Rear Speaker (Cargo area) bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear (very rear, cargo area) speaker (the small speaker, not the subwoofer) on my 2020 GX460 is making hissing static noises and sounds like the speaker is bad? I'm talking to the dealer to see if it is under warranty, but they are an hour and half away. Does anyone know how to remove this speaker? I presume some of the interior panels have to come out, but I'm hoping I don't have to remove everything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee
GX460

You're not going to like it but here you go.... (attached PDF) You don't have to remove the subwoofer to get the tweeter, it's just all the same section of the manual. Steps 1-17 are the same. Getting those rear cargo pillar trim panels off requires removing the lower large panel, which requires removing the seatbelt and a lot of other stuff. You also don't have to completely remove the rear door weather stripping, you can just pull it back.

Attachments

• Rear Speaker removal.pdf
    676.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot, before you start all this you need to remove the 3rd row seat on that side to get the large lower trim panels off 🤦. You'll probably spend less time driving the 3hr round trip than doing all that : /

Last edited:
Is the rear speaker only in the Mark Levinson sound system?
EDIT: Sorry... I need to read closer... you aren't talking about the subwoofer
Yes

Rear driver side subwoofer is only used with ML

Fans can go bad in the amp as well but there are some third party fans that one can shoehorn in there. My fan was making a noise for a while but seems to be ok now. Dreaded taking everything apart to get at it.

screen_shot_2019_05_31_at_2_06_19_pm_2121e643088149371c20883a152b03fbc9966f85.png

[Mark Levinson]
screen_shot_2019_05_31_at_2_07_36_pm_904ef55520b4e6b0145b19df94ce5428c63e4cc6.png

[Base stereo]

screen_shot_2019_05_31_at_2_07_29_pm_e0aa87d0fa19038f468fcf700201c8ac0064a011.png

Last edited:
I just went out to the garage and pulled that trim panel away from the top. I think you could theoretically get it out without taking the lower panel out. If you work it pretty carefully you’ll probably want to take the last screw out of the panel that is behind the little plastic ‘T’ thats meant to hold the luggage cover. Then you could probably pull the top of the deckboard trim cover away enough to get that panel off.

The thing I circled is where the screw is. The Little L I drew is where the upper cover under laps the lower cover. You’ll need to pull the lower cover back enough to get those clips off without breaking or bending the plastic.

That should only take you 10 or 15 minutes.

IMG_7195.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg
IMG_7196.jpeg

Last edited:
@jakemccurdy and @Acrad Wow, thanks for the info. I should have been more clear, yes it is the ML, and my issue is with the small speaker on the right side, NOT the sub. I've put in a call to the Dealer to see if it is covered by warranty, but honestly I feel better about replacing it myself than the Dealer. I'm traveling right now, but I'll pull the panel when I get back and post what I find.

Thanks again!
Lee

I'll pull the panel when I get back and post what I find.
You’ll probably need to remove the bolt that’s behing the plastic circle right above the cup holder to pull the lower panel back enough to to remove the upper. IIRC that upper panel is clipped in underlaying the lower the whole way to the window. Theres a few shots showing these panels off in my latest video on the platform build starting about 3min in. Good luck!

IMG_7193.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom