Builds Red's Silver build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my Red GX a few short years back, had withdrawals since then. Looked for 2 months or so another one, had a few deals not make it for different reasons, even lost out to BenzilDawg"s GX on this forum by like less than a day as the current deal I was on was not looking as good as it sounded. BenzilDawgs GX was every bit worth it compared to the GX"s I saw in the previous weeks and I just should have saved time, gas etc. looking elsewhere. I really wanted a black or dark blue nautical Metallic with dark gray interior. preferably with non nav for an easier sound system upgrade.
So finally, I messaged with another GXOR member who was selling his for a few months it seemed. Sked what his lowest price would be, agreed on the very friendly price and drove 3 hours and bought it. There is literally no rust on the underside, interior is great shape, no exhaust leak at the manifold or underneath, no sunroof assembly intermittent noise while driving, some rattling speakers, and what looks like a new dash, soft to the touch, no cracks, beautiful! So I settled on the silver and so far loving it. Needs attention to an item or 2 but you know how that goes. here is a few shots of when I picked it up, Got a set of 4 Runner wheels on it, didnt like it like I thought, then got a pair of used Icons which I love more than I thought I would with the stock size 265/65/17 Michelins on them. Dont know how much of a "build" I am goimg to do as far as lifitng. I am trying to stay stock height right now. Have a pair of 4runner struts and rear shocks with 500 miles that will go on next maybe. Having a slight vibration at 40/50 mph and again at 60 acting differently on different highway pavements. I like the stock suspension but if the fronts are worn ill have to replace.

Pick up shots:
360155779_10114329475408262_313210468269935391_n.jpg

Interior
360130935_10114329475697682_5629879122845443535_n.jpg

First set of Toyota Rims ( for sale btw )
IMG_7325.jpg

GXOR marketplace used ICON rims
IMG_7382.jpg
IMG_7387.jpg

The Rims look way better in real life. The pictures don't do them justice at all.

Currently working on the speakers. Speaker repaired the Sub, sounds good, started on the front door speaker repairs but the previous repair attempt they didnt clean off all the old foam and it was a mess. So 20 minutes into trying to clean it up I abandoned the mission and ordered DS-18's for the front doors and a SKAR sub might as well just replace that while I have it out. I am trying to source a clean 771 AC unit for the non nav conversion.

IMG_7421.jpeg
skar sub in, some sound deadening inside and inner skin on front doors waiting on ds18 6x9s to arrive. Rear doors and hatch speakers next. Still not sure what tweeter to put in the hatch.
IMG_7407.jpeg
IMG_7411.jpeg
IMG_7416.jpeg

View attachment 3493436skar sub in, some sound deadening inside and inner skin on front doors waiting on ds18 6x9s to arrive. Rear doors and hatch speakers next. Still not sure what tweeter to put in the hatch.
View attachment 3493433View attachment 3493434View attachment 3493435
Hey so I was replacing my door speakers, but realized I didn't have/there is no connection module for the speakers being replaced for the door's mid and tweeter speakers. How did you connect yours? Soldered wires?

By module do you mean a plastic connector that makes the connection removable like in the pic below? the mids and tweeter are mounted in the door panel and have their respective conns in the pic below. hopefully like the 6x9 there is a wiring adaptor available like the one in the link I am including. If the spade connectors on the end of the wires seem like a good fit I will use them for these replacement speakers. the sub I did soldera wire from one coil to the other + to - , and then soldered 2 wires to the terminals, those 2 I attached sadly with wire nuts and tape as my connection in the sub box and reused the existing premade lexus conn. I bought a soldering set up from harbor freight and just barely got a usable solder connection. ( surely my attempt outside on a slightly windy day )
I didn't get to the mid and tweeter because the seem to be working ok at the moment.
https://a.co/d/afaKWek

By module do you mean a plastic connector that makes the connection removable like in the pic below? the mids and tweeter are mounted in the door panel and have their respective conns in the pic below. hopefully like the 6x9 there is a wiring adaptor available like the one in the link I am including. If the spade connectors on the end of the wires seem like a good fit I will use them for these replacement speakers. the sub I did soldera wire from one coil to the other + to - , and then soldered 2 wires to the terminals, those 2 I attached sadly with wire nuts and tape as my connection in the sub box and reused the existing premade lexus conn. I bought a soldering set up from harbor freight and just barely got a usable solder connection. ( surely my attempt outside on a slightly windy day )
I didn't get to the mid and tweeter because the seem to be working ok at the moment.
https://a.co/d/afaKWek
Yeah unfortunately there is no white click-in speaker connectors like the ones you've linked, for the mid and tweeter. It's a white hard-wired connection in the door. I don't have a picture but I'll try to find something online to show you.

Yeah unfortunately there is no white click-in speaker connectors like the ones you've linked, for the mid and tweeter. It's a white hard-wired connection in the door. I don't have a picture but I'll try to find something online to show you.
IMG_7431.jpg

There is connectors on the car's end; but there is no aftermarket wiring harness that connects from your aftermarket speakers to the plastic connectors in the door.

Look around halfway down of this guide on Crutchfield ("Removing the front door speakers") that explains it.. Looks like I'll have to solder or use the suggest Posi-products connectors.

just had neeck surgery 2 nights ago, recovering a bit. My DS18's came in today. I took the Gx through a car wash, still have the inside panels off, I spotted some water going down the corner window into the inside of the door. it dripped right into the open speaker hole. I just ordered a set of baffles for front and rear to cover the speakers. I was thinking about this before hand. Glad I got to see it. I think its normal but perhaps a prado trim kit is next. also ordered a set of 8ohm tweeters for the rear hatch.

Also just ordered an oem set of sport headlights. thinking of canceling before they ship. Saw a few pics of it on silver and not sure if its worth the change.

The timing belt was suppose to have been changed in the last few years. While I wait for the receipts of work done by the previous owner who I don’t have reason to distrust, what are your opinions of this belt? Can you tell by pics?
IMG_7322.jpeg
IMG_7320.jpeg

It's hard to tell by the pics. Assuming your rig is >100K but less than <200K, a way to tell in absence of records is to look at the timing cover bolts and water pump bolts. Usually if the belt has been changed the 10mm bolts will have marks on them from being turned by a wrench. And the water pump casting will be brighter aluminum than the other aluminum castings on the engine. Ideally whoever would have changed the belt would have put a timing belt replacement sticker somewhere in the engine bay as well, my rig had one on the plastic engine covers.

If the water pump looks crusty/corroded and the bolts appear to have been un-touched since they left Japan it could be the original belt.

When I changed mine out at 180k it was not the original belt, but there was no visual difference in the two. I would not trust a visual inspection to tell you anything on the belts.

It's hard to tell by the pics. Assuming your rig is >100K but less than <200K, a way to tell in absence of records is to look at the timing cover bolts and water pump bolts. Usually if the belt has been changed the 10mm bolts will have marks on them from being turned by a wrench. And the water pump casting will be brighter aluminum than the other aluminum castings on the engine. Ideally whoever would have changed the belt would have put a timing belt replacement sticker somewhere in the engine bay as well, my rig had one on the plastic engine covers.

If the water pump looks crusty/corroded and the bolts appear to have been un-touched since they left Japan it could be the original belt.
It’s got 180,000 , there is a sticker from 95,000 in 2013 but was supposedly changed again. No other sticker. When I had my red gx timing belt changed changed 3 years ago the mechanic forgot to put my Aisin sticker on. Hoping this is similiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom