Rack and Pinion Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zzp

Threads
I know I will need be replacing my steering gear in the future. I've come across a unit for sale that appears to be unused and brand new, however it came out of storage for years and the sellers have no proof of purchase. From the pictures there's no sign of it ever being installed, no dirt, no scratches, no oil.

My question is if anyone knows a way to test the unit without installing, or has other thoughts on purchasing such a critical part without 100% guarantee if it's new and working. It's such a good deal it's hard not to grab it up!

Thanks!

Zach

Is the part a Toyota brand? post some pics if any. No real way of testing unless you install it, it's always a gamble when buying old stored parts it's just a matter of how much you are willing to gamble and what is the current condition of your rack?

Ill add a second question to this, do stored parts actually go bad? For instance if someone had bought this steering rack and really just let it sit for a year or two would that be the worst thing? I imagine some seals or rubber parts might go bad from sitting but I don't know if that would happen so quickly.

Ill add a second question to this, do stored parts actually go bad? For instance if someone had bought this steering rack and really just let it sit for a year or two would that be the worst thing? I imagine some seals or rubber parts might go bad from sitting but I don't know if that would happen so quickly.
Externally, the part would have to be exposed to harmful conditions such as moisture, UV radiation (sunlight), or corrosives like salt (i.e. sea spray). In those cases the effects would likely be visible on the outside of the part, like cracked/dusty rubber or surface corrosion.

Internal fluids or lubricants may deteriorate or separate over time from lack of use. I'd start by looking up the shelf like of Power Steering fluid. And shake well before installing. :)

Is the part a Toyota brand? post some pics if any. No real way of testing unless you install it, it's always a gamble when buying old stored parts it's just a matter of how much you are willing to gamble and what is the current condition of your rack?
From visual appearance it is Toyota OEM with the correct part number stamped on it. Being sold by members of family who's dad passed and left a storage unit full of random parts they don't know much about.

Sorry I missed the answering the question about my current rack. It's leaking on both ends, not major, but I see a replacement sometime in my future! Going to try a fluid flush and the AT-205 route and see if there's any change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom