Remove Gear Shifter - How To Easily (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping a old thread. Trying different shift canes last summer in my 79 for a planned five speed upgrade I had a number of issues. I purchased the SST to remove the cane. It really only fit two ways, 180° from each other. On a LHD 79+ the handles on the SST point to the transfer shift lever and hand brake handle. Currently has a 40/60 seat between that and the steering wheel tough to figure a way to get leverage. Doesn't help it's park less than a foot away from my 68. Neither of which is running. What worked the best was fingers under the transmission hump and thumbs pushing the spring loaded cap down. My 68 has 73-78 bucket seats, a transmission hump from either a 75 or 76 and H42. Only thing different then a 73-78 the steering is a little larger. Have a old HVAC tool designed to remove fan blades from the motor shaft. It is just a little small to fit the shift cane. If it did fit would make the process much easy.

Thanks for the awesome and elegant solution to a frustrating task. I didn’t have a rubber can opener handy so just modified your approach. Slipped on the box wrench and blocked the other end. Gently stepped on it to depress the spring and could back it out with a few soft taps. I like your approach, so I’ll keep a jar opener handy from now one- thanks!
6B92FB20-DFD9-4EA4-AC04-BCC94828E10A.jpeg

Thanks for the awesome and elegant solution to a frustrating task. I didn’t have a rubber can opener handy so just modified your approach. Slipped on the box wrench and blocked the other end. Gently stepped on it to depress the spring and could back it out with a few soft taps. I like your approach, so I’ll keep a jar opener handy from now one- thanks!View attachment 2130582
Dude. This worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

About 40 years ago, I asked the local dealer if I could rent their tool. They said they didn't use the tool, they used two screwdrivers. That's what I've been using.

Well done. If there had been internet in 1983 when I did this I would’ve posted it then….. 😊

any tips for a dummy that left it in gear?
Stab it into the slot, push the clutch pedal down and shift. It doesn’t need to be locked in to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom