Questions about the FJ200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chris777

TLCA member #12444
Threads
Website
mannphoto.com
i am considering buying an fj200, 2013-2014. Been driving an fj60 for 32 years.

1. Does it have a full spare? Where is it?

2. I dont need the 3rd row seats. Easily removed? Does it give more space?

3. Do they all come with only the center differential lockers? Or can you find them with front and rear lockers?

4. Is A-track an option? Or did Crawl control replace it?

5. Which option sshould i be on the look for when buying an fj200?

i am considering buying an fj200, 2013-2014. Been driving an fj60 for 32 years.

1. Does it have a full spare? Where is it?

2. I dont need the 3rd row seats. Easily removed? Does it give more space?

3. Do they all come with only the center differential lockers? Or can you find them with front and rear lockers?

4. Is A-track an option? Or did Crawl control replace it?

5. Which option sshould i be on the look for when buying an fj200?

1. Yes, full size spare is under the vehicle just ahead of the rear bumper.

2. Yes, 3rd row seats are easily removed (requires the removal of bolts and plastic covers), but not so easy as they could be removed and replaced on a regular basis. Yes, more space with the seats removed.

3. Only center diff lock. Front and rear diff locks are not a factory option.

4. Active TRAC (Traction Control) is standard. Crawl Control is also standard.

5. When I bought my 2013, the only option was a fully optioned vehicle. Dealer and/or port added options like remote start, broken glass sensor, all-weather mats, etc. might be available as options, but all major vehicle components are already included.

Happy hunting!

HTH

Thank you!

So is the center locking differential almost as good as front and rear locking differentials? Are you less likely to break a birfield? Does it have any advantages?

Remember that since the 80, all US LC's are AWD, not FWD. And since the 100 they are IFS, so no solid axle and no birfeilds. Due to the AWD configuration the center differential allows some give between the front and rear axles, just like the differentials in the axles allows give between the inner and outer wheels. When the center diff is locked, this usually accompanies disabling the ABS for off-road use and gives you about a 50/50 power split between the front and rear axles.

Some would argue ATRAC and crawl control are not a replacement for F&R locking diffs, others with more knowledge here can comment.

I was glad to learn that the rear axle on the 200 is a solid axle.

Yeah, no rear independent suspension....yet!

FWIW, I came to the LC platform from a 2nd gen 4-Runner. While it was an upgrade in almost every way, the IFS on the 4-Runner was better on road than the solid axle on the 80. While solid axles are still very cool, the IFS makes for a more practical DD while still very capable off road.

My personal experience is narrow, but: we took our 200, bone-stock other than for BFG KO2s, up a fairly gnarly trail with the Toyota club last year that had us very smoothly rolling up, through, and over (and sometimes, down onto - needed more clearance and sliders!) obstacles that some open-diff current-generation 4runners had to be strapped through.

No idea what duty you're intending to put your 200 through @chris777 but even without F&R lockers, a solid front axle, etc - I think the general consensus is that it's impressive what these trucks will go through even as equipped with what they roll off of the assembly line.

Per your original post, a few more things:

I believe there's ~4 mini-generations of the 200 in terms of options - until 2013, LCs still had options. 2008 & 2009 trucks are I believe the same in terms of what options were available - 2010-2011 are also similarly equipped, there wasn't a 2012 model, and then 2013-2015 come fully equipped and had some upgrades like better headlights and cooled seats. 2016-2017 are the latest refresh and they have slightly different styling on the grille and maybe slightly tweaked sheet metal? Also different interior - I think you can only get black or brown now, no lighter tan like '08-15?

Ours is a '13 which I picked for the "all options" idea + better headlights + refreshed entertainment system which is of dubious value anyway since the in-car electronics on all these trucks until 2016+ is pretty hopelessly outdated even when they were new. Beyond that, they should all drive virtually the same. If you're looking at the early (08-11?) trucks I'm dimly aware of some issues with the water pump and cam tower seepage some other things that the high-mileage guys can probably speak better to than me.

Last edited:
Your tires and off-road driving skills are more valuable than locking differentials. Military vehicles don't have locking differentials, because they (the boys) don't like having extra stuff to break and fix. They don't get stuck, often, because they're taught how to drive (ask me how I know).

Having said that, I've personally taken my LX570, stock with street tires no less, into and out of places I was told by the Jeep driving public standing by I couldn't/shouldn't go near. Have no fear, the 200 is a very capable truck; just don't go off-road behind anything that's not a goat.

Your tires and off-road driving skills are more valuable than locking differentials. Military vehicles don't have locking differentials, because they (the boys) don't like having extra stuff to break and fix. They don't get stuck, often, because they're taught how to drive (ask me how I know).

Having said that, I've personally taken my LX570, stock with street tires no less, into and out of places I was told by the Jeep driving public standing by I couldn't/shouldn't go near. Have no fear, the 200 is a very capable truck; just don't go off-road behind anything that's not a goat.
Totally agree with you on how Soldiers are taught to move cross country with heavy vehicles and usually don't get stuck. Driving skill is the most important traction device that exists.

But all military vehicles have locking differentials. HMMWVs have Torsen manual locking center diff, with automatic locking front and rear diffs. LMTVs, FMTVs, MRAPs, and MATVs all have selectable diff lockers these days.

So yes the 200 with crawl control and multi terrain select is awesome, but I found it's limit on my first outing. Limiting a wheels forward momentum, while trying to climb up a steep, loose rocky hill is tough. It will make it up, but it requires a lot more work than locking a diff.

Plus with diff lockers, you can take better lines, that keep the vehicle flatter, even if that means tall ledges.

But how I feel about everything, if you are going out, exploring, having a great time, and haven't said to yourself, "I wish I could get up this," then lockers are a waste of money.

200 still is one of the most capably vehicles off-road I've ever driven, and I have a rock buggy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom