Builds Resurrecting a mothballed '86 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As mweb pointed out previously, your vacuum was steady at 18 back on page 10 or so. Something made it worse between then and now. One thing you mentioned tightening the manifold to 25foot lbs. The manifold to head should be 29-36 ft-lb and when you replaced those gaskets between the exhaust and intake, how tight did you go with those? There’s no spec and it’s easy to destroy the threads (aluminum) but I think I did those to 25.

I used a remflex gasket b/n the manifold and the head, and tightened to the spec they provided. If memory serves that was 25 ft/lbs. I didnt put a torque wrench on the intake/exhaust fasteners, but tightened them snugly, probably around 20-25lbs.

Also, do you have to be smogged cuz all that hose is insane. I’m out after really zooming in. Holy cluster fawk!

Yep. All required as I live in CA. I would love to get rid of it if I could.

I have a spare 1FZFE on a stand in my garage, its awfully tempting.....

Attempt a photo of the lines to the 4 ports on rear of carb near valve cover.

This is the best I could do, the lines are labeled w/hash marks left-to-right or top-to-bottom depending on how you want to calle it, I - IIII
20180714_194019.jpg

They correspond with 1-4 here, reading from top-to-bottom:

20180714_193734.jpg

I'm about ready to burn this thing to the ground and reclaim the parking spot :bang:

I found two obvious vacuum leaks; at the base of the carb and the PCV grommet. I fixed them both (new grommet and made a gasket to go under the carb.)

With MUCH coaxing the truck will start and run, but has to have at least 12-14* advance on the dizzy and full choke.

When I do that, I get 20" of vacuum so I believe my leaks are dealt with. But it just wont run well.

I have reseated the dizzy 3 times following the FSM and I get the same result every time. I have tried the mix screw 2.5 and 4 turns out, no real difference. If I have it advanced to ~30* it runs fast and hard.

I think I must have messed up the carb rebuild?

Can you plug a bunch of stuff to mimic desmog and see how it runs then or are you fully smogged w/ EGR etc?

I am fully smogged :(. I need to step away for a bit I think and go back to the beginning and go thru it step by step.

I'm just not in a position to work on two vehicles and try to sell my house at the same time.

In the meantime I got the overhead console wired up in my '80, and found a sunroof leak. Sigh.

20180824_203415.jpg

Going back to your earlier posts, you were getting terrible vacuum thru your gas filter (3 pronged can attached to the intake manifold). Something is wrong there, pull it off and clean it. Test it first if you want but you should have 20” of vacuum there.

Another person recently found his to be clogged and was able to buy a new one but the consensus was that it could be cleaned and/or take a drill bit to it and clean Whatever is plugging it up

Going back to your earlier posts, you were getting terrible vacuum thru your gas filter (3 pronged can attached to the intake manifold). Something is wrong there, pull it off and clean it. Test it first if you want but you should have 20” of vacuum there.

I thought the gas filter was not supposed to give the same vacuum reading as the manifold? I thought that's why folks used the other port to test vacuum?

Hmmm, I’d read up on it. It just supposed to be something like a brass screen and cotton in there - I wouldn’t think the vacuum would be that much lower. I’ll check mine tomorrow if I can.

Have you checked HAC?
Make sure it’s in the correct elevation as to your location. Fsm has a way too check it. You can also clean out the filter it has at the bottom of the HAC.

Hmmm, I’d read up on it. It just supposed to be something like a brass screen and cotton in there - I wouldn’t think the vacuum would be that much lower. I’ll check mine tomorrow if I can.

Tks, I really appreciate it. I went ahead and ordered another one regardless, they're not super expensive and it's an easy part to get to.

Yep, mine is reading 15” which is the best I can get where I live. So yours seems like it’s clogged. At least by you replacing it, that’ll resolve one issue.

Yep, mine is reading 15” which is the best I can get where I live. So yours seems like it’s clogged. At least by you replacing it, that’ll resolve one issue.

Baby steps......

@mwebfj60 (I believe) found his was leaking where the 3 prongs came out from the body. He sealed it w/ something or other.

It had a leak along the seam where the metal and plastic meet. I used some red loctite to seal it up. I think 3 out of the 6 or 7 I have leaked there...been a while. Good memory F.
How’d you figure out it leaked there? Did you pull it and plug the ports, apply soapy water along the seam and then stick an
air hose through the threaded portion to watch for bubbles?

I plugged the ports and hooked a mighty vac to the thread side. When I put the bead of loctite around I used the mighty vac to suck it into the seam a little.
Ah yes, another brilliant move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom