Rear speakers in 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a picture of the rear cargo speaker placements in my truck.

attachment.php

What size are those? And are they in factory mounts?

The factory has a mount on one side only. I think it was the passenger side. I got another mount out of the second piggy we needed to make mine so I have one on each side. I cut the factory speaker cover into a second cargo panel for the stock look. If you didn't know better you'd say it was stock.

They take a standard 5"x7" speaker so long as it has mounting tabs at each end of the long axis.

rear speakers

I've seen factory speakers mounted in both sides of the cargo area in various years of the 55 (but not on the same truck). The last 76 I parted had the speaker on the pasenger side, earlier trucks like the most recent one I got, a 71, had it on the driver side. I thought this was quite odd, why would they possibly have changed? regarding front speakers I have only ever seen a factory (or dealer installed) front speaker on the passenger side.

I'd like to see what others have done with permanently mounting rear speakers. I always have a lot of gear in the cargo area so mounting speakers in the side panels results in the sound getting muffled by all the gear. For a few years I have been running 6x9's in boxes sitting on the back seat. Sound great but are a hassle when I need the passenger space back there ro when folding the rear seat uop to sleep back there. I have 5 1/4" round speakers in the front doors. Gary S

One of the PO's punched sheetmetal screws into the flat part of the rear corners to mount speakers. So I went ahead and reused the holes and mounted decent speakers. I also had an FJ60 center console stashed so I cut holes for small speakers in the lid for speakers up front.

:idea:
speaker.jpg
speaker2.jpg

The last 76 I parted had the speaker on the pasenger side, earlier trucks like the most recent one I got, a 71, had it on the driver side. I thought this was quite odd, why would they possibly have changed? Gary S

For some reason the wiring harness switched sides sometime around '75. I'd bet that's when the speakers switched sides as well. I just ran the opposite side speaker wire along with the wiring harness all the way around the back and then up to the front to catch the second speaker. I had the whole wiring harness out of the truck at the time so it was easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom