Repair Locker Actuator - Need Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short version:
Looking for someone to fix my locker actuator for me. PRETTY PLEASE!

Long Version:
Ok, i've read the how to articles on repairing the locker actuator and attempted it on my stock unit to no avail. So a few years back I bought another locker actuator from a kid on another forum who said he rebuilt it and it worked great. Well it didn't work and when I opened it up it looked like he just cleaned it and put axle grease in it (Yes red axle grease). Fortunately I didn't pay much for it so I think I did OK for a non working actuator that is all there with no major corrosion. So what I'm hoping to find is someone who has successfully fixed these in the past who would be willing to fix mine for me and bench test it. If the first one goes well then I'll send my other one over for you to fix as well.

Specifics: 03 Tacoma rear diff locker actuator. The actuator is all there and in good shape. No rust or excessive corrosion that I could tell. It should fix up nicely by someone who knows what they are doing and aren't electronically challenged such as myself.

Short version:

Long Version:
Ok, i've read the how to articles on repairing the locker actuator and attempted it on my stock unit to no avail. So a few years back I bought another locker actuator from a kid on another forum who said he rebuilt it and it worked great. Well it didn't work and when I opened it up it looked like he just cleaned it and put axle grease in it (Yes red axle grease). Fortunately I didn't pay much for it so I think I did OK for a non working actuator that is all there with no major corrosion. So what I'm hoping to find is someone who has successfully fixed these in the past who would be willing to fix mine for me and bench test it. If the first one goes well then I'll send my other one over for you to fix as well.

Specifics: 03 Tacoma rear diff locker actuator. The actuator is all there and in good shape. No rust or excessive corrosion that I could tell. It should fix up nicely by someone who knows what they are doing and aren't electronically challenged such as myself.
I can and have fixed quite a few e locker actuators. I also do 3.4 conversion harnesses and custom e locker retro fit harnesses

Short version:

Long Version:

I think low range offroad sells new ones. Can't remember for sure though

Have you check power input and ground going to the actuator? Actuator rarely goes bad I have tested them before on the bench with my Power probe.

There's a few different causes that can lead to a non operative actuator. I am willing to help this guy out but he has yet to respond. Anyone else that needs my help just let me know. I build custom e locker harnesses that utilize the factory e locker ecu and button. I've also done 2rz/3rz and 5vz conversion and or stand alone harnesses

I have he'd to repair two of these actuators. If your actuator is not powdered aluminium oxide, then this is probably what is wrong. When the motors are built the magnets are epoxied to the painted surface (which is very smooth) and over time the epoxy lets go and the magnets shift together. 4 magnets no spacing, no magnetic field turning the armature. What you have to do is take the magnets off of the motor cover, take some emery paper and rough up the inside of the motor cover and re-epoxy the magnets to the cover. I use a good 5 minute epoxy, but I still let it set for 24 hours before I put the motor back together. Remember the magnets are in pairs, 2 North and 2 South and the pairs have to be 180 degrees to one another. From your school science class if they repel they are the same. So once you epoxy one then the other one of the pair goes directly across from it. The other pair are 90 degrees to the first pair. As far as grease for the gear case, it needs to be of very light consistency, I find that Vaseline works well for small motors and gears and the cold weather doesn't seem to affect it. Also the ring that seals the motor cover never keeps the water out, so a little bit of silicone certainly seals it. Good luck.

There's a few different causes that can lead to a non operative actuator. I am willing to help this guy out but he has yet to respond. Anyone else that needs my help just let me know. I build custom e locker harnesses that utilize the factory e locker ecu and button. I've also done 2rz/3rz and 5vz conversion and or stand alone harnesses

I can and have fixed quite a few e locker actuators. I also do 3.4 conversion harnesses and custom e locker retro fit harnesses

Hi, I would really appreciate your help with my 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 3.4l Dbl cab TRD my factory rear diff elocker will not engage the light on the dash just blinks I would like information on troubleshooting the system thanks in advance for any advice you can provide .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom