it for me. But strangely I do have a LHD harness from a BJ45 I sold for parts years ago, it had only done 20k. Anyway the question is could I adapt the LHD harness for RHD BJ40
033C608A-089E-4B4D-A897-62434472A763.jpeg
and would that be better than a kit?

If you turn it upside down then its basically the same, except that it will be too tight to reach all the bits and bobs.
You can unpick the tape bit by bit as you work around it and it should be good.

Nice fire truck. Scabbing in an old wire harness/connectors doesn't seem like a good plan to me. New wire isn't all that expensive, new OEM connectors are likely pricey. Not a purest here so one of those wiring kits with modern fuse block and extra circuits would interest me. I'd buy one of those wire label printers and mark the crap out of the wires as you run them.

Yes it really depends on how clean your harness is. If it's already looking tired then maybe better to start with a clean slate.

Check the crimp contacts for corrosion

Thanks guys I thought it might be able to be flipped over but wasn’t sure if it was just wishful thinking. The LHD harness is old but looks perfect, still has all the switches and the fuse hold and grommets attached. I will post a picture later of the harness. The BJ40 is B engine I think and the BJ45 was a 3B but not sure that will make much difference for the most part.
865cdce3-fcba-442c-b46c-af566cc77acf.jpeg

You might have a few extra bits depending on your EDIC arrangement, and there are some minor variations but it sounds like it's worth a try.
Now I see the house I realise why you have a RHD.. anywhere near the west country?

In Cardiff so not a million miles. They have also changed a lot of the relays for ones of a scrap car I guess, so they will all need unpicking and replacing with whatever should actually be there

Local members here have converted RHD to LHD so I don’t see why the reverse couldn’t be done.

First question - Are they both same voltage? Are both 24V? 12V? Otherwise sounds like
the extra harness you have should just be plug and play

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom