Replacing stuff before it breaks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@2001 LC, thank you for that - exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for! And thanks to everyone else as well, this has been super helpful. I do think eventually everything on a car is a consumable and eventually needs to be replaced, even if it's not part of a formal PM schedule. This has been really helpful in finding what those things tend to be so I can get out in front of it. 👍

Do you carry all of this in your truck all the time?

Yup, and then some.... I generally have way more than I should in my drawers. Hoses, belts, spare alternator, butane soldering iron, two kitchen sinks... depending on where we are going and how confident i'm feeling with my MacGyver skills that trip

One other question - I've got the FSMs, but it doesn't look like they include all the parts diagrams and numbers. If I wanted to look up all the cooling system hoses for example, is there a good go to place to look that kind of thing up?

One other question - I've got the FSMs, but it doesn't look like they include all the parts diagrams and numbers. If I wanted to look up all the cooling system hoses for example, is there a good go to place to look that kind of thing up?
I usually use one of the Toyota dealership websites!
Saved in my links:
Another one that I use fairly often:
Yup, and then some.... I generally have way more than I should in my drawers. Hoses, belts, spare alternator, butane soldering iron, two kitchen sinks... depending on where we are going and how confident i'm feeling with my MacGyver skills that trip
I usually try to carry a toolbox, sometimes I don't even put that in the back. I guess I need to step up my game!

I keep a coil pack, some wheels studs/lug nuts, a wits end fuse kit, efi bypass kit, no loss valve caps, a tire gauge, small tool kit, emergency tool, a multitool and a flashlight in my 100 at all times for DD

Ayune, this one was new to me, but reading up it sounds like it can be a killer if you don't catch it in time, thank you! Is this the right part? Fits 98-02 Ign. Cylinder Barrel Rod Power Tilt Steering for Land Cruiser/ LX 470 733556364714 | eBay

I'm not sure since I can't tell if you have an LC or LX, or what year it is (that's one reason why we put our vehicle info in our signatures).

Also, I'm not sure the quality of the eBay shafts are up to OEM standards. Many of us go the OEM route and extract a new shaft with updated, stronger design from the complete ignition bracket assembly. This is more expensive, though (~$180). Here's the main thread with lots of info on parts & process: busted ignition

I'm not sure since I can't tell if you have an LC or LX, or what year it is (that's one reason why we put our vehicle info in our signatures).

Also, I'm not sure the quality of the eBay shafts are up to OEM standards. Many of us go the OEM route and extract a new shaft with updated, stronger design from the complete ignition bracket assembly. This is more expensive, though (~$180). Here's the main thread with lots of info on parts & process: busted ignition

Hah, forgot I'd left that whole piece of info out. It's a 2001 LC. I wondered about the ebay shafts too, looks like they're just pot metal and seemed like they might be just as likely to break as what I take out.

Depends on where your truck was serviced. Many dealers don't like repacking and adjusting front wheel bearings, instead just wait until they "fall apart" or overheat and then change them. Spindle bearings are often neglected, and also the understanding of the need for replacing snap rings (C-clip) when servicing front hubs. I would check hubs, bearings and CVs before any long trip.
...In addition to normal car maintenance and all the good advice above here...
Re the brake master/booster: If your new unit is good, and the old one has been in the truck since new, you could just swap in the new one and then service the old one and keep it as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom