replace air system, Shocks first, lift later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend, I was sitting on the back of the gx and the rear was lowering on me. I suspected the airbags were going out. The truck also leaned to the right, which lead me to believe I had a shock out also. The air system continued to work while driving so it was okay. Yesterday, my wife was showing houses, and said the truck was bouncing. Looked at it this morning, it is on the bump stops and the air system isn't working at all.

The indicator show the bags in neutral but they will not fill and the lights won't flash if i try to moved it to high or low. I assume the compressor is burnt up from trying to continually fill the bags. Or is it possible the fuses could be blown? I would like to get the compressor working temporarily until my replacement kit is delivered.

On to the main part of the question. I intended to put a lift in it later in the year, possibly long travel, but was going to start with tires and underarmor.

I'll get the replacement kit from Metaltech or SSO and fj springs from craigslist.

What shocks can I put in the rear that will work for me now and still work with the lift? I realize what I get now won't work with long travel. But will settle for a standard 2-3" lift.

For some reason the compressor started working again, so I am able to continue with my plan to get a full lift later in year

So my problem seems to be intermittent. Bags held air overnight but while driving today, the height dropped to low while the indicator showed nuetral and the pump would not activate

A google search leads me to believe that my ride height sensors are bad

Does anyone who replaced their bags want to sell their known good height sensors?

You could always get the metaltech kit, fj springs and just keep your stock shocks until you decide on a lift. This would fix your current problem and make the actual lift a little easier when you do it.

You could always get the metaltech kit, fj springs and just keep your stock shocks until you decide on a lift. This would fix your current problem and make the actual lift a little easier when you do it.

And you would likely sell the springs from the FJ later easy enough. Others will want them. You could also do the above and use Bilstein 5100's all around. Then add lift springs later. Look at my build thread for info on a mild lift with a great ride.

i would not recommend putting bilsteins on. your stock shocks are better quality than bilsteins and then if you do want to go with a more indepth suspension set up like Icon you will just have wasted $200-$400 in the shocks. -$200 if you can sell them used to someone else.

His are old and worn. Bilstein work great in the right setup. Mild lifts is going to work fine. Icon is in a totally different league. But drive a GX like mine and a oem one with spacers and mildly tricked bags and mine is better far. Bilstein are NOT suited for spacer lifts. Avoid them completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom