Removing 1994 OEM LC Running Board (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 94 LC and the passenger side front fender flair that provides a connection point for that side's running board has broken at the connection point, rendering the running board unstable and rattling. I live in Costa Rica for six months of every year and in NC the remaining six. I can buy a flair in the States, but getting it back to CR is problematic because of its size and odd shape, and I cannot find one in CR very easily. I thought I had read in some thread that it is quite common to simply remove the runing boards entirely on the 80 Series Land Cruisers, but is there a cap that's needed to cover the now-exposed ends? My guess is I could easily return from the States with this much smaller part.

For the rear part of the running board you can just leave it....for the fronts you can find front mudflaps to connect.

Look at the before and after on mine.

Bottom pic is 1st....top pic is 2nd....middle pic is 3rd....

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Great advice. I actually like the look better without the running boards, although I am sure my short vwife will miss the step. Can you say where you acquired your mudflaps for the front , and if they bolted right up? Also, what was the reason you removed your running boards?

I removed the running boards purely bc of looks....although my daughter has a harder time getting in now....but she likes trying to climb in.

I got the mudflaps off of the Classifieds on MUD....and yes, they bolt right up. They are difficult to find so when you...grab them. Some complain about them getting ripped off while on trails etc, so keep that in mind if you are going over rocky terrain. You can always take them off before you go...,takes 3 minutes to take them off.

In looking at mine, I think I may have a problem just removing the running boards and replacing with a mud flap, because the tab, that is part of the passenger side front fender flair, is broken; that's why I have to do something in the first place.........the tab is broken and therefore there is not a mounting place for the running board. I would imagine the mud flaps you installed use that front fender flair tab to mount as well.

Post up some pics of what you are working with.

Try toyotapartsestore.com for the front mudflaps; I seem to remember seeing some there recently.

Wow, just returned from a body shop here in Costa Rica. He did some body work on my Baja and did a stellar job. He does a lot of restoration work on Land Cruisers and said he can repair my running board with no difficulty, stronger than before. I was actually kind of happy about the notion of removing the running boards, but my wife was really pleased to hear they can stay. I don't do off-roading anyway, unless you count the killer, steep, half-mile long, rut-filled dirt road I have to traverse to get to my house. Thanks again for the guidance. I cannot say enough good things about this website and its associated forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom