Ram Mount Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed my Ram Mount a while back and decided to use it as an opportunity to experiment with making a how-to video. The video isn't perfect but it was fun to make and might give y'all some ideas for mounting accessories so I thought I'd share.

Super simple really, I just cut a short length of aluminum stock and drilled holes to match the diamond mount base for the ram mount. The aluminum became the backing plate, and the diamond base bolted up nice to the plastic trim to the right of the console. I've been running this setup for the last few months and there's nothing about it I'd change.

Cheers,
Alex

Nice job! I used washers but same idea.
I like the snappy jazz music. Good video man. I will say I have mounted my surface tablet (heavy) and an iPad (preferred). With a bigger than iPhone unit the top of the plastic trim starts to pull away a bit, not bend or break just pulls out of alignment with the other dash parts. It's a tough call because mounting up high allows access to the dash buttons and keeps your accessories out of the gear shifters way.
Again nice job!

IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
This is how I did my RAM mount. Slightly blocks the Li/hi selector, but it's worth it. It bolts to the seat mount, trimmed the aluminum rod to shorten it to this height.

Milky- Looks great! Can you post a pic of where it mounts to the seat? Thx

I have mine mounted with the suction cup/articulating arm coming from behind the rear view mirror. Non-obstructive view and doesn't require me to look down.

I have mine mounted with the suction cup/articulating arm coming from behind the rear view mirror. Non-obstructive view and doesn't require me to look down.

I like my phone on the dash for that reason too. I can glance at it without ever losing peripheral vision on the road...

Milky- Looks great! Can you post a pic of where it mounts to the seat? Thx

The weird looking bend is needed because my wife is short and moves the seat almost all the way forward. This mount is about 6 years old and in its third vehicle. Have used it for everything from a laptop, tablet, and a phone.

Link to mount: Amazon.com: RAM POD I Universal No-Drill(TM) Vehicle Laptop Mount with 18"" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Single Socket Arm: Cell Phones & Accessories

Phone Holder: Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

IMG_0200.JPG

The weird looking bend is needed because my wife is short and moves the seat almost all the way forward. This mount is about 6 years old and in its third vehicle. Have used it for everything from a laptop, tablet, and a phone.

Link to mount: Amazon.com: RAM POD I Universal No-Drill(TM) Vehicle Laptop Mount with 18"" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Single Socket Arm: Cell Phones & Accessories

Phone Holder: Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

View attachment 1382863

Hey milkyxj, I'm thinking of buying one of these for my cruiser and would like to know how much movement does the mount experience when on/off road. I have an iPhone 7 plus and am thinking this route may be the best for my needs, but want to know if this is sturdy enough. Thanks in advance!

Hey milkyxj, I'm thinking of buying one of these for my cruiser and would like to know how much movement does the mount experience when on/off road. I have an iPhone 7 plus and am thinking this route may be the best for my needs, but want to know if this is sturdy enough. Thanks in advance!

I like to follow that lead. After you install it I like to check it out.

I have a similar setup but on the passenger side. I used a product called Sugru to adhere the bar to the center. Cool stuff that really tightens up the mount. It still shakes a bit off road with a full size iPad, but perfectly fine for how I use it. Check it out. a bit pricy but works really well.

Thanks for the information steenh and TonyP. I'll most likely be placing an order for this mount now that I know it should work out, especially with a smaller device (iphone 7 plus). Steenh, that Sugru stuff looks really cool!

I like my phone on the dash for that reason too. I can glance at it without ever losing peripheral vision on the road...
Thanks @Markuson. Mind posting a pic please of how yours looks on the dash? I have an iOttie suction cup holder on the windshield and has worked out well but moves a little when bumpy, and it seems like the Ram mounts are the way to go. I agree with you, nice to have the peripheral vision particularly for navigating with it being mounted at dash level. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom