Rear year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to figure out what year rear I have in my 66 FJ45. I picked up cylinder rebuilding kits for a 66 and the seals are too big. Is there a way to tell?

0912171720.jpg

1006171909.jpg

Was the kit you bought for a FJ45 or a FJ40? They are different. Or possibly someone switched the brake cylinders in the past.

65swb45 will know!!!!!!!!!
It turns out the kit was not year specific. The cups new cups are 1-1/8. The old ones have no numbers. I'm trying to find something to measure the inside of the cylinder with before breaking it down again.
Thanks for the info.

@Angelo
This is an OEM set on EBay, claiming 1963 - 7/70. Do yours look like these?

• These MIGHT have an "L" and a "1' cast in the side, on either side of the TEQ bug. If so, the diameter would be 1 inch. For what it's worth, my 73 FJ40 rear cylinders are 7/8 inch.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
@Angelo
This is an OEM set on EBay, claiming 1963 - 7/70. Do yours look like these?

• These MIGHT have an "L" and a "1' cast in the side, on either side of the TEQ bug. If so, the diameter would be 1 inch. For what it's worth, my 73 FJ40 rear cylinders are 7/8 inch.

• Thank you.
    Do you know how I tell the difference in the rebuild kit numbers?

@Angelo

You have a '66 FJ40 with a front disc conversion; Do you know if the rear wheel cylinders were updated as well?

That's why I posted a picture of what rear cylinders look like. If your's look like the picture, the wheel cylinders were not upgraded and you could order rebuilding kits from a knowledgeable vendor like @cruiseroutfit at Cruiser Outfitters
for the original wheel cylinders.

If they don't look like the picture, then you have more work to do to identify the sizes.

Even if you get the kits, once you clean out your wheel cylinders for inspection, if there is any corrosion you may have to replace them with new ones.

Also, the picture you sent looks like all kinds of gear oil all over them. If so, you will need to replace your rear axle seals, and possibly bearings, etc.

@Angelo

You have a '66 FJ40 with a front disc conversion; Do you know if the rear wheel cylinders were updated as well?

That's why I posted a picture of what rear cylinders look like. If your's look like the picture, the wheel cylinders were not upgraded and you could order rebuilding kits from a knowledgeable vendor like @cruiseroutfit at Cruiser Outfitters
for the original wheel cylinders.

If they don't look like the picture, then you have more work to do to identify the sizes.

Even if you get the kits, once you clean out your wheel cylinders for inspection, if there is any corrosion you may have to replace them with new ones.

Also, the picture you sent looks like all kinds of gear oil all over them. If so, you will need to replace your rear axle seals, and possibly bearings, etc.

The inside of my cylinders were clean and free of corrosion. The outer boots were oversizes when compared to the new boots, which fit the piston heads correctly, Since the cups were not damaged and the new ones didn't fit I have use the old ones and put it back together, test driven it and it seems to be OK. I do not drive it a lot but have taken it on three local runs. The plan is to open the drum next weekend, weather permitting, do a visual check and see if I can see what marking are on the cylinders.

The FSM indicates 1 1/8 inch dia. front wheel cylinders, 1 inch dia rear cylinders:

upload_2017-10-9_20-34-3.png

upload_2017-10-9_20-32-31.png

The FSM indicates 1 1/8 inch dia. front wheel cylinders, 1 inch dia rear cylinders:

I checked the cylinders. there is a '1' on them. No leakage after putting it back together, so far. I am wondering if the reason why it was leaking is that the adjustments was off and the cup got too far up in the cylinder. These are completely free floating, no pins to tie the shoe's in to the backing plate and no self adjusting mechanism. there is plenty of meat left on the shoe's so I used a break spoon to fit them so that there is just a little drag. hopefully that will ware the shoes just a bit and I'll get the winter out of it before planning a disk conversion in the spring.
Thanks for all the help.

I started having the left lock up and the right not, when I stopped short. Since they should have evened out by now I can only presume the right cylinders are leaking again. Although I don't see any fluid, I haven't taken the drum off yet. The reservoir doesn't seem to have lost anything but now I will be checking it. Finding 1" right rear, front and back cylinders for this isn't turning out to be easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom