Reliable Method to Verify Frame Condition on Possible Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 2006 with 154K incl night vision and tow package. Seats, body, interior, maintanance records back to ownership, all books, etc, and in general exceptionally nice condition. I'm looking at $23.5K and while I've seen a few closer to $20K with similar miles but not as nice condition-wise, I'm thinking paying a premium (IF that is a premium?) for what appears to be an exceptional example may be worth it.

However...The PO had sealed the undercarriage with rubberized sealant since it was a Northern car. I don't know when that was done so I will have a PPI that will include an in-depth inspection for rust. What is the best way to test for rust damage if it's lurking under the sealant? I'd assume a hammer and punch but looking for any advice on that score. Thanks!

I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle that has been undercoated. There's probably a reason why it was done (to hide rust) and there's no way to tell what the condition is under it.
Does encapsulating rust like that stop the corrosion or does it continue to chew away underneath? I'm no chemist but not exposed to the air, I'd guess the oxidation would have been stopped. I've seen quite a few of these with undercoating.

Do not buy cars with rubberized undercoatings. Those rust 1000 times faster than any other car.
Take a look at this video.

Do not buy cars with rubberized undercoatings. Those rust 1000 times faster than any other car.
Take a look at this video.

Thanks!

So there’s no way to tell if there was/is severe rust under the undercoating? Here are a couple of pictures of undercarriage.
a104_3.jpeg
a104_2.jpeg

Sounds like perhaps I should skip this one. I’m in no rush. Better to eat a deposit than deal with a nightmare later. I just don’t know enough about these rust potential vehicles.

The exhaust being replaced with aftermarket is another red flag. The factory exhaust will last well beyond 154k if not subject to rust. The only way I’d consider that one was if I personally saw it with my own eyes or had someone I trust look at it.

The exhaust being replaced with aftermarket is another red flag. The factory exhaust will last well beyond 154k if not subject to rust. The only way I’d consider that one was if I personally saw it with my own eyes or had someone I trust look at it.
I wondered about that myself. Can you tell if that’s the rubberized type of undercoating or are they all equally concerning? I’m certainly not married to this one.

It looks like the front splash shield or whatever you call it is gone. In my experience that was the first thing to rot out, followed by the gas tank shield.

So the fact that the shield is gone is a bit concerning to me. Looks strange where the body mounts come off the frame.

usually you can see the pitting etc from the rust but who knows. Ask for shots with the spare dropped and the spare tire hoist. That usually is a give away if rust is an issue.

Good luck.
John

It looks like the front splash shield or whatever you call it is gone. In my experience that was the first thing to rot out, followed by the gas tank shield.

So the fact that the shield is gone is a bit concerning to me. Looks strange where the body mounts come off the frame.

usually you can see the pitting etc from the rust but who knows. Ask for shots with the spare dropped and the spare tire hoist. That usually is a give away if rust is an issue.

Good luck.
John

I just told the guy I’m not going to buy it. Too much unknown. Thanks for the education!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom