Rebuild of 4-Speed and Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@POPO AGIE thanks for posting that picture. That is the sleeve that's in your post #57, picture titled "removed the rear bearing cover"? My sleeve has a wear groove in it. I was just reading the FSM and the output shaft nut is supposed to be torqued to 100 lb*ft, but my nut wasn't near that tight, in fact I could wiggle it back and forth within the groove on the shaft where you stake the nut. I'm 99.99% sure my T case had never been touched before, so this is very odd.

@POPO AGIE thanks for posting that picture. That is the sleeve that's in your post #57, picture titled "removed the rear bearing cover"? My sleeve has a wear groove in it. I was just reading the FSM and the output shaft nut is supposed to be torqued to 100 lb*ft, but my nut wasn't near that tight, in fact I could wiggle it back and forth within the groove on the shaft where you stake the nut. I'm 99.99% sure my T case had never been touched before, so this is very odd.
Did the shim and washer also show wear and was the nut staked? I used a 1/2" drive impact to get the nut off set at full power and the compresser had not built up the regulated pressure yet, and it took a bit but I don't know what the torque really was.

The rear output seal leaked and soaked the brake shoes and I replaced the seal and the shoes from under the truck and I think I used a torque wrench back then which had to be in the early to mid 80s . The rear main seal leaked the entire time I had the 2F engine and should have made the dealership replace it when I took it in for the first oil change.

I know the history my my FJ40 because I bought it with 30 miles from the dealership in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Did the shim and washer also show wear and was the nut staked? I used a 1/2" drive impact to get the nut off set at full power and the compresser had not built up the regulated pressure yet, and it took a bit but I don't know what the torque really was.

The rear output seal leaked and soaked the brake shoes and I replaced the seal and the shoes from under the truck and I think I used a torque wrench back then which had to be in the early to mid 80s . The rear main seal leaked the entire time I had the 2F engine and should have made the dealership replace it when I took it in for the first oil change.

I know the history my my FJ40 because I bought it with 30 miles from the dealership in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
My spacer is FUBAR. and NLA.
36213-60011

20210705_140811.jpg

20210705_140823.jpg

Have the material analyzed and have new ones made. A good machine shop should have a gun that will tell them what it is and if it is not something exautic they should be able to machine new parts.

We do it all the time on turbine outages when the Customer does not want to pay the OEM price go to a third party so I can't give them the material spec for a third party

Last edited:
I had a bearing puller set delivered, but every jaw was too large to fit in the holes in the case to get jaws behind the bearing race.

So I ran to NAPA with the Toyota repair manual to show them what I was trying to do. I also took the smallest arm in the kit to show that it has to be smaller to fit in the hole in the case. Well, I came to the conclusion that I would have to modify the jaws to a profile that would go through the holes and get behind the bearings.
BEARING REMOVAL HOLES.jpg

COMPARISON OF THE THE JAWS BEFORE AND AFTER GRINDING THE PROFILE TO FIT IN THE CASE HOLES

JAWS BEFORE AND AFTER GRINDING A NEW PROFILE TO FIT IN THE CASE HOLES TO PULL BEARINGS.jpg

PROFILE 2
PROFILE 2.jpg

PROFILE 3.jpg

THE FIRST JAW THAT FIT
FIRST JAW THAT FIT.jpg

BOTH JAWS FIT

Will attach to the puller after the last snap ring is removed and start pulling bearings and shafts.

BOTH JAWS FIT.jpg

Good job Popo! You have been a busy man lately. Thanks for sharing.
It helps to have a seasonal job and I am transferring from an affiliate of GE to GE Steam Power so I have been off for a few weeks. We had a very busy fall and spring. I work 1650 hours before overtime and I have ~400 left and if we have a good fall I will have premium time before January.

It helps to have a seasonal job and I am transferring from an affiliate of GE to GE Steam Power so I have been off for a few weeks. We had a very busy fall and spring. I work 1650 hours before overtime and I have ~400 left and if we have a good fall I will have premium time before January.
From Cheyenne. Passed through your parts going to Jackson Hole elk hunting many times. Wolves showed up and it all changed. I still apply for the bison tag. Someday....

From Cheyenne. Passed through your parts going to Jackson Hole elk hunting many times. Wolves showed up and it all changed. I still apply for the bison tag. Someday....
My Nephew lives in Cheyenne and is the head wrestling coach at the new high school and teaches PE.

I bought my FJ in Cheyenne when there was a Toytoa dealership there in the late 70s.

I grew up in Green River, then moved to PA for a few years until the property taxes put me in Iraq and told the Wife if I got out alive I had to move back to the mountains.

My Nephew lives in Cheyenne and is the head wrestling coach at the new high school and teaches PE.

I bought my FJ in Cheyenne when there was a Toytoa dealership there in the late 70s.

I grew up in Green River, then moved to PA for a few years until the property taxes put me in Iraq and told the Wife if I got out alive I had to move back to the mountains.
If your nephews name is TJ. He lives across the street. You and your FJ40 have a long history.

If your nephews name is TJ. He lives across the street. You and your FJ40 have a long history.
That is so cool. I use to take TJ and his Sister skiing in the FJ40 in Teton Village and Togwotee on the west side of the Tetons. TJ and I went camping with my Son when he was 3, up on the Union Pass road, wound up not at the Horse Shoe lake and it snowed. I did not have the top on because the last time it was too hot during highway driving.

I will bet TJ likes your FJ45.

Last edited:
That is so cool. I use to take TJ and his Sister skiing in the FJ40 in Teton Village and Togwotee on the west side of the Tetons. TJ and I went camping with my Son when he was 3, up on the Union Pass road, wound up not at the Horse Shoe lake and it snowed. I did not have the top on because the last time it was too hot during highway driving.

When TJ saw my FJ45. He told me about a relative with a Landcruiser that took him to some cool places. He mentioned the Diesel engine swap too. I read your posts and just realized you bought it new. I have lived across the street from TJ for over 8 years. I am lucky to have good neighbors. When I see TJ I will tell him about you too. Wyoming is a big state but it is still like a small town. I hope it doesn’t change.

Small world. Huge state and you live across from his nephew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom