Replacing Power Steering Pump This Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
Hey All:

I plan on replacing the PS pump this weekend and looking for some experience advice. With the pump, should I also replace the Air Control Valve (just in case), and do you all recommend replacing the pump intake hose with the OEM or just using bulk PS hose?

The valve is basically just a controlled air leak to allow idle to bump up when steering is turned. Yours worked fine when we checked, so keep it. Just be careful to not break the hose outlets off it, or you'll be replacing it whether it works or not. If it ever stops working, then replace it, it looks to be pretty easy.

As for the hose - no reason to spend $55+ on OEM hose if bulk hose works without rubbing on anything.

The valve is basically just a controlled air leak to allow idle to bump up when steering is turned. Yours worked fine when we checked, so keep it. Just be careful to not break the hose outlets off it, or you'll be replacing it whether it works or not. If it ever stops working, then replace it, it looks to be pretty easy.

As for the hose - no reason to spend $55+ on OEM hose if bulk hose works without rubbing on anything.

Still say checking alignment (caster) is step 1 before replacing your pump. Pump might be bad anyway, but you need an alignment anyway once we crank your Torsion Bars.

Mark-

I can wait then, based on your suggestion to check the caster/get a fresh alignment. Definitely have to replace those leaky hoses, at any rate.

BTW, Mark, when we spoke- you referenced some very specific caster specs. What were those again? I got the impression from our discussion that most shops don't set it correctly. What specifically should I ask for once we crank the TB?

BTW, Mark, when we spoke- you referenced some very specific caster specs. What were those again? I got the impression from our discussion that most shops don't set it correctly. What specifically should I ask for once we crank the TB?

Ron Jon's set it, the guy didn't like the feel with listed specs. So can't really say what he set it to. But he set it right.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom