Rear hatch lock install problem ('72) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an OEM rear hatch lock from CCOT for my '72. I can't figure out how it's supposed to work. The key can only be inserted/pull out when it's unlocked and the key is vertical. When I twist it 90 degrees CCW and the little arm moves into place in the handle to lock it, which seems to be how it should work, the key won't come out. The key is horizontal at that point. If I then twist it back 90 degrees CW to vertical, the arm twists back and it unlocks. So I can't lock it snd take the key out. The cylinder also spins almost 360 degrees CW with the key in, until the little arm eventually hits the opposite side of the handle. (I never had the key for the original lock and my locksmith said it's too far gone to re-key, so I bought this new one.) What am I missing? TIA

IMG_2467.jpg

It’s been a long time since I used mine.

From vertical turn 90 clockwise and back to unlock. To lock turn it counterclockwise and back to vertical. Sometimes you’ll need to gently pull the handle to keep it in the locked position. There should be a slot in the cap that allows the bar to move 90 without the lock moving. If the bar isn’t installed correctly you’ll have to remove the bar and reposition the bar.

Yep, Bikersmurf has the right technique: turn the key clockwise to lock it, Gently pull the handle out to put pressure on the locking bar to keep it in the locked position while you turn the key back counterclockwise to the 12 o’clock position to extract the key. This isn’t unique to the replacement cylinder (I had to replace mine) I had to use the same technique with my original cylinder.

Yep, Bikersmurf has the right technique: turn the key clockwise to lock it, Gently pull the handle out to put pressure on the locking bar to keep it in the locked position while you turn the key back counterclockwise to the 12 o’clock position to extract the key. This isn’t unique to the replacement cylinder (I had to replace mine) I had to use the same technique with my original cylinder.
Pulling the handle out a little while turning the key back to vertical did the trick. Definitely primitive. But, mine locks turning counter-clockwise, and unlocks clockwise. The groove that the little arm fits into in the handle to lock it is on top of the handle, so the only way it can lock is to turn is counter-clockwise from TDC. Anyway, it works. Thanks to both of you for the input.

Pulling the handle out a little while turning the key back to vertical did the trick. Definitely primitive. But, mine locks turning counter-clockwise, and unlocks clockwise. The groove that the little arm fits into in the handle to lock it is on top of the handle, so the only way it can lock is to turn is counter-clockwise from TDC. Anyway, it works. Thanks to both of you for the input.
No worries.

My handle broke several years back so I've not locked or unlocked it in many years, so some of the exact details were a bit rusty. Keeping a bit of tension on the front also helps to ensure the front locks stay locked properly... in case the spring loaded bearing isn't quite enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom