Builds Resurrecting a mothballed '86 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great looking FJ62! (just like mine used to be)

Anyone have a source for the small plastic 'anchors' for the side vents? Ours are either missing, or crumble when touched. No luck at the dealer.

I got some good used ones at SOR several years ago. I second checking other Toyota models as I seem to remember seeing similar inserts another Toyota products. Check the body hardware rack at NAPA, too, if you're willing to try non-Toyota bits.

@PoloSlayer and I got a bunch done today. We started with some 'before' pics:

20171123_120832.jpg

20171123_120939.jpg

First order of business was to borescope the pistons via the plug holes. Everything looked good from my limited view, in fact the cross hatching was still visible wherever the pistons were down.

New plugs went in, then I drained the oil (grabbed a sample for blackstone) while @PoloSlayer pulled the fuel tank sending unit. The tank was almost completely empty, and VERY clean.

20171123_130054.jpg

New fuel filter (old one didnt look too bad)

20171123_133508.jpg

While @PoloSlayer siphoned out the last little bit of gas, I pulled the valve cover to see how it looked. I think it's pretty consistent with the 286k on the clock.

20171123_140114.jpg

I spread oil evenly over the valve train, then buttoned it back up and filled with 6qts of oil + 2 qts of MMO.

Dropped in a new battery, and did a test of the electrics, got lights on the dash, blinkers and headlights.

Tomorrow I'll get some gas and see if it fires up.

A couple more 'before' pics:

20171123_120856.jpg

20171123_120955.jpg

20171123_121003.jpg

20171123_121023.jpg

We did notice that with the battery connected there is some sort of buzzer (sounds like the 80 key-in-the-ignition buzzer) when the driver door opens, even without the key in the ignition or the headlights on. Is that normal?

We did notice that with the battery connected there is some sort of buzzer (sounds like the 80 key-in-the-ignition buzzer) when the driver door opens, even without the key in the ignition or the headlights on. Is that normal?
Mine does that when others drive my 62 because they pull the key out without pushing the button right above the ignition (which is usually required to finalize the turn and release the key). Does that make sense?

Mine does that when others drive my 62 because they pull the key out without pushing the button right above the ignition (which is usually required to finalize the turn and release the key). Does that make sense?
That took care of it, tks!

Put some fresh gas in it, sprayed some assistance in the carb and @PoloSlayer and I were rewarded with a running truck!

We did have to use the choke a bit, but that is to be expected after sitting for so long. It is unbelievable to me how durable the 2F is.

I did a quick walk around and found that the fuel pump is hemorrhaging gas. Going to have to replace that.

I also need some real-time help. The PS pump was sitting in the back of the truck along with an OEM seal kit. I read the thread re: Georg's Saginaw pump conversion kit and was all ready to pull the trigger, and them my wife went Christmas shopping. This just became a budget build :(.

I broke down the pump and when I pulled the below part out, it seemed to be in there backwards. This piece is behind the high pressure port. I would have thought the filter would be OUT, towards the port, but when I opened it up it was the other way around? Can someone weigh in?

20171124_105724.jpg

I can't answer your PS Pump question, but I am curious as to whether you're
going to keep those front seats or if you're going to search for tan ones?

That interior pattern on those is the 2nd phase (later 60/62) gray pattern that matches
mine...

I can't answer your PS Pump question, but I am curious as to whether you're
going to keep those front seats or if you're going to search for tan ones?

That interior pattern on those is the 2nd phase (later 60/62) gray pattern that matches
mine...

I'm trying to source matching brown ones. I'll let you know if I am successful.

Hi, I might have the brown covers, I'll look tomorrow. If I forget pm me. Mike

I did a quick walk around and found that the fuel pump is hemorrhaging gas. Going to have to replace that.
If your fuel pump was shot there's a good chance your oil has been "watered down" with gasoline. An oil and filter change would be a very good idea after replacing the fuel pump.

So today was a pretty big day for @PoloSlayer and me. After finding the fuel pump issue I was able to get a new pump installed, leak gone.

I pulled both front tires to check the brakes. Found this in the process:

20171124_130820.jpg

And this:

20171124_131555.jpg

Who cuts off a shock tower right in the middle?

If your fuel pump was shot there's a good chance your oil has been "watered down" with gasoline. An oil and filter change would be a very good idea after replacing the fuel pump.

Just did both ;)

Today we got the PS pump reinstalled and hooked up. I ordered a new belt from the dealership, but it won't be here until next week.

Also got the air filter installed. I'm missing the hose from the valve cover to the airbox and I have a small vacuum hose unattached to anything. Everything else is accounted for and plugged in. With the filter installed it runs smoother, and is quieter.

We got the motor up to operating temp and found a hairline crack in the radiator, going to have to fix that.

Made some progress on the emblems: I liberally sprayed the gaskets with Maguires. They were super stiff and crunchy (I had to boil one of them to get it off without breaking it) and I let them just soak in the Maguires up for the last couple days. They've gotten much softer, I think they're salvageable. I also was able to locate replacement anchors for them at Napa (front ones are a size larger than the back.)I

Also found this in the parts stash in the back:

20171124_155750.jpg

This coming week I need to drain & refill the tranny and diffs. Once thats done and I have the PS pump belt installed then she should be ready for a test drive.

Still on the list before regular driving: I think i have a ticking valve and I need to get that shock tower installed.

Last edited:
Also found this in the parts stash in the back:

View attachment 1580988

This coming week I need to drain & refill the tranny and diffs. Once thats done and I have the PS pump belt installed then she should be ready for a test drive.

Still on the list before regular driving: I think i have a ticking valve and I need to get that shock tower installed.
I had to replace the passenger side shock tower on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle, it was broken when I bought the vehicle. I picked up a new one just like that at Specter Off Road when I was down in Southern California many years ago. Finally got it installed a couple of years ago, but still trying to finish the project. It was a little tricky getting the nuts on the bolts I used to attach it to the frame and torquing things down, you have to get a little innovative. Plan on dropping the hardware into the frame multiple times and having to fish it out, things tend to roll/slide down the inside of the frame due to the slope.

I had to replace the passenger side shock tower on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle, it was broken when I bought the vehicle. I picked up a new one just like that at Specter Off Road when I was down in Southern California many years ago. Finally got it installed a couple of years ago, but still trying to finish the project. It was a little tricky getting the nuts on the bolts I used to attach it to the frame and torquing things down, you have to get a little innovative. Plan on dropping the hardware into the frame multiple times and having to fish it out, things tend to roll/slide down the inside of the frame due to the slope.

Any tricks or key learnings? What ultimately worked for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom