Reversing Camera & Monitor Setups Locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.holdmypic.com
Hi all,

I've been searching the 80 threads to find best locations for camera and monitor setup.
And there is a few out there, but thought lets get a thread together in one place on how everyone can supply info and pics of there setup.

I've ordered a Mirror Monitor which can handle 4 cameras and have a few ideas on how I want it setup.

Will post some pics once done.
So can anyone that has setup reverse cameras and monitors provide pictures of there locations and if they are happy or would've preferred a different location or different system ( monitors.etc) ?????

There was a thread a while back where someone put a camera on the transmission cross member.

I use my HU as a monitor and view the cameras by either using one of the auxiliary inputs or hitting my cam view button mounted in the upper switch panel :)

newsuperiorredwoodz21.JPG

crewzerswitches10.JPG

The other button turns on the rear monitors.....

As for camera placement, I currently have several and more on the way :cool:

Some shots of my front bumper cam....

fzjcaminstall6.JPG

fzjcaminstall8.JPG

My old reverse cam....

fzjcaminstall9.JPG

fzjcaminstall12.JPG

My sideview cams....

crewzersidecamz.JPG

crewzersidecamz2.JPG

crewzersidecamz3.JPG

crewzersidecamz4.JPG

crewzersidecamz5.JPG

crewzersidecamz6.JPG

crewzersidecamz7.JPG

crewzersidecamz8.JPG

crewzersidecamz9.JPG

crewzersidecamz10.JPG

crewzersidecamz11.JPG

crewzersidecamz12.JPG

I didn't like my old rear view camera because the position didn't give me a good reference of where my vehicle was, so I replaced it with a new trailer harness and installed an angled 170* camera closer to the hitch so that the ball is in the field of view :cool:

newrearcameraandplug.JPG

newrearcameraandplug2.JPG

newrearcameraandplug3.JPG

newrearcameraandplug4.JPG

All of the cameras are switched using this rotary knob....

fzjcaminstall3.JPG

fzjcaminstall2.JPG

newsuperiorredwoodz19.JPG

And footage is recorded 24/7 by this mini DVR stashed in the glove compartment :cool:

minidvrinstall1.JPG

minidvrinstall2.JPG

minidvrinstall3.JPG

Here's a short video showing how it works....

I have a swivel camera that will hang under the rear view mirror on order as well as a wireless camera that I mount on my R/C truck and drive/record via screen view :grinpimp:

Snake,,, any power consumption issues on the DVR ? how many cameras can you hook up ?
which model sony HU is that,,,,tks

Snake, glad to see the white truck didnt box you in :steer:

Liking your 24/7 vid system & rear tire carrier more by the minute...

I dream about integrated ipad/mobile wifi router/wireless cams/wireless IR-night vision/wifi hard disk/Airplay/gps mapping/42Mbps wireless broadband, on the cruiser... anyone knows how to get engine data on the ipad?

So many things to do, so little time :doh: :D

There was a thread a while back where someone put a camera on the transmission cross member.

Seems like an odd place to put it, do you know what it can see???

I didn't like my old rear view camera because the position didn't give me a good reference of where my vehicle was, so I replaced it with a new trailer harness and installed an angled 170* camera closer to the hitch so that the ball is in the field of view :cool:

All of the cameras are switched using this rotary knob....

fzjcaminstall3.JPG

fzjcaminstall2.JPG

And footage is recorded 24/7 by this mini DVR stashed in the glove compartment :cool:

minidvrinstall1.JPG

minidvrinstall2.JPG

minidvrinstall3.JPG

Here's a short video showing how it works....

I have a swivel camera that will hang under the rear view mirror on order as well as a wireless camera that I mount on my R/C truck and drive/record via screen view :grinpimp:

That looks awesome, I would like to incorporeate some of those ideas into my system.

Just a couple of Q's though.
That rotary Knob, is that designed for video or did you just make it work. where could I buy one, and what would I be looking for?
And if you made it yourself and wasn't a kit for video, how did you wire it up?

The mini DVR recorder is awesome, I always wanted to record all cameras, that looks like it can only do one at a time. Am I right?
Have you only got it hooked up to the front, or through the rotary knob, or am I wrong and can record more then one camera at a time?
Do you know if there is an option to record at least up to 4 cameras at once?????

Also on one of the first photos on your hi/low range looked normal, then on the last one Pictured above looks like you have a switch, am I correct? and if so what is the switched used for? related to hi/low or something completely different.

Oh 98 snake eater,

forgot to mention, you said there is more cameras on the way, where do you plan on putting them?

Wow. I need that in my life. Someones' kid at my college likes door checking my car. This will fix that problem.

Last edited:
My Plan of cameras etc,

Ok all,

Here is my plan:

I've got a 10.2 Inch monitor that fits over the rear view monitor. it can take up to 4 cameras and display 3 at any one time.

When you select reverse it defaults to 2 cameras display.
I'll have 2 cameras at the rear, one high up with night vision with a good range to have whilst driving, Plus a CCD with reference lines whilst reversing just above towbar. These will be the two cameras whilst in reverse.

I'm getting side cameras similar to 98snakeeater, but was going to mount them under the mirrors.

So on the display I will have both side cameras and main rear view camera all at once.

Will have a CCD numberplate camera on the front which will goto the display that I have apart of the dvd/cd display.
I also want the side view cameras to goto this display for when I'm reversing hopefully triggered via the indicator I use or that rotary knob that 98snakeeater uses so I can switch between them as I choose.

Let me know your thoughts!

Oh forgot to mention, I would like to incorporate video recording aswell but hopefully all cameras at once if it is possible

Snake,,, any power consumption issues on the DVR ? how many cameras can you hook up ?
which model sony HU is that,,,,tks

Power consumption is very low :)

These cameras only draw ~15-25mA each, which is virtually nothing :cool:

In fact, the relay that powers both the DVR and all 4 of my current cameras 24/7 is fused with a 3amp fuse and even that is overkill (it's the lowest ATM fuse I had in my box) :doh:

You can practically go weeks without issue :cool:

The HU is a Sony XAV-W1

Snake, glad to see the white truck didnt box you in :steer:

Yeah, that l would've sucked :eek:

Lady in the Camry had been yapping on her phone for a while :rolleyes:

When the light turned yellow, she panicked and slammed on her brakes because there was a cop sitting at the intersection in the cross traffic and just lost it :doh:

Funny thing is, the COP was also yapping on her phone :bang:

Seems like an odd place to put it, do you know what it can see???

Cameras along the chassis will give you a great view when rock crawling without a spotter....

Unfortunately, it makes it much harder to clean off mud and debris....

That looks awesome, I would like to incorporeate some of those ideas into my system.

Just a couple of Q's though.
That rotary Knob, is that designed for video or did you just make it work. where could I buy one, and what would I be looking for?

It's just a basic 2-pole/6-way rotary switch.

Not specifically designed for video, but it works just fine for that.

You can get one at any Radio Snack:

2-Pole, 6-Position Rotary Switch - RadioShack.com

And if you made it yourself and wasn't a kit for video, how did you wire it up?

Here's a short write up of how to build a basic switch box:

RCASwitchBox - ElephantStaircase

Don't let the amount of wires in the pix scare you....

It's very simple and straight forward once you have everything in front of you.

Took me about 15 minutes to make and works great.

The mini DVR recorder is awesome, I always wanted to record all cameras, that looks like it can only do one at a time. Am I right?

Yes, this DVR is only a single channel unit (audio/video)

Have you only got it hooked up to the front, or through the rotary knob, or am I wrong and can record more then one camera at a time?

I currently have it set to record whichever camera the rotary knob is switched to (one camera at a time)....

Do you know if there is an option to record at least up to 4 cameras at once?????

Yes, I'm actually looking into a 4-channel DVR that will do just that :)

Also on one of the first photos on your hi/low range looked normal, then on the last one Pictured above looks like you have a switch, am I correct? and if so what is the switched used for? related to hi/low or something completely different.

LOL

That was actually a Nitrous push button knob from my Trans Am.

I just stuck in on my t-case lever for $h!tz and giggles ;)

Oh 98 snake eater,

forgot to mention, you said there is more cameras on the way, where do you plan on putting them?

Another camera I had on order actually came in a few hours ago :cool:

Basically a lipstick/bullet cam that will be mounted either just below or to the side of the rear view mirror on a swivel base so I can adjust the view by hand when I need to.....

Only 5 cameras will be running and recording 24/7, but my 6th camera will be wireless and used only when I have the receiver turned on.

I'm getting side cameras similar to 98snakeeater, but was going to mount them under the mirrors.

So on the display I will have both side cameras and main rear view camera all at once.

I originally planned on mounting them under the mirrors, but I wanted to get a full view of anyone standing next to the front doors (in case someone tries to break in) as well as the rear wheel positions with the curb (to help aid in parallel parking)

Even with 170* FOV, it just wasn't possible to get that range from under the mirror.

Oh forgot to mention, I would like to incorporate video recording aswell but hopefully all cameras at once if it is possible

EyeMax 4-channel Mobile DVR

98 Snake Eater,

Firstly whats the deal with your name, so unusual, how did that spring up, lol

You said you were looking into a 4 ch dvr recorder then you mentioned EyeMax 4-channel Mobile DVR
Is that what you are looking at getting, I definately want it to record 24/7 and the power consumption seems really good. (or something else)

I'm not worried about wiring it up, pretty efficient in electrical, just thought video needed shielding, good to know it works, I never even thought of a pot to do it, you are very talented in what you have done so far.

I understand what your saying with the under the mirrors, but will still play with the idea, but sounds like your idea on the front fenders might be a go aswell. Will explore all possiblilties, let you know how it goes.

Will give it considerable thought to all possiblities now, including the rotary knob (pot) or two, so I can select between different side and front mounted ones.

Did you have issues with camera needing to be mirrored? ie either for the rear or the front and if so how did you takle that, as the monitor that I have only has either mirrored or not, so the same for all cameras

98 Snake Eater,

Firstly whats the deal with your name, so unusual, how did that spring up, lol

When I first started using the interweb back in 98, I had just bought a brand new Trans Am.

First time I took it to the track, I beat a pair of Viper R/T 10's and a modded Cobra :)

On my last run, the track announcer called me "The Snake Eater" and I've been stuck with the name ever since :doh:

You said you were looking into a 4 ch dvr recorder then you mentioned EyeMax 4-channel Mobile DVR
Is that what you are looking at getting, I definately want it to record 24/7 and the power consumption seems really good. (or something else)

Yes, I'm still waiting on some details from the manufacturer before placing my order, but it seems to have all the key elements needed in a good budget based system :cool:

30fps per channel (not split)
Flash Based (no hard drive to skip)
Stand Alone startup (no need to press any buttons, just turn on ignition or leave on constantly)
Time Stamped
Auto Loop recording (records over oldest footage if and when memory runs out)
Motion Detection/Alarm recording
Triplex (record, playback, live view all at the same time)

I'm not worried about wiring it up, pretty efficient in electrical, just thought video needed shielding, good to know it works

It's pretty straight forward.

Shielding may be needed for HiDef systems or basic CCTV systems that run 30 feet or more, but for short range use such as this, it just isn't necessary....

I understand what your saying with the under the mirrors, but will still play with the idea, but sounds like your idea on the front fenders might be a go aswell. Will explore all possiblilties, let you know how it goes.

Use a portable monitor to give you a view before mounting and see what works for your needs...

Will give it considerable thought to all possiblities now, including the rotary knob (pot) or two, so I can select between different side and front mounted ones.

The rotary knob isn't really a "pot"

A potentiometer is a variable resistor that controls current/voltage flow....

What we're using is nothing more than a 2-pole contact switch with 6 different positions.

However, there's no limit as to how many switches you can piggy back, so if you wanted to, you could use one switch to toggle between say 6 interior cameras and another switch to toggle between 6 exterior cameras , then use yet another switch to toggle between the interior and exterior switch banks :cool:

Did you have issues with camera needing to be mirrored? ie either for the rear or the front and if so how did you takle that, as the monitor that I have only has either mirrored or not, so the same for all cameras

No problems at all :)

You usually buy the camera type depending on usage.

"Reverse" cameras already have a mirror image sensor, so when you plug it into your monitor, it will look like the image in your rear view mirror.

For front facing cameras, you'll need a "Normal View" sensor.

My reverse camera and side view cameras are all mirrored.

The front bumper cam is a normal view.

Some cameras give you a choice to flip the sensor by either a dip switch or cutting a jumper lead on the circuit board.

Last edited:
When I first started using the interweb back in 98, I had just bought a brand new Trans Am.

First time I took it to the track, I beat a pair of Viper R/T 10's and a modded Cobra :)

On my last run, the track announcer called me "The Snake Eater" and I've been stuck with the name ever since :doh:

That's an awesome story on how u got that name, awesome car too, im sure it sold ????

I've always loved transams, and sports cars, but could never justify buying them, I'm always pratical first, 4wd's always have had dual benefits for me, towing, family car (4 kids now) and of course 4wdriving which I've always enjoyed but still very much a novice at.

Yes, I'm still waiting on some details from the manufacturer before placing my order, but it seems to have all the key elements needed in a good budget based system :cool:

30fps per channel (not split)
Flash Based (no hard drive to skip)
Stand Alone startup (no need to press any buttons, just turn on ignition or leave on constantly)
Time Stamped
Auto Loop recording (records over oldest footage if and when memory runs out)
Motion Detection/Alarm recording
Triplex (record, playback, live view all at the same time)

Can you let me know how you go, I would say if it meets your needs it will mine aswell, considering the detail you put into your cars

Use a portable monitor to give you a view before mounting and see what works for your needs...
That's a great idea, thanks for the tip

The rotary knob isn't really a "pot"
Yeah very true, Variable resistance, was so tired when I wrote that last night, re-reading this morning, was thinking, "What was I thinking"

No problems a all...

You usually buy the camera type depending on usage.

"Reverse" cameras already have a mirror image sensor, so when you plug it into your monitor, it will look like the image in your rear view mirror.

For front facing cameras, you'll need a "Normal View" sensor.

My reverse camera and side view cameras are all mirrored.

The front bumper cam is a normal view.

Some cameras give you a choice to flip the sensor by either a dip switch or cutting a jumper lead on the circuit board.

Makes me wonder what I've got myself, I did explain myself the guy I bought them all from in great detail on what I'm putting where etc. so worse case senario I hope its selectable if he hasn't given me the correct ones for each job I have asked.

My front camera is gong to a different monitor so with any luch if its wrong, maybe I will be able to flip it.

Thanks for you wealth of knowledge it has been very valuable and given me more idaes, and possibly money too. lol

I'll post my cameras with pics and details in the next couple of weeks when I put them in.

Anyone else have camera setups that would like to share?

Jas

That's an awesome story on how u got that name, awesome car too, im sure it sold ????

Yes, the sales video did the job and someone from Texas flew in and bought her on the spot :)

Funny thing is, he didn't even know how to drive stick, but bought her anyways and had a buddy drive it back for him lol

We stay in touch and he's been taking great care of her :)

Weekly shows and it's actually a demo car for Tropicare Car Care Products (they saw the video as well lol)

I've always loved transams, and sports cars, but could never justify buying them, I'm always pratical first, 4wd's always have had dual benefits for me, towing, family car (4 kids now) and of course 4wdriving which I've always enjoyed but still very much a novice at.

One thing I can't live without is a fast car :doh:

Even with 6 kids, I still need my gofast fix :eek:

I still have my 70 Ram Air IV Trans Am (which I will most likely be buried in) as well as a '29 Ford 5 Window Coupe....

Can you let me know how you go, I would say if it meets your needs it will mine aswell, considering the detail you put into your cars

Will do :cool:

Unfortunately, the manufacturers for these things are usually based in Hong Kong and are deathly slow when it comes to service :eek:

That's a great idea, thanks for the tip

Some cameras actually have RCA patch plugs built into the circuit board for this very reason.

Makes me wonder what I've got myself, I did explain myself the guy I bought them all from in great detail on what I'm putting where etc. so worse case senario I hope its selectable if he hasn't given me the correct ones for each job I have asked.

My front camera is gong to a different monitor so with any luch if its wrong, maybe I will be able to flip it.

Have any pix/details on the cameras you have?

Thanks for you wealth of knowledge it has been very valuable and given me more idaes, and possibly money too. lol

No problemo :)

When I'm not running my shop, I actually install high end surveillance systems on State officials vehicles and beasts like these :doh:

lynxnewbuss.JPG

lynxnewbuss2.JPG

lynxnewbuss3.JPG

lynxnewbuss4.JPG

lynxnewbuss5.JPG

16-20 cameras w/audio, 60fps per channel DVR's, 3TB's of storage, wireless hub downloads, real time GPS data loggers, driver input data (throttle position, braking, signals), inertia sensors (yaw balance) etc., etc., etc.

Did over 300 installs since January and we're about to start another contract for 300 more buses and they need to be done in 7 weeks :eek:

OMG and wow, that is awesome, I would love to be a business similar to that.
Those cars are awesome too, wished I had money to get stuff like that. lol

I'll post some pics up when I get back home of what I have so far

Here is a link to the monitor, Not the buyer I got it from but I think its identical can display upto 3 images at once and has 4 inputs.

Cameras are CCD
here is some links on again similar items, looks identical
Heavy Duty CCD IR 12V/24V Colour reversing camera AUS | eBay

This one looks similar but mine has distance reference lines aswell
New CMOS/CCD Reverse Backup Car Rear View Camera E361 | eBay

one like this
Car Rear License Plate CCD Reverse View Parking Camera | eBay.

Side cameras look similar to what you have

Where are you buying the 4ch dvr from, that link you provided didn't work for me, I just googled it and got a few companies.
1 has a unit with GPS tracking aswell, which looks kinda cool

Where are you buying the 4ch dvr from, that link you provided didn't work for me, I just googled it and got a few companies.
1 has a unit with GPS tracking aswell, which looks kinda cool

I can get them for $249 shipped through Ragecams, although, since you're down under, it might be cheaper to go through Alibaba :hmm:

As for the units with GPS tracking, they're pretty cool, however, the majority of the ones I've seen don't have a standard a/v output, forcing you to use their proprietary PC software to view the footage via USB or Flash Card, which tends to be buggy and lag with dropped frames :eek:

I prefer a standard A/V output so I can view the footage in real time and record on my camcorder for editing if needed :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom