(Rear) lower shock mount mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't believe that most of you would have a need for this mod but for those of you who do it's an easy option. So how I got here, I went with the torflex rear coils from tough dog. They netted me approximately 4 inches of lift, just guessing here. And my truck is light in the rear which probably led to this issue. So the shocks that I ordered with the coils are a adjustable Tough Dog Shock which extended is 25 1/2 inches long.
My Mount to mount measurement with the coils installed is 23 in so that would have only left me with two and a half inch of extended travel. I never heard back from Trail tailor on if he had a different option or not.. so I decided to make due vs. Getting a longer shock or having to sell these..
So luckily for me Toyota had two shock mount options in the factory mount. All I had to do was enlarge the holes to accept a 3/4 in Bolt. I simply enlarge the holes put the grade 8 bolt in in welded them in place. Then I took a half inch nut and welded it to the front of the mount to space the shock away from the factory Mount and to mimic how the original Mount is.

20201118_131519.jpg

20201118_131529.jpg

20201118_134250.jpg

20201114_144956.jpg

20201114_145004.jpg

these TD shocks are 8" stroke.. if you have 10" travel or even 12" you would have to figure your up to down travel to establish if this would be an option... and possible even cut off the original section lower mount to gain some ground clearance..
just for reference my extended travel is approx. 4.75" and 3.25" up travel..

So even when cycling without the coils in, you hit bump stops before the shock bottoms out?
Also nice write up and solution

The reality is I probably need 10 inch travel shocks but I want to get the thing back on the road ASAP

This is the issue. You can see how high the rear of this thing is.. that's a 33.3 inch tire

16062572558243917671881407008110.jpg

Any updates on this project, Silver?

This thread needs more attention. Maybe more so from the LX guys because it would be awesome to be able to increase rear suspension travel with stock AHC shocks as we don't have lots of choices.

Being that this effectively changes the extension stroke by 2.25", I wonder if the compression travel can mostly be maintained? Or how much the bumps stops really need to be lowered? Would be awesome to increase droop travel and maximize suspension travel over the 10" stock that we have.

I really like this mod...the possibilities.

Thinking out loud, while it looks plenty stout, there may be an opportunity to make the new mount in double shear configuration. An outside bracket linking the stock mount to the new upper mount maybe a great way to reinforce but also protect the lower shock mount.

I think Coil will be limiter on the LX - it would unseat

I think Coil will be limiter on the LX - it would unseat

I've had mine at full droop, and beyond with the shocks removed, and the light coils have enough free length to stay in place.

That said, with this mod for the LX, I'd recommend a pretty tall spring spacer, prob 30mm or 40mm to maintain neutral pressures.

By tourflex coils is that the Trail Tailor progressive coil? I'm surprised at the amount of rear lift with the TD shocks. I have TD 45mm adjustables with standard duty springs and got 2" with their springs. Not much weight in the rear over stock during normal daily use.

Just seeing this thread..... @silverhorse . put my imagination to a reality. I have this same vision for my LX. I've done the front already via the camburg tundra race kit... it relocated the lower shock mount up one inch....which is equivalent at 2 inches at the tire. I gained 2 inches of droop. Now I'll add a 1 inch strut spacer to achieve another 2 inches of droop.... my plan is to do the same in tje rear to get the AHC pressures to match. Ues im sacrificing squat... but of the truck is lifted... we want to trade squat for droop... thats the name of the game. I was dead set on retaining my AHC... and I did ....its fully functional... now to do the rear

Thread 'Long travel LX570' Long travel LX570 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/long-travel-lx570.1253112/

20210323_183313.jpg

20210323_183546.jpg

20210323_183333.jpg

20210523_195703.jpg

20210523_182548.jpg

20210523_182950.jpg

20210515_190622.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom