Rear axle service - FF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet said:
Will it ever end?

Don't know why in the heck you've pulled the axle shaft to change brakes. Most of this maintenance stuff is easily doable, but you've got to have your act together or you will most likely run into problems and get frustrated. My experience with wrenching is that it goes much smoother if you have the FSM, run a background check on the proceedure FIRST by doing a search of the archieves and see what pops up, have the right tools, and allocate plenty of time for the job. I suspect you are short on one or more of the items above, and hence the frustration.

Good Luck.
Rookie2

Unless I've misunderstood, if it goes back together, it will work. IIRC I did the same thing, no issues.

-Spike

Yes, if it's back together all is well.

Doug

Rookie2 said:
Don't know why in the heck you've pulled the axle shaft to change brakes. Most of this maintenance stuff is easily doable, but you've got to have your act together or you will most likely run into problems and get frustrated. My experience with wrenching is that it goes much smoother if you have the FSM, run a background check on the proceedure FIRST by doing a search of the archieves and see what pops up, have the right tools, and allocate plenty of time for the job. I suspect you are short on one or more of the items above, and hence the frustration.

Good Luck.
Rookie2

Well, brakes led to bearing replacement, etc, etc... Once you have it up on jackstands and you are tearing into things, you say "may as well get this done..".
I do have the FSM, all $120 worth, however, it says nothing about lockers or no lockers when it tells you how to pull the axle and repack the bearings. Unless I missed it. You can tell by the greasy fingerprints all over my FSM that it is referenced quite often.
I am finding out that it is not quite the holy grail that everyone makes it out to be. There are things that are missing and incomplete information. Sorry Toyota, but I am sure some of you agree.
It is fantastic for torque specs. :D

As for doing searches, I spend hours on this website at night and during the day, looking, researching ALL THE TIME. It is a great source of informaton but some off-shoot threads about related things are often missed and then I stumble on them later. Part of the deal, I know, but it is frustrating when you get everything bolted back together and realize you may have missed one little stupid item that could ruin your day.

Thank you all for the input, it helps.

Last edited:
Nice work getting it to go. Based on past threads I've read, getting the shaft back in place with the dog gear (or whatever it's called) dropped can be a bear.

FWIW, there is reference to this in the rear axle rebuild FAQ, but I agree it should have been in the FSM.

:beer:
Rookie2

This has recently become relevant to me too. My son now drives the 80, and is away at school, and took the car to a dealer, who noted "leakage" on the rear disc and decided the seal needed to be changed.

I called the dealer to make certain they knew about locking the lockers, and the service writer assured me they did, but I didn't have confidence.

Son picked up the cruiser today and drove it away.

Am I understanding it correctly that if he was able to drive it, it means that they did it correctly and didn't screw up the lockers? I hate not being there to make a judgement of my own.

TLCgrappler said:
Am I understanding it correctly that if he was able to drive it, it means that they did it correctly and didn't screw up the lockers? I hate not being there to make a judgement of my own.

Yes.

Ken, this is a very good thread but the pictures are missing. Is there anyway that you can add those pictures back? Thanks.

This is a good info for those who wants to retrofit or do their PM on rear axle. It is an old thread but pack with good info.

Ken, this is a very good thread but the pictures are missing. Is there anyway that you can add those pictures back? Thanks.

This is a good info for those who wants to retrofit or do their PM on rear axle. It is an old thread but pack with good info.

Ditto. It would be great to get the pics back. I'm assuming that after awhile they are removed to save some bandwidth but ... Thanks. :cheers:

Ditto. It would be great to get the pics back. I'm assuming that after awhile they are removed to save some bandwidth but ... Thanks. :cheers:

The thread starters generally have the ability to pull the pics out of their threads.

I'd drop a line to nakman and see if he can repost the pics.

-o-

So changing brakes today noticed the left (drivers side) rear axle seal blown. There is crap oil/ grease everywhere. Needless to say I couldn't finish the job... Off for more parts tomorrow. I have lockers, but currently cdl doesn't work( haven't looked at it yet) so lockers don't engage. If I understand correctly only if pulling the passenger side (right side) do I need to lock the rear locker. Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks!

Reviving this ancient thread. I had my front/rear e-locked diffs pulled out and sent for re-gearing. Did not lock the diffs when they were pulled out. Now I have my rebuilt diffs back and ready to go back in. Am I in trouble now? Or, what sacrifices need to be made to T-gods to get my rig back together? :D

Reviving this ancient thread. I had my front/rear e-locked diffs pulled out and sent for re-gearing. Did not lock the diffs when they were pulled out. Now I have my rebuilt diffs back and ready to go back in. Am I in trouble now? Or, what sacrifices need to be made to T-gods to get my rig back together? :D
The issue with the rear factory locker is if you pull the axles out while it's unlocked, it's possible that the locking slide collar can fall out of position. This shouldn't be an issue if the 3rd member is already out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom