Remove Amber Reflector In Headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone removed the amber reflector from the GX470 headlights? Is it ugly underneath? Time for someone to investigate the deletion of this ugly bastard.

Headlights.JPG

You need that amber reflector, legally. I've never seen anyone do much in the way of mods on these headlight housings, mostly HID conversions (which are money well spent IMO).

I painted my headlights to match the grill and Factor 55 winch items, while I had the headlight apart the orange reflector pops right out so I tinted it. It still glows at night with the lights on just not as bright during the day I also put in HID 6000k lights and LED's while it was apart its been done that way over a year and a half I am happy with the results, I also did the same to the Fog lights with 3000K HID's.

20160511_144727.jpg

You need that amber reflector, legally.

Well nobody asked you! haha

I painted my headlights to match the grill and Factor 55 winch items, while I had the headlight apart the orange reflector pops right out so I tinted it.

View attachment 1341888

Looks great. May I ask what you tinted it with? I am hoping to scuff up the headlight, and find a semitransparent paint to tint the bezels, similar to the sport headlights. But I might just pop the reflector out and replace it with a clear acrylic part.

Well nobody asked you! haha

Looks great. May I ask what you tinted it with? I am hoping to scuff up the headlight, and find a semitransparent paint to tint the bezels, similar to the sport headlights. But I might just pop the reflector out and replace it with a clear acrylic part.

I tried to tint the chrome backing like the sport headlights but the green color of the light is actually the chrome, I used the VHT Night Shades to tint the housing and the orange reflector lens. Good luck its a fun project

So the complete inside of your headlights is VHT? What do you mean by the green color, did the VHT not cover up the green?

So the complete inside of your headlights is VHT? What do you mean by the green color, did the VHT not cover up the green?

The inside of the headlight is a Matte Graphite, I tried the VHT but it just came out really glossy and almost black I didn't personally care for the glossy look in the light so I mixed up a color close to the stock grille the winch fairlead and prolink. The chrome in the stock headlight has a green tint to it in order to cover it up it was almost black. The Sport headlights are a smoke color versus the green.

The inside of the headlight is a Matte Graphite, I tried the VHT but it just came out really glossy and almost black I didn't personally care for the glossy look in the light so I mixed up a color close to the stock grille the winch fairlead and prolink. The chrome in the stock headlight has a green tint to it in order to cover it up it was almost black. The Sport headlights are a smoke color versus the green.

Interesting to hear that the green tint is in the chrome rather than the lense, good info!

Bumping an old thread... who else has torn into their headlights? Is it as simple as using a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive?

I just baked my fog lights to remove the little metal things that block the bulbs. I did 250* in the oven for 12 minutes. This turned out to be perfect. I did 250* for 10 minutes to put them back together. I would like to do the headlights sometime so I am interested in hearing what others have to say. However, I would be willing to bet that 250* for 12-15 minutes would work well. then another 10 to seal them back up. I think heating the whole thing would be better than using a heat gun so the heat is uniform without hot spots.

20190204_142059.jpg

20190204_144030.jpg

Is there any downside to painting the chrome interior a darker color (i.e. smoked)? Does the chrome aid in dispersing light?

I just baked my fog lights to remove the little metal things that block the bulbs. I did 250* in the oven for 12 minutes. This turned out to be perfect. I did 250* for 10 minutes to put them back together. I would like to do the headlights sometime so I am interested in hearing what others have to say. However, I would be willing to bet that 250* for 12-15 minutes would work well. then another 10 to seal them back up. I think heating the whole thing would be better than using a heat gun so the heat is uniform without hot spots.

View attachment 1903127

View attachment 1903129
What was the difference in light output?

Is there any downside to painting the chrome interior a darker color (i.e. smoked)? Does the chrome aid in dispersing light?
The low and high beam are projectors so painting the chrome around these would not affect light output. I personally would not paint the actual reflector itself for the parking and turn signals.

What was the difference in light output?
Yes it is noticeable. I installed some LED fog light bulbs. The output was pretty poor initially. Now it is probably as good as oem halogen. Honestly I just wanted to match the color to my HID low beams. I am not expecting much output from the fog lights.

I had blacked out chrome in my last set and they worked great, but they were depot housings and got stress cracked within a year. I just put in sport OEM lights and they look great and perform very well with LED bulbs.

Bumping this old thread... I am thinking about pulling my lights apart. Original 2008 factory lights. I polished them and they are starting to get some very faint spider webbing I was thinking about painting them a dark grey. Since I will only get a couple more years out of them anyway I guess.

Does everyone just re-heat and reuse the factory sealant or did you guys run new butyl rope glue?

I had blacked out chrome in my last set and they worked great, but they were depot housings and got stress cracked within a year. I just put in sport OEM lights and they look great and perform very well with LED bulbs.

Damn the DEPO lights only lasted a year (or less)?

yep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom