rear bumper suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did not see any prices on there web site . How much is the kit?

I dont see how you can use a high lift with this bumber as all of it is angled under.

With a single swing out for the tire, powdercoat it runs around $1600

email him for more info..

rear bumper time already huh? cool :D

dont overlook IPOR yet. I liked lukes bumper best by far but just not enough to drop my front and rear bumper budget on it. ERG80 just had an IPOR bumper installed w/ a luke ladder kit as well. Talk to cam and tell him what your looking for, they have been very accomodating to special requests.

but by all means if you got the funds and thats what you want get on it, id love to see one in person.

Cut it, tube it, weld it, wheel it for $450.

A 35" tire plus open 3rd window = ladder.

Spare on the roof so you can actually see out the back.

Still looks good at the mall :flipoff2:
Rear Bumper Far View.jpg
Rear Bumper Side.jpg
Rear Bumper Wing Angle.jpg

Im with Nay on this one I like the look of lightweight tube bumpers and with well placed gussets and tubes you can make them just as strong

I really wanted the Labs bumper but didn't want to cut off the rear crossmember...no particular reason, just didn't want to.

I narrowed down my choices to Slee and IPOR. I went IPOR b/c they were local and price.

I still like really the Slee bumper (side supports and tire doesn't hang out so far) and have thought about switching.

PM if you are considering the IPOR as I might be willing to part with mine.

I really wanted the Labs bumper but didn't want to cut off the rear crossmember...no particular reason, just didn't want to.

For those in the same position- cutting the rear crossmember is simple as pie. There are good pics and instructions on Luke's site and I followed those. I used a cordless recipricating saw and the job was done in about 8 minutes. It took me about 15 minutes to cut the welds off. I used my recip saw to cut the welds as well, and that metal was a lot harder to cut. I am by no means an expert metal fabricator. If I can do it ANYONE can do it.

For those in the same position- cutting the rear crossmember is simple as pie. There are good pics and instructions on Luke's site and I followed those. I used a cordless recipricating saw and the job was done in about 8 minutes. It took me about 15 minutes to cut the welds off. I used my recip saw to cut the welds as well, and that metal was a lot harder to cut. I am by no means an expert metal fabricator. If I can do it ANYONE can do it.

And there are few more enjoyable things in the 4x4 build process than taking a cutting wheel to a $50K SUV. :D

When it comes to 80 series, trimming up the front and rear approach/departure angles is the equivalent of adding a ton of lift. This is a :banana: job anybody can do.

The other option is to go custom. That way you can get whatever features you want. I used a design created by WildYoats and it has been perfect for me. If you have the time it could be worth the effort in the end to design your own.

_MG_1216.jpg

_MG_1249.jpg

_MG_1225.jpg

i like my IPOR rear bumper. If i had to do it over again, i would either get the slee or luke's 4x4 labs bumper.

You said bolt on, so that would put my vote for the slee.

The bumper I have in mind is a lot like Nay's, but with taillight and 1/4 panel protection and a hitch...

I may flip a Drawtite and weld it between the frame rails recessed behind the tube, and then tie the tube bumper into the hitch for mongo triangulation - that setup would be incredibly strong and the hitch would cost you nothing in clearance while adding some underside protection. Recessing would also help mitigate hitch weight impact if you actually tow by reducing the leverage arm in relation to the suspension. It's a little bit of extra weight, but pretty nominal given the pigs we drive.

Until then, this Nissan tow hook is beefy as hell and is completely recessed - if you aren't towing this is a much easier and in the end probably stronger solution. I drilled one of those holes all the way through the frame and used a grade 8 bolt to add shear strength to the welding.
Tow Hook.jpg
Tow Hook Bumper View.jpg

I should add that my quarter panel trimming work and reinforcement is strong enough to hi-jack the body off the bumper - a friend of mine has made a hi-lift tube attachment (as seen in the pic) so it can't slip off.

Not that I get stuck doing stupid sh$t or anything :D
DSC02188.jpg

What are guys with the 4x4 labs bumper doing for a license plate mount and light if you go without the ladder??

What are guys with the 4x4 labs bumper doing for a license plate mount and light if you go without the ladder??

See my pics. I offset the plate and use one bolt and it holds fine. Still under half of the OE license plate light. No hassles so far.

Thanks Doc...is that Luke's bike mount?? if so you like it??

No, I had that bike mount custom built by a local welder for $110. I love it. I 'designed' it and told the welder what I wanted. There are 4 side rungs off the center 'stem' that are sized for Yakima hardware. So, I can use any kind of yakima equipment for bikes, boards, etc...

Eric,

If you get a chance when it is not snowing or freezing cold to snap a couple of pics that would be great...thanks

I may flip a Drawtite and weld it between the frame rails recessed behind the tube, and then tie the tube bumper into the hitch for mongo triangulation - that setup would be incredibly strong and the hitch would cost you nothing in clearance while adding some underside protection. Recessing would also help mitigate hitch weight impact if you actually tow by reducing the leverage arm in relation to the suspension. It's a little bit of extra weight, but pretty nominal given the pigs we drive.

Until then, this Nissan tow hook is beefy as hell and is completely recessed - if you aren't towing this is a much easier and in the end probably stronger solution. I drilled one of those holes all the way through the frame and used a grade 8 bolt to add shear strength to the welding.

That's basically what I was planning for a hitch. My plan is to (eventually) build my own version of an Adventure Trailer to pull behind my 80. :cheers:

Eric,

If you get a chance when it is not snowing or freezing cold to snap a couple of pics that would be great...thanks

Here's 3.
DSC01603.jpg
DSC01604.jpg
DSC01606.jpg

One more:
DSC01608.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom