Rear Suspension Conversion Spring question 81081 vs 81045 HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an air leak somewhere and don't feel like band aiding the air ride system, so I have my order on the way for the conversion. I need to do it this weekend, and it seems like all the manufactured kits are 2-3 week run time before I could get them, so I have decided to make my own.

I just ordered everthing from Amazon-

Energy Suspension 15.6103G RAMPED Coil SPRNG Isolator Set

A&R Sports Ice Hockey Practice Puck, Black - 4 Pack

2 of Genuine Toyota 48302-35040 Spring Seat Sub-Assembly

Moog 81045 Coil Spring Set

Moog 81081 Coil Spring for FJ cruiser - Actually went with these because of the ride height

Seeing the Arnott kit and some of the older kits without the bottom locator, I am going to use the hockey puck method and drill a hole for my 1/2 bolt and call it a day. I am on the fence about making a sleeve for that bolt as there doesn't seem to be much stress on that part (since its not included in some kits).

I do have a questions about springs. I found the Moog springs that are used in some of the other kits and its the 81045 Moog springs that I believe are for the v8 4wd 4Runner. I was on the fence about getting the Moog 81081 FJ springs and may still order them today.
My question is, who is running these springs and how do you like them and can you show me a photo of what the ride height it.

I am going to try and provide a small write up as well.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
I've got the 81081 in mine. Used MetalTech bottom mounts and the cone isolators. (BTW I saw you already ordered, but did you check eBay first? I saved about $20 a piece on mine buying from a guy on eBay). In terms of ride height, here is the best photo I have right now. I'll try to get a better photo on level ground at some point. No weight in the back or anything. It seems to ride pretty much same height as the airbags on the "Normal" setting. Ride quality is great with the FJ springs and it really doesn't feel any different than the bags did.
P3VJw3Z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. I looked at ebay, but the shipping on most of them and the fact i need them this weekend left me with ordering from amazon since I have prime. I am under $250 for everything right now. I will probably have about $5 in hardware. When you installed your kit, did you have to remove the sway bar or shocks? Also I like the way yours sits as well.
I think i found a picture with the 4Runner springs and it sits lower in the rear.

Thanks for the photo. I looked at ebay, but the shipping on most of them and the fact i need them this weekend left me with ordering from amazon since I have prime. I am under $250 for everything right now. I will probably have about $5 in hardware. When you installed your kit, did you have to remove the sway bar or shocks? Also I like the way yours sits as well.
I think i found a picture with the 4Runner springs and it sits lower in the rear.

I removed the lower shock mounts for more flexibility. However we did not remove the sway bar or anything. Probably should have since even with a spring compressor it took quite a bit of movement to get the FJ springs in there. I had read that the 4Runner springs sit lower as well as compromise hauling capability a bit, but are a bit more comfortable. I have no complaints about the FJ ride though.

After all the reviews I have seen online I ordered the Moog 81081 Springs. One guy said that if you have a 3yr old and grocery's in the back it bottoms out with the 4runner springs (moog 81045). The guy above said he switched his 81045's out for Dobinson stock height springs as well because would bottom out often as well. If I trimmed the factory bump stops, would that put to much pressure on the factory shocks with the dampening control?

Ill post some pictures of my install when I do it on Sunday.

Last edited:
i have 81081 and i havent dealt with bottoming out with 4 adults in the car.. granted i was just driving normally.

for those thinking about running 81081 with metatech conversion... remember to trim the spring down by 3/4" on the bottom spring to ensure the spring easily fits over the conversion kit.

i have 81081 and i havent dealt with bottoming out with 4 adults in the car.. granted i was just driving normally.

for those thinking about running 81081 with metatech conversion... remember to trim the spring down by 3/4" on the bottom spring to ensure the spring easily fits over the conversion kit.

Are you referring to trimming the middle part of the MetalTech kit? I can confirm you can do this OR you can put the Metaltech kit in the spring before you put it up then slide the spring onto the axle. That's what we did since we had issues getting the spring over the top of the kit, so we just put the metal tech perch in the spring and slid it in, then bolted it up with the spring in place.

Possibly? But then again it's a known issue with the Moog 81081 spring .4runners run into that issue as well .other than that it rides great

Ive been runnning the 81081's in the rear for about a year. No bottoming out, even with 6 adults and a dog. Overall they ride fine but I will eventually replace with toytec's to match the fronts im running. I have no idea what the spring rate is for the moogs but it feels way soften than the toytecs.

Thanks for all the input. I have both springs sets on the way and will be sending the 81045's back.
Ill update on the Hockey puck method as well. I have thinking about this method and will be making a sleeve for the hole because my luck, the damn thing would squeak like crazy if i didn't.

Last edited:
Just doing some test fitting on my DIY coil spring conversion. Also doesn’t look like I’ll have to cut the springs any either.

Energy Suspension 15.6103G RAMPED Coil SPRNG Isolator Set

Moog 81081 Springs

2 hockey pucks

Genuine OEM Toyota 48302-35040 Spring Seat Sub-Assembly

Here are some pictures of test fitting the pieces for tomorrow’s conversion.

Last edited:
So just an update, I got everything installed with the Moog 81081 Springs.
Drilled a hole in the middle of the Hockey Pucks and was able to install. I think I used 1.5" 1/2" bolt and nylon locking nut and a washer on each side of the hockey puck. Looking at other kits, you could probably stack 2 on top of each other and use a 2.5" 1/2" bolt for added height of the lower isolater.
So far rides great, went out last week and rode some trails, got a little articulation and the springs remained in place. Love the ride height and will get a measurement sometime this week. I also went ahead and replaced my rear shocks with 4 runner shocks because my shocks were rusted pretty bad.

Also i cut the factory bump stops at the red line on the attached photo. I have read many people having issues hitting the OE bump stop and having issues with it. I don't mind cutting because the upper Toyota isolators act as a progressive bump stop.

So just an update, I got everything installed with the Moog 81081 Springs.
Drilled a hole in the middle of the Hockey Pucks and was able to install. I think I used 1.5" 1/2" bolt and nylon locking nut and a washer on each side of the hockey puck. Looking at other kits, you could probably stack 2 on top of each other and use a 2.5" 1/2" bolt for added height of the lower isolater.
So far rides great, went out last week and rode some trails, got a little articulation and the springs remained in place. Love the ride height and will get a measurement sometime this week. I also went ahead and replaced my rear shocks with 4 runner shocks because my shocks were rusted pretty bad.

Also i cut the factory bump stops at the red line on the attached photo. I have read many people having issues hitting the OE bump stop and having issues with it. I don't mind cutting because the upper Toyota isolators act as a progressive bump stop.

I"ll be doing this finally this week. planned on it over a year after seeing this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom