Recommended Equipment List for Sand Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are the state requirements for Maryland and Assateague Island.

Would love to hear what else you guys carry or what versions of listed items below.

OSV operators in designated zone must carry the following equipment:
- A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
- A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
- A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1½" hardwood.
- A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less.
- A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long. Minimum diameter is ½" for nylon or Dacron ropes; ¾" for all other ropes; ¼" for carbon steel cable; 5/16" for chain links.

Are you going in one of the vehicles listed in your sign ..?

Are any of those have a winch ..?

6K pounds does not seems to be enough if you are pulling one of those out of the sand .. depending on conditions, wheel and tires I've been on 10 PSI on sand ..

I would recommend some sort of winch and a sand winching anchor type device. Burrying a tire 3' deep can bring suck.

And i would always expect 10psi or LESS invsand.

Are you going in one of the vehicles listed in your sign ..?

Are any of those have a winch ..?

6K pounds does not seems to be enough if you are pulling one of those out of the sand .. depending on conditions, wheel and tires I've been on 10 PSI on sand ..
Yeah the Gx470. The tow strap I have is rated for 20k. Might be time to think about a winch huh...

Ive run in the sand for my entire life (50), and ive never used, or even seen a winch being used. I started out in Mi. on the dunes of Silver Lake, but I now live in NC, and I run the beaches. Now im not saying they aren't needed, ive just never needed one, but then again Silver Lake is probably not the MOST challenging area there is! But........if these guys swear by them then look into one. (my vehicles always get a winch as soon as I buy them, but I run in a lot of remote areas)
Back to your question though.....if it were me, my 3 items I WONT leave home without (for sand)-
1) Good "tug" strap.....NOT a chain! You want one that expands and contracts to "jerk" stuck vehicle out.
2) MaxxTrax (or cheaper knock-offs) worthe their weight in gold!
3) CO2 set-up (unless you have a York!) because if you run a tire off a rim you need the big power co2 or a York offers to quickly get tire back on rim.
Shovel, pick and axe are always on my truck, as well as commo!
Air down to 6-10psi and LET ER RIP! LOL.....Speed DOES smooth out whoop-de-do's though....let that suspension work! Good Luck!

I don't your kind of sand , but been through the Sahara desert some times , I feel free to add my 2 cents .
1 . shovel
2. sand tracks
3 . good air compressor , generaly the sands and , and you need to reinstall the tires .
4. a tow strop , if you travel with some one , other wise it is use less
any thing els is extra weight .

bye Renago

egitto 2007 077.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom