Hilux Rest of the world Hilux info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a 1980-1995 4 door hilux to import (or buy that has already been imported)

Info of how these trucks were equipped in the various countries is not that easy to find (that I can see)

I'd like to know what countries these trucks were shipped to over the years, what drivetrains they had (gas engines in any 4 door 4wd trucks for example), what countries were LHD/RHD, etc.

Anyone have insight to these questions? This info is quite clear for Cruisers, but not so much for the Hilux.

I've reached out to Land Cruisers direct, but they import from the far east and are RHD.

Lots of them here, but they are all RHD. I had my eyes open when i was in Argentina. Chile also, but they had more rust. I think Nicaragua or Costa Rica have some specialty shops where all they do is switch them over from RHD to LHD. Not sure about cost.

Toyota Hilux on wikipedia has all the answers. With LHD countries you usually can't find a low mileage one in great condition that is old enough to import.

Toyota Hilux on wikipedia has all the answers. With LHD countries you usually can't find a low mileage one in great condition that is old enough to import.

from what I read on the wiki site, nothing is said about what countries got what engines, what countries got RHD/LHD, and did all get the 4 door variant? What countries got the 4 door 1979-1983 body style? Did all countries get A/C? Were automatics common anywhere but the US?

For example, If I wanted a pre 1995, 4 door, gas engine, 4wd with AC, LHD, where would you look? What country got the most imports per year?

Last edited:
I’d see the quad cab (mid-late 80s) trucks pop up every now and then when I was living in Japan, mostly the 2.2L diesel, IFS trucks.

I almost brought an ’88 back with me this spring, but they wanted too many darn Yen-jamins for it:meh:

I have a related question - are there FSMs available for the non-US trucks? The US ones are shared all over the internet for many years, but I’ve never seen a non-US FSM that had quad-cabs, LHD, diesel engines, and such.

They are out there, you have to hunt and peck for them. It took me a while to accumulate all the FSMs for my HZJ-75.

Granted, most of the body, electrical, and chassis stuff will be mostly the same across the same model year or generation of truck, the engine stuff is the kicker. Parts are the real red-ass of owning a out of market truck. Lots of compatibility, but some differences:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom