Builds Reunited after 20 years! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
I owned this '66 (4/65) FJ45 20 years ago and had to sell it. After being in storage almost the entire 20 years without ever getting an engine installed, it's MINE again!

Here it is as I bought it:
45body.jpg

It had a 327 in it but after only 1 good ride, I pulled it for bigger and better things. But it soon turned out it had to go.

Here it is back home:
45 at home small.jpg

It's still rust free...

... other than the fact that the man I sold it to took the top off and set it on it's back in the grass. Not one spot of cancer on the entire truck... Until Dave. Now the top is almost worthless. The guy aught to be SHOT!

Last edited:
Good point. And if he'd told me i'd get it back for the same price, I may have told him to keep the damn top!

BUT! I have the top and it still makes me cringe to look at the damage.

This doesn't happen very often, especially with a FJ45 nonetheless. Good for you... Sure wish I could find my first vehicle, a 1967 FJ40...still have a few pictures though.

Somebody pinch me!..

I guess I’ll start at the beginning. I bought my 1st Cruiser in 1989. An October ’77 FJ40. I co-founded the STLCA in 2001. I became a BOD member for the TLCA around 2005?. I built Zebranator I and II. I drew a bunch of cartoons for the Toyota Trails magazine over the years. BUT!.. While that was going on, the best thing happened.

In 1997, I bought my dream truck. With the search help of my good friend Gary Bjork, (RIP) I bought a ’66 FJ45 LWB from Oregon. Rust free! Well, one little spot, but that doesn’t count. It was an awesome truck. I only drove it once before pulling out the 327ci Chevy and preparing for the King of Beasts. I had a crate motor Dodge Ram 8.0L V10 sitting right beside it in my garage. I made an actual size cardboard copy of it and set it inside the frame. It was going to fit perfectly… with minor adjustments. Fast forward about one year and… I had to sell it. Back then, Cruisers weren’t worth nearly what they are now so I didn’t get a lot for it but it took it’s trip to Massachusetts.

It took quite a while but I eventually forgot about that truck for the most part. Honest. Oh, I remembered that I owned one but it wasn’t a thorn in my side anymore. I somehow ended up talking to Randy Elkin and drooled over his “custom FJ28 Troopy.” He mentioned that he knew where my old FJ45 was and that a friend (Paul) owned it. It was weird when he said that he was the second owner after me and neither one had done a single thing to it. “It sits just like you left it all those years ago.” That was in August of 2013. “I think he’d sell it even though it’s not up for sale.” I replied, “I wish.” and left it alone.

Then forward up to December, 2018. An opportunity came up that allowed me to try and find Paul. It took a few days searching and asking but finally found him. Well a little talking and he said he’d thought about selling but was worried about who would get it and not treat it right. He knew who I was and said he’d sell it to me. A side note: I’ve always said that Land Cruiser owners are generally the Best and his next words proved why.
“I’ll tell you what. I’ll sell you your old Cruiser for the price you sold it all those (20) years ago.” The only thing I’ve done is buy parts for the rebuild and I’m close to having everything.”
ARE YOU SERIOUS? I won’t give away what that price was to protect us both but man, oh man, how happy am I?

So here I stand. Ready for the next big build. I’m still making decisions on what to do with it but my first lean is toward restoring it. Or should I say, resurrecting it. We are just barely over an exact 20 years from the time it left Nashville to the trip back to Middle TN. The truck looks exactly like it did all those years ago. I made the (now I realize) mistake of rattle-canning it tan. I would’ve left it alone if it didn’t have grey primer on the side of the bed. I believe it was originally Coronado Beige. It doesn’t matter anyway, I’m changing the color and going all out on this rebuild. A sad note, it got left outside for maybe only a one of the 20 years but it rusted the perfect hard top. CRAP.

I thought this Cruiser was going to be a build I’d jump right into but STPCHLD jumped in my lap first. So I’ll have to wait a couple of months before I can really get a start on this one. We managed to thread time between snow storms in the east to get the truck from Boston to Mountain City, TN. Then the tow from there to Franklin on March 5th.

Introducing… MY45AGN

Parked in Oregon in 1997.

(including a 20 year old paint out the winch not included. Long before Photoshop.)

The last registered license plate.

These are the shots I took before Y2K:
The cardboard V10.

How clean a frame is that?

JB and Corky taking a joy ride in their first FJ45 ever seen in person.

Glad you got it back. I remember when you got It the first time. I might not pay attention but is Corky still around the cruiser world. I talk to Greenway a couple times a year, but lost touch with the rest of the STLCA crew over the years.

It also came with tons of extra parts.
I have in my possession now: The 45 plus extras...
Two rust free sets of early doors. Complete.
1 pair of rust free factory soft doors and a mostly complete set of bows for a soft top.
3 rear axle assemblies.
2 front axle assemblies. One original, one '77 disc brake version
Two 45 tailgates
2 matched pairs of factory new front fenders.
A shelf full of new Toyota parts like lights, all the weatherstripping, badges, and other odds and ends. Some no longer available.

Last edited:
Glad you got it back. I remember when you got It the first time. I might not pay attention but is Corky still around the cruiser world. I talk to Greenway a couple times a year, but lost touch with the rest of the STLCA crew over the years.
I tried to keep up with Corky but he's nowhere to be found. I talk to Greenway a few times a year too.

Surely I know you then. Who are you?

Great story and sounds like good cruiser karma coming back to you.

It also came with tons of extra parts.
I have in my possession now: The 45 plus extras...
Two rust free sets of early doors. Complete.
1 pair of factory soft doors and a mostly complete set of bows for a soft top.
3 rear axle assemblies.
2 front axle assemblies. One original, one '77 disc brake version
Two 45 tailgates
2 matched pairs of factory new front fenders.
A shelf full of new Toyota parts like lights, all the weatherstripping, badges, and other odds and ends. Some no longer available.

Would love to see some pics of all the parts. Especially the NLA stuff.

I tried to keep up with Corky but he's nowhere to be found. I talk to Greenway a few times a year too.

Surely I know you then. Who are you?
Jason Tharp. You would remember me by the camo 1979, that later got painted hugger orange the same year the orange 40 was raffled off. That or the round bezel tattooed across my back. Last GSMTR I registered for was 2000 with my white 45.
I look forward to your 45 lwb build. My 1967 45 makes a little progress about once a decade.

D69DBFE9-2AE4-4605-B1E2-8C946C25E391.jpeg

E44FC0B2-F2E7-4C5D-9F14-6A8A433A8701.jpeg

328D4336-FD86-4B2C-9081-A319C1ACF055.jpeg

106D3F65-DA77-4425-82EA-AE2ACB8C9625.jpeg

Great story man! But, triple overhead wipers?? That's my dream!

Great story man! But, triple overhead wipers?? That's my dream!
WOW! Someone finally caught that. It doesn't actually have triple wipers. That WAS photoshopped years later because it's my dream too.

That pic also makes it look about 3 to 4 inches wider. Congrats on getting her back!!

She’s a picture of pristine preservation, especially coming from Oregon (if by the coast) Obviously, the truck was MEANT to be yours...yours is the possessing of that same passion of all ‘45....MANIACS ! (now go build a MONSTER):zilla:

I'm about a month or so away from starting up on this truck. I'm no "keep it original" guy. I like original stuff and appreciate it but I will be swapping for the 2F, don't know about the seats yet, and don't know what I'll do with the tires and springs yet. It came with a slight lift I think but it's not installed yet so I'll have to wait and see. It won't be a "monster" as I had my old wheel it hard days a long time ago.

I'm trying out a new painter with the STPCHLD and so far, so good. It's all in the final product though. If all works well with the new guy, that part will go faster on the 45.

As far as pictures of all the parts... That'll be a while too. Let me get to it when I can start on the project.

Last edited:
You might consider going diesel this time. There are several good Toyota options that improve driving range and power. I'm just down the road in Huntsville if your intetested in decent example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom