Remove motor in FJ80 seats to make make manual? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So currently having to replace the gears inside the motorized seats in my FJ80 and I started to think.. If it is possible to just remove all the motors and such and just have a manual seat with an adjustable bar? I feel like this would be so much better than the hassle of possibly fixing the gears and motor again.

Anyone know if this is possible?

In most cases only one side goes out. If this is the case, you can actually unhook the side that has gone out and zip tie it out of the way making it manual on that side and allowing the good motor to pull the seat back and forth.

Make sure when you do this that both track are lined up before bolting back up.The easiest way is to just run it completely back On both rails (manually doing the side that is dis engaged) then bolt up the front then run the motor to get forward to bolt up the back.

It appears that Toyota May have just over engineered these (in my opinion) causing them to go out once one motor gets weaker than the other.

As weird as it is, I have never had one come back with the second motor quitting once we have done this.

Hope this helps someone!

Take Care
Mike

To be clear. All that you are doing is unhooking the actual bracket that is attached to the rail and the motor and then zip tie the bracket out of the way so it is not flopping around. You are not removing the actual motor itself.

Sorry

It appears that Toyota May have just over engineered these (in my opinion) causing them to go out once one motor gets weaker than the other.

As weird as it is, I have never had one come back with the second motor quitting once we have done this.

All of the '80 seats that I have worked on only have one motor to adjust forward and back. Most of the gear problems that we have seen are from the cap/plug coming out, allowing miss alignment of the gear, stripping it.

I converted/modified my electric seats to be manual. its possible but not strait forward. I had to pull them completely apart while I did that I got new leather, cushions and seat heaters. I never solved the electric lumbar support just powered it into a spot I liked and disconnectied it. I stripped out all the motors and mounted the tracks onto manual tracks which boasted the seat up 3/4". I welded a cap onto the adjuster gear for the tilt back and forth of the seat and bolted a large jetta adjustor knob to it which works well. on the passenger side I got a 26mm socket and pounded it on and use a palm rachet (seemed easier)
after running them like this for the last 2 years some observations; while the fore aft adjust works perfectly the motors for the tilt adjustor actually helped hold the backs in place over time the seat backs will slowly tilt back. usually takes a bumpy road or a couple weeks to be noticiable.
If I were to do it again I would definitely do the for aft manual adjustor but I would leave the seat back motor, there is no good way to make this manual with out a crazy amount of work.

My passenger side just went out. I though about this too, but looks like just replacing the motor is going to be much less effort and expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom