Resealing the Evaporator Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a small drip from the evaporator cover on the passenger floorboard. I pulled the cover off of it the other day and cleaned out the box (it was filthy dirty) and blew some compressed air up the ac drain line. I thought that had fixed it, but apparently not.

So now I've got the cover off again and some Toyota FIPG to seal it up. So, is there a specific approach I should use with the FIPG? Do I pull out the existing gasket and just fill that space up with FIPG and reinstall the cover? Some of the posts almost made it sound like guys put FIPG around the outside of the cover as well.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I ended up taking out the old gasket and filling the groove up with FIPG. I wasn't sure how much to use, so I just loaded that sucker up. :) We'll see how it works out.

I don't have any "definitive advice", but I opened up to box(OMG, that cover is snug and hard to remove)....cleaned it to the best of my ability....ran some weed eater line from the drain location back up into the box until the line was visible...and then ran some some cheap clear silicone along the bottom of the cover where the gasket sits...

All good for a 3000 mile trip out west, not sure it's the best test since it's so dang dry out there. Might need to wait until my next summer trip to FL to really say it if's fixed for sure, but it seems to be okay at this point.... I think if the drain is clear and you loaded up the bottom of the cover with some sealant, then you should be golden...

I too have the drip lol. Im interested in learning about the solution. Im lucky that mine takes a looong time to start and the Weathertechs do the job on keeping the water collected.

I blew mine out and the leak continued. Removed the cover and was amazed how much crap was in there. Vacuumed all the gunk out, blew, vac, blew and put all back and am ordering the filters. Still leaks. I'm an ex phone guy and was gonna run down a phone guy to get some b sealing cord and try that, we used it on all our underground plant or werever we put air pressure on the lines. The stuff does not harden and would pull off if ya need to get back into it. I moved so now I i'm gonna have to sweet talk somebody into given me a little to try. I did see it online, like 3 and a half bucks for a roll.....and wish I had some in hand before I put that cover back on.

So far, it appears that the seal seems to be holding. I'm tentatively declaring this fixed. I did wait about a day before driving with the AC on after re-sealing with FIPG, FWIW.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408394560.767031.jpg

I had the same drip. I don't understand why that drain line is horizontal. I spent months (years?) backing uphill into my parking spot so things would properly drain downhill rather than onto my rubber floor mats. But then I took the cover off to do the air filter upgrade and I also replaced the OEM seal with a one-foot section of this 3M stuff. I think I got it from NAPA. Leak fixed.

...via IH8MUD app

Going to try to fix this myself as well, dealer wants $390 to do it. I already made the mistake of paying them $66 to clear the obstructed drain but they were working on another issue.

This thread helped me a bit to understand this issue, which I also have with my 02 LX. If I am reading you, if I remove the small bolts holding the cover in place I can pull the cover off with some effort and the interior opening to the drain hose will be visible on the firewall? I'd like to do this myself to avoid a huge bill at the dealer for a simple issue. Thanks.

I just pulled the evaporator cover off my ’04 LC last weekend. There were 8 screws holding it on. It was a tight squeeze maneuvering the cover out and around the wiring harnesses and from behind the dash support. The evaporator box was full of leaves. Once vacuumed out, I could not see the firewall end of the drain hose/tube. There’s not a lot of extra space in that box and the core blocks the view of the drain. I used clear RTV silicon (it’s what I had in my toolbox) to fill the gasket groove in the evaporator box and slid the cover back into place. Took me about an hour (first time attempted – was not in a rush). I guess I’ll find out this summer if the silicon holds up.

My "redneck" fix... take some clear silicone on your finger and press it against the groove between the two pieces across the bottom and up the sides and inch or so. Did this a couple of years ago and no more drip.

Hey guys, I must be crazy, but I'm trying to do this exact fix at the moment and am only seeing 7 screws, yet everyone keeps saying there are 8 screws. This diagram, from what I can tell, only shows 7 screws as well. I cant get the cover to come off, but don't want to yank too hard as I'm wondering where this hidden 8th screw is...

Mine is a 2000 LC

Screen-Shot-2012-05-28-at-10.28.31-AM.png

There are 8 mounting holes in the cover I removed-

IMG_1109.JPG

Ah! this is so helpful! Thank you! Cabin air filter is covering the one on the middle right! Thanks!

Any tips on how to get that damn cover out of there? I got all the screws out, but couldn't manage to wiggle it free. There's a metal bracket right in front of it on the left side that won't let it come forward enough to clear and free it. I gave it about 15-20 minutes before I ran out of time and had to put everything back together.

Any tips on how to get that damn cover out of there? I got all the screws out, but couldn't manage to wiggle it free. There's a metal bracket right in front of it on the left side that won't let it come forward enough to clear and free it. I gave it about 15-20 minutes before I ran out of time and had to put everything back together.

I don't recall how I removed it but I'll throw this out there, when I repaired the seal I used screen spline that was a little larger in diameter and denser. That was probably 5 years ago and I've had no trouble with it ever since.

Hopefully that'll help someone out. Sorry I couldn't answer your question on how to remove the cover.

I just pulled the evaporator cover off my ’04 LC last weekend. There were 8 screws holding it on. It was a tight squeeze maneuvering the cover out and around the wiring harnesses and from behind the dash support. The evaporator box was full of leaves. Once vacuumed out, I could not see the firewall end of the drain hose/tube. There’s not a lot of extra space in that box and the core blocks the view of the drain. I used clear RTV silicon (it’s what I had in my toolbox) to fill the gasket groove in the evaporator box and slid the cover back into place. Took me about an hour (first time attempted – was not in a rush). I guess I’ll find out this summer if the silicon holds up.

Now that I'm reading it, I think I removed it in the same manner, up and through the glove box opening.

I don't recall how I removed it but I'll throw this out there, when I repaired the seal I used screen spline that was a little larger in diameter and denser. That was probably 5 years ago and I've had no trouble with it ever since.

Hopefully that'll help someone out. Sorry I couldn't answer your question on how to remove the cover.

Old thread bump.
Just pulled mine apart last night to fight the drip into passengers toe zone. It was pretty nasty and I expect better AC performance now as well.

Screen spline seemed like just the thing and was on hand so thanks for the tip Ultra!

Old thread bump.
Just pulled mine apart last night to fight the drip into passengers toe zone. It was pretty nasty and I expect better AC performance now as well.

Screen spline seemed like just the thing and was on hand so thanks for the tip Ultra!
I am glad that worked. :clap:

Going to attempt this evaporator clean-out/re-seal this weekend - thankful for this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom