Questions for those that tow with their LC 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was towing a 5,000 lb trailer through some hills in Austin over the weekend with the O/D off. Climbing those hills it can only manage about 35 MPH @ 3,000 RPM. I can rev it to 4,000 RPM to pick up some speed but I didn't feel comfortable revving it that high for more than a few seconds. Two questions 1) Is it advisable to keep it at 4,000 RPM to drive faster uphill? and 2) On flat roads should I take put it back to O/D if I am towing 5,000 lbs?

1) The engine develops more HP with increasing RPM, so if you need to go faster up hill, run at 4000. It won't hurt the engine. You can run at wide open throttle if you want (but you'll need to stop at every gas station on the way up the hill to refill). 2) Your drivetrain will be happiest with O/D off when towing. The transmission will run cooler since the torque converter will stay locked up more. More info on gear selection when towing is in your owners manual.

I too have been pondering about this same subject.
I'm thinking of purchasing a Travel Trailer - is that what you are towing with your LC?

Specs are:
Axle ratio: 4.30:1
320 lb-ft @3,400 rpm
230hp @4,800
Transmission Temps: 122°-176° as normal running temp

320 lb-ft of torque is pretty good.

If running at over 4000 rpm was bad for your engine Toyota would have made the redline 4000 RPM. Once your engine is warm, put that right foot down as far as you need to keep the truck moving, you won't hurt anything.

Max HP develops at 4800 rpm. It's there to use.

I was towing a 5,000 lb trailer through some hills in Austin over the weekend with the O/D off. Climbing those hills it can only manage about 35 MPH @ 3,000 RPM. I can rev it to 4,000 RPM to pick up some speed but I didn't feel comfortable revving it that high for more than a few seconds. Two questions 1) Is it advisable to keep it at 4,000 RPM to drive faster uphill? and 2) On flat roads should I take put it back to O/D if I am towing 5,000 lbs?

Yeah, I can see going out 1431 to the lake as being challenging, or that long uphill climb on 2222 out to 620. But you won't be flooring it for any extended periods of time, go for it.

IF your vehicle has the 'PWR' setting, use it. Turn the OD off and use that skinny pedal!

I too have been pondering about this same subject.
I'm thinking of purchasing a Travel Trailer - is that what you are towing with your LC?

Specs are:
Axle ratio: 4.30:1
320 lb-ft @3,400 rpm
230hp @4,800
Transmission Temps: 122°-176° as normal running temp

320 lb-ft of torque is pretty good.

I was towing a LR Defender 90. But am also looking into getting a travel trailer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom