Rear Main Seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I rebuilt my motor, and realized through an oil leak I had not put in a rear main seal, What a PUTZ.

So couple of photos are attached. There seems to be 2 seals that need to be installed. The first is a rubber seal that is black, concave and fits nicely around the clutch nub (Pictures 1, 2 and 3)

The second is a seal that is white rubber coated with metal on the inside. It does not fit very easily over the crankshaft. Photo 4. Phot0 5 shows the flywheel with the rubber seal on the clutch nub, and the white seal on the engine side of the flywheel..which brings me to my dumb question:
  1. Which one is the rear main seal,
  2. do they both go on and
  3. how do I install the white rubber one? It is fairly snug on the crank shaft. The inside of the white seal has three (3) steel groves, assuming to keep oil in place.
In a previous thread, someone indicated that the rear main seal sits between the flywheel and the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Boaf

Rubber Seal 1.jpg

Rubber Seal on clutch 2.jpg

Rubber seal not fitting 3.jpg

White Seal not fitting Crank 4.jpg

Rubber Seal - White Seal 5.jpg

@Boaf 32

Your rear main seal is already in place, shown in picture 3, the black rubber ring surrounding the crankshaft and held in place by the bearing cap.

These other seals you have don't belong anywhere in the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disk area. I don't know if they are for the input shaft on the transmission, or somewhere else.

@Boaf 32

Your rear main seal is already in place, shown in picture 3, the black rubber ring surrounding the crankshaft and held in place by the bearing cap.

These other seals you have don't belong anywhere in the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disk area. I don't know if they are for the input shaft on the transmission, or somewhere else.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yet my oil leak out of the hole on the bottom of the transmission still needs attention. I will check the torque on the bearing cap. The oil must be coming from somewhere. Is it possible that it is transfer case / transmission fluid? I never even inspected that.

Boaf

Does the flywheel have any oil on it? If so, which side?

Does the bell housing have oil on the front side, facing the engine? If so, it could be one of the welch/freeze plugs on the rear of the engine block. There is one (50 mm) at the end of the camshaft bore, and one (25 mm) on the end of the oil gallery,

Does the flywheel have any oil on it? If so, which side?

Does the bell housing have oil on the front side, facing the engine? If so, it could be one of the welch/freeze plugs on the rear of the engine block. There is one (50 mm) at the end of the camshaft bore, and one (25 mm) on the end of the oil gallery,

I will check. The motor was just bored 10 over.

I stopped the truck about a month ago, and have not restarted it. Began taking the transmission out, I saw most of the oil in the bottom of the flywheel cover. I will check the freeze plugs and the transmission for leaks. I noticed some leaks in the rear of the trans, so I think we may be on to something. Never even suspected it, but will check on them both. Thanks for helping an let you know tomorrow if anything conclusive.

Boaf

Hopefully you meant to say "the rear of the engine" instead of "the rear of the trans".

Here is a picture of the welch/freeze plugs I mentioned:
The camshaft one is at 2:00, and the oil gallery is at 10:00

Last edited:
The black seal in your first pic looks like the timing cover seal. The white seal you mention is the exhaust donut gasket for the stock manifold. HTH.

The black seal in your first pic looks like the timing cover seal. The white seal you mention is the exhaust donut gasket for the stock manifold. HTH.

Thanks for the pic, I will check today if the Welch is leaking. I don't believe so but will check. I actually did mean that the trans has some fluid coming out of it, through what I believe is the fill hole. That just leads me to believe that other parts of the trans were neglected from the previous owner. He took some shortcuts (ALOT). Back to you shortly.

65swb45, 73FJ40,

Attached are pictures from the trans. 73FJ40, the rubber seal fits perfectly on the shaft (I pulled it forward just for the photo). I could see where fluid was present at the base of the shaft. The 2nd picture shows the accumulation on the bottom of the trans.

Felt around the Welch plugs and it is dry as a bone, no oil leaking from there.

So will put that seal in, button everything back up after one last review of the Factory Spec Manual and hopefully be driving shortly. I appreciate your help, thanks!

Boaf

Trans Seal.jpg

Trans Leak.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, that white gasket just looked so out of place. The timing cover seal is more ridged. This one is a soft rubber. See later in the thread, where I believe it goes (Transmission).

Boaf

Form follows function. How would a seal on the OUTSIDE of the transmission stop oil from getting out of the inside of the trans?

Form follows function. How would a seal on the OUTSIDE of the transmission stop oil from getting out of the inside of the trans?
Again why I will look at the FSM. I believe when I took the transmission out over a jear ago there was a seal on the outside. That's why I said the Previous Owner took a lot of shortcuts. I hear you!

Boaf

If you are going to stop a potential leak put the bottom bolts in the transmission nose cone

I saw that as well, damn this guy (PO) really had thrown this together shi**ly. He added PS and fabricated a Pitman Arm, moved the shock towers and welded horribly, and now just this crap. I have bolts and will get them in. Thanks

Checking on that rubber gasket as well. Thanks tornaddoalleycruiser.

Boaf

Not entirely sure you are getting what Mark is throwing down. Just because that found extra deal fits on the transmission nose does not mean it goes there. It doesn't go there. It may fit elsewhere perhaps the harmonic balancer seal. Perhaps under the nose cone of transmission input shaft seal but it does not go on the shaft of the transmission, the throw out bearing needs that space to rest when not engaged or you will have the throw out bearing riding on the clutch fingers causing excess wear. If you only have a motor gasket set then that rubber seal most likely goes on the front of the engine under the harmonic balancer.

Extra seal not deal. Phone sucks.

There is a seal that goes inside the 'nose cone' of the transmission. You don't have it yet. And you should definitely replace it.
I was just telling a new customer on Thursday how i ruined a new clutch in my first Landcruiser 30 years ago by swapping in a used transmission without changing that seal. Lesson learned.

Bolts replaced. Harmonic Balance gasket in place. Will let everyone know in a few days. Have some traveling but will get back in touch, thanks for all your help. This forum is great!

Boaf

Anyone have a magical wand they can wave for a one man operation to get my transmission back in place. The MF spines are just not matching up. I rotated the flywheel, greased the splines, it just says NOOOOO! I had done this before and it was a royal pain, took an 1 1/2 hours to get it last time. Going on 2 and said F it for the night. Thoughts, angles?

Boaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom