Reman Denso alternator problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been having similar struggles. Replaced the stock alternator with a Denso reman on my 01 LX with 175k. Now it wants to idle around 500rpms which I guess is too low for the alternator to charge. If I bump the throttle up to 700 it starts charging but isn't as strong as my stock alternator which usually ran in the mid 14s under load. But now reading this post it looks like maybe my stock alternator was overcharging? I replaced my positive battery cable connection and today I'm going to do the negative cable connection as I found after cleaning it became loose. Hope you get yours straightened out!
Installed #2 alt. last weekend and so far it's been good/consistent. I've been researching similar symptoms, watching YouTube how to test an alt. , and also bought a battery tester/analyzer for peace of mind. I'll have to keep an eye on the rpm's, its my wife's daily so I don't get a lot of feedback unless it dies. I don't think it was over charging, cold start around 14V is spec and then drops as I turn on additional loads and keeps up with demand at high 12V-13V. Both +/- cables are clean including the ground.

2001LC

"I've not noticed alternators coming with female connection coated with white lithium grease" All 3 (Original, 1st & 2nd reman) alternators had white grease, I didn't notice when pulling the original. I also used the clear dielectric on #2 alt. replacement.

2001LC

"I've also noticed more alternators failing in rigs without #1 undershild (skid). Likely due to excessive water, dirt, satls, etc blow into alternator." Interesting...I didn't reattach the skid plate after the 1st alt. replacement to monitor the new install, we had several rainy days.

2001LC

"I've not noticed alternators coming with female connection coated with white lithium grease" All 3 (Original, 1st & 2nd reman) alternators had white grease, I didn't notice when pulling the original. I also used the clear dielectric on #2 alt. replacement.

2001LC

"I've also noticed more alternators failing in rigs without #1 undershild (skid). Likely due to excessive water, dirt, satls, etc blow into alternator." Interesting...I didn't reattach the skid plate after the 1st alt. replacement to monitor the new install, we had several rainy days.
Interesting you saw white grease.

Here's the last one I replaced with a Toyota Denso reman, the old had no markings/PN #. No grease on either.

IMG_2529.JPEG

IMG_2538.JPEG

2001LC

2001LC

Are you buying Toyota Dense (best), Denso (second best) or something else?

My old alternator (source unknown) from PO had some white grease. I remember the PO saying the old alternator was newly rebuilt.

The brushes look newer than 21 yo. Maybe it was re-brushed?

1637581161068.png

1637581903683.png

I don't recall seeing a light blue paint finish on the Denso from my 1999 Tacoma.

1637581250160.png

I don't remember seeing white grease on the Denso rebuilt from Rock Auto. I can't see it in the picture. I would have inserted some CRC dielectric as a matter of course during installation.

Since the covering was bare metal, I polished and sprayed them with clear acrylic (used for aluminum wheels with heat) to keep it from tarnishing. It helps to keep mud and dirt from sticking allows easier water cleanup.

The difference in outer cover between this and the old alternator was interesting.

Could this explain why it continues to work after being run underwater?

1637581550659.png

The Denso receipt from Rock Auto. Since the old alternator was working when I replaced it, I kept it as a spare and didn't return the core.

1637582594596.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom