Reality check on labor costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Threads
62
Messages
336
Location
Charlotte
Hello all,

I typically handle the work on my own rig, but I'm pressed for time lately so I've reached out to a Toyota specialist I trust to do the following labor:

LABOR ONLY PRICING
- Axle Bearing and Seal (Rear Driver and Passenger). - $925
- Timing Belt Project with Coolant (Toyota Super Long Life we will supply) - $1065 (we will drain the radiator, hoses, and engine block)
- Crankshaft Seal - $50
- Cam-Shaft Seals - $150
- Passenger cv-axle assembly and axle seal - $375

I am supplying all the parts (all OEM Toyota Parts). I think the pricing seems to be fair, but it's been a LONG time since I've paid a shop to do work so I wanted to double check with you guys.

The only critical issue right now is the rear axle as the passenger side is leaking and has fouled my ABS sensor. I need to get that addressed ASAP, the Timing belt is close to due, but I could possibly push that off for a bit.

Thanks in advance everyone!
 
Those prices are about 1/3rd of the labor cost that my local Toyota dealer would charge
 
unless cam seals are leaking, don't touch them
when was the last time both hubs were serviced?
 
unless cam seals are leaking, don't touch them
when was the last time both hubs were serviced?

I don't think the seals are leaking, it was more of a preventative thing. My understanding is that since it's not the variable valve version the seal is relatively easy to replace.

I do not know when the hubs were last serviced but the truck has 170k now and I do have an active leak on the passenger side.
 
Probably cheaper than a Toyota dealership. If you can afford it now, might as well take care of them all. I believe you'd need a special tool for the bearings, right? So can't do that at home anyway. Or will he be working at your place, since you're draining radiator? Make sure rear diff breather is functioning properly too.
 
Probably cheaper than a Toyota dealership. If you can afford it now, might as well take care of them all. I believe you'd need a special tool for the bearings, right? So can't do that at home anyway. Or will he be working at your place, since you're draining radiator? Make sure rear diff breather is functioning properly too.
Yes, you need the special press tool, it's about $200. I have access to a press, and would buy the tool, but it likely just doesn't make sense other than the sense of satisfaction... Now the timing belt job, that's something I'm actually interested in doing myself just to learn... I just don't know if I have the time.

Regarding rear diff, I have purchased all new hardware, including a new breather tube.
 
Those are lump sum labor costs, so it’s hard to evaluate them. Could vary by the condition of the vehicle and what other work is being done. Can you break it down by hours?

In my area (Seattle), I’d expect an experienced tech in a shop with overhead to charge $150-175/hr. Dealership will be closer to $200, and you may get lucky and find good one-person shop at $100-120.
 
I don't think the seals are leaking, it was more of a preventative thing. My understanding is that since it's not the variable valve version the seal is relatively easy to replace.

not leaking, I wouldn't touch them. @2001LC has shown issues/damage with the removal, caused by the person removing the seal, causing damage to the bore then new seal leaks
crank also
 
Those are lump sum labor costs, so it’s hard to evaluate them. Could vary by the condition of the vehicle and what other work is being done. Can you break it down by hours?

In my area (Seattle), I’d expect an experienced tech in a shop with overhead to charge $150-175/hr. Dealership will be closer to $200, and you may get lucky and find good one-person shop at $100-120.

I'm not sure I'm following the question. They didn't provide an hour count per project, just the cost.

Regarding what's involved, the rest bearings include removal and replacement of the inner and outer seals, replace the bearing, replace parking shoes if needed (I have the parts), and change diff fluid. That cost is for both driver and passenger sides.

For the timing belt service it's the labor for all parts I'm providing including water pump, coolant drain/fill (they are providing the pink Toyota long life coolant).
 
just a quick check, using google hours since I an not at the shop to check the Chiltons/Nichols flat rate manual...

Rear axle bearing and seal on a 100 series... for a professional, in a properly equipped shop... 1.0-1.15 hours tear down, .75-1.0 hours on the press, 1.0-1.5 hours reassembly

In a job like this there is no duplication left to right, so simply double all of that for both. I guess technically there is a *little* bit since you do not take it off the hoist and then put it back... so double it all ad drop about 2/10s of an hour.


Total labor time (by google's figgerin') Lets call it 7.0

Labor varies regionally. I charge $150 per hour. Could easily charge more, but I am happy and customers are too. :) I think the local dealer is $175.

So, for the rear axle labor, I'd get $1050.

I don't charge for "shop supplies" and that kind of crap and I don't mark the parts up. Other places might do both.

Without putting more effort into nailing down labor time, none of that looks at first blush to be out of line.


You could ask the shop what their labor rate is and compare it to others in your area.

For reputable professional shops. "Flat Rate" is the only way to go. Any variance will be due to different hourly rates and parts mark up or the old "shop supplies" schtick.

If you "trust" your guy.... why are you turning to the net with this question?


Mark...
 
I'm not sure I'm following the question. They didn't provide an hour count per project, just the cost.
In Seattle these would be fair-to-slightly high prices for a local (rust-free, maintained) rig. Timing belt R&R is 4.5h per the FSM, and I'd add .5h for the water pump once everything is open.

1790896000381.webp


So 5 hours for $1065 is a little over $200/hr - basically a dealership rate
 
just a quick check, using google hours since I an not at the shop to check the Chiltons/Nichols flat rate manual...

Rear axle bearing and seal on a 100 series... for a professional, in a properly equipped shop... 1.0-1.15 hours tear down, .75-1.0 hours on the press, 1.0-1.5 hours reassembly

In a job like this there is no duplication left to right, so simply double all of that for both. I guess technically there is a *little* bit since you do not take it off the hoist and then put it back... so double it all ad drop about 2/10s of an hour.


Total labor time (by google's figgerin') Lets call it 7.0

Labor varies regionally. I charge $150 per hour. Could easily charge more, but I am happy and customers are too. :) I think the local dealer is $175.

So, for the rear axle labor, I'd get $1050.

I don't charge for "shop supplies" and that kind of crap and I don't mark the parts up. Other places might do both.

Without putting more effort into nailing down labor time, none of that looks at first blush to be out of line.


You could ask the shop what their labor rate is and compare it to others in your area.

For reputable professional shops. "Flat Rate" is the only way to go. Any variance will be due to different hourly rates and parts mark up or the old "shop supplies" schtick.

If you "trust" your guy.... why are you turning to the net with this question?


Mark...
Thank you for the detailed response Mark. I trust their work, I just didn't know what current pricing should be. I typically do my own work so I was just confirming the going rate. If it was way out of line I'd keep looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom