Radiator Fan (not fan clutch) question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NexusD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,

Before I start…. Yes I did a search…. My question, is anyone running an aftermarket Fan? Now I’m not talking fan clutch or electric fan, I’m talking about the fan/cooling fins.

I’ve come across (please see links below) some heavy duty aluminum and stainless steel flex fans and I was wondering how much better these fans are over the OEM stock plastic fan.

I wanted to reach out to the group to see if anyone is running this type of fan and what are the results? More air flow? Better cooling temps? Etc…

Standard Rotation

Standard Rotation Aluminum

Thank you

The OEM fans seem to be the most popular for a couple of reasons. They are a high quality unit that fits the diameter and depth of the shroud properly. They are basically free since they are already on the rig when you buy it. They seem to last forever.

The aftermarket fans you pictured will not fit onto the fan clutch, so you would need additional bolts and spacer to mount it.

Flex fans are designed to be used without a clutch, so you would ditch that. They moderate air flow and drag by flexing rather than limiting the RPM of the fan itself via the clutch. There is no way for them to pull less air as required by engine temp- they pull the same amount all the time, hot or cold. That makes them pretty inefficient as far as power consumption. The stock fan clutch will only spin up to a certain RPM and only engage at a predetermined temperature, which means it doesn't rob as much power from the engine while still providing adequate air flow. The air flow and temp range can be adjusted on most fan clutches if the stock settings aren't capable of dealing with your climate, see the eleventy billion threads in this forum for more info, in particular pay attention to comments by Tools-R-Us.

In short, the fan clutch is a very well thought out solution, but I'm sure you could get a flex fan to work if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom