Raingler 200 cargo barrier net compatible with side curtain airbags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_4835.JPG
IMG_4836.JPG

2008 - Newer Toyota 200 Series Land Cruiser Lexus LX570 and Roraima Barrier Divider

I emailed Raingler. I will post what they say.

I wonder does the net break away at the top two attach points on each side, or what? The rings are steel. If the bag went off and the net did (or did not) move, what would happen to a passenger? Head and neck trauma?

I occasionally used one of their nets in my beloved, dead and gone, 80, behind the front seats, and it worked well but was annoyingly hard to see past, compared to my Milford steel unit. The net is darned easy to store and weighs nothing, that is good.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spikane WA

From Raingler: This is not to be used with passengers in the last row. Use offload at your own risk:

"All products produced or sold by Off Road Concepts LLC. are for off-road, show or recreational use specifically. This includes, camping, off-roading, carrying cargo, containing dogs; or anything that may be strapped down or contained in vehicle product is installed in. We make no guarantees regarding legality for street or highway uses.

The end user assumes any and all risks from installing or attempting to install, or using these products manufactured by or sold by Off Road Concepts LLC, Raingler or its affiliates. All specifications and prices are subject to change without notice.

Raingler Nets, Grips and Accessories are not designed as a safety restraint, occupant or pet containment device nor are guaranteed to supplement or remain compatible with all safety restraint systems used by automotive manufacturers. It is up to the operator and owner of vehicle follow the automotive manufacturers recommendations for passengers, animals and cargo transport in the vehicle.

Off-road or recreational driving carries a certain amount of risk even when our products are used in the manner designed."

FAQs

So, it would probably be OK off pavement when you have disabled the rollover protection switch, but when on the street it would be a serious safety hazard. I think an insurance company would be very happy to deny certain claims if they found out this was installed and it had stopped the side airbags from working as designed. That is not worth risking. I guess I will cross this off my shopping list.

FYI, it MIGHT be usable if you simply did not attach the straps that go to the seat belt hangers, but the net would not be tight and you would have an unsightly gap on the sides.

John Davies
Spokane WA

If you look at the Australian Toyota site they offer a barrier in that market. Probably built by Milford and rebadged. Warning, close examination of the options available in that market may result in extreme anger towards Toyota.

LandCruiser 200 | Off Road Vehicle | Toyota Australia

Floor to ceiling, gaps on sides for side curtains.

The usage disclosure provided by Raingler is what I expected.

I am fully aware of the Milford barriers. I used one for 13 years in my 80 - it came from Man-A-Fre when they were still importing them. I am not ready to invest in a steel unit. Especially since I do not have a 200 yet ;)

I can NOT fathom why somebody has not stepped forward and started manufacturing strong steel barriers for late model popular vehicles here in the USA. There is certainly a demand for them.

Shipping is very expensive, especially from Oz, but they could be made in smaller nesting sub-units and then bolted together during installation, like an IKEA Billy bookcase. There is no reason they have to be as over-the-top strong as the Milford ones, which have to meet Australian "flying toolbox" standards for impact resistance. Those barriers actually reinforce the roof to a degree and help to prevent crushing people in a rollover. Again, that is desirable but not at all mandatory in a unit manufactured here in the USA.

Maybe one of the Mud supporting vendors would consider stepping up to the plate and offering us some airbag-friendly barriers, made in Colorado? ;)

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
If you look at the Australian Toyota site they offer a barrier in that market. Probably built by Milford and rebadged. Warning, close examination of the options available in that market may result in extreme anger towards Toyota.

LandCruiser 200 | Off Road Vehicle | Toyota Australia

Floor to ceiling, gaps on sides for side curtains.

The usage disclosure provided by Raingler is what I expected.
I want a "simulated kangaroo test"-ed bull bar!

Figured it out!

In the back I used an old Raingler universal 1 inch webbing net, 20" x 37" which seems to be unavailable, a 26" x 36" is $99. ..... 1" width webbing nets by size

You also need two 1" x 18" straps, $2.99 each for at the top. .... Tie Down Strap

Here is the rear net, set up behind the second row. There is plenty of room for the side curtain airbags to deploy. I used a scrap of camp pad to protect the seats, I might look for a complete one for full coverage, and maybe not one in bright blue! It is held firmly in place by the net. The seats are all the way forward and fully upright, but you can loosen the upper straps and recline or shift the seats if you need human passengers.

The bottom straps loop around theback of the seat mounts.

Next, the center net.

John Davies
Spokane WA

IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2687.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG

The center net is a Series 80 net that I had left over after my LX450 got totalled. It is a little narrower than the 200 net pictured at the top of this thread, but it fits fine. It's $218: .... 1980 - 1997 Toyota 60 & 80 Series Land Cruiser front barrier net behind front seat

Again, you will need two extra 1" x 18" straps to secure the bottom.

The top strap on the net goes to the overhead grab handle.

The second strap down goes to the fixed side grab handle low down. It will interefere with the SC airbags, but I am willing to accept that small risk in order to restrain my two dogs in the event of a head on collision....

The third strap is unused, loop the strap around an inner webbing opening and hook it back to the buckle.

The fourth strap is extended by the extra 18" long strap to go under the seat and back around the bottom seat belt anchor. This pulls the net tight back against the front of the center seat bottoms, and gives you complete and clear access to the floor for a purse, laptop, tool bag or guy stuff.

The dog hammock and door guards keep slobber off the interior, mostly. I still have to clean the glass every trip. I have two Australian Labradoodles, both about 38 pounds. A bonus is that the hammock also completely hides from outside view anything placed on the floor. It is easily removed and laundered.

More to come.

John Davies
Spokane WA

IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG

Last edited:
The view out the back is pretty cluttered, but with a rear view camera it does not bother me. Driver or front passenger can easily reach the rear HVAC controls or the power outlet, and the floor behind either seat. I keep my iPad and tool bag on the DS floor, along with a couple of sun shields for quick access when parking. The other floor is left clear for my wife to use, to stash her laptop and/ or purse.

On the driver side behind the seat headrest I attached a light carabiner to the webbing. I clip the top of my hiking hydropack to it, so it is kept up off the floor (it sits on top the tool bag) and is easy to reach.

A second carabiner is clipped to the netting in the center behind the center console, to hold a small litter bag up and off the floor.

I will test this stuff on my next long road trip and post any followup comments.

John Davies
Spokane WA

IMG_2711.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom