Question on wheels for my '97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SteamerF18

Steamer
SILVER Star
Threads
So I scored some OE wheels for my '97 and the plan is to either media blast or scuff/ sand so I can paint w/ one of the Duplicolor wheel paints. A generous Mudder sent me 6 wheels and a full compliment of lug nuts (washer style) so I'm well on my way to replacing my steel wagon wheels.

Opening the boxes today I have four wheels that use the acorn style lug nut and two that use the washer style. Drat. The four wheels that are acorn style are in better shape than the two washer style. I'd like to have 5 of the same type and I'm inclined to find a fifth like wheel (acorn) and associated lug nuts to get me on my way.

Question is, is my selected course of action sound? My understanding is the '95-97 used washer style lug nuts but don't believe there are issues running an earlier wheel as long as you use the correct lug nuts. I did search, I have read the FAQ , but I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I believe I'm on the right track, just looking for confirmation before I make another purchase and put some more $ into my new to me wheels. Besides, we need more wheel/ lug nut/ paint threads. Right?

Thanks, Scott

So I scored some OE wheels for my '97 and the plan is to either media blast or scuff/ sand so I can paint w/ one of the Duplicolor wheel paints. A generous Mudder sent me 6 wheels and a full compliment of lug nuts (washer style) so I'm well on my way to replacing my steel wagon wheels.

Opening the boxes today I have four wheels that use the acorn style lug nut and two that use the washer style. Drat. The four wheels that are acorn style are in better shape than the two washer style. I'd like to have 5 of the same type and I'm inclined to find a fifth like wheel (acorn) and associated lug nuts to get me on my way.

Question is, is my selected course of action sound? My understanding is the '95-97 used washer style lug nuts but don't believe there are issues running an earlier wheel as long as you use the correct lug nuts. I did search, I have read the FAQ , but I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I believe I'm on the right track, just looking for confirmation before I make another purchase and put some more $ into my new to me wheels. Besides, we need more wheel/ lug nut/ paint threads. Right?

Thanks, Scott

Are your wheels Toyota wheels or Lexus Wheels?

I just picked up a set of Lexus wheels for my LC and the new ones are shank style.

My existing wheels are Acorn style. Maybe we could work a trade just for the cost of freight from CA to KC.

What's your urgency? I need to blast and repaint my new wheels also. I want (5) of the same attachment of a wheel. My truck started with chrome wheels, but I have (2) that are NOT chrome and (3) very peeling chrome, all with acorns.

Clear?

LMK.

... My understanding is the '95-97 used washer style lug nuts but don't believe there are issues running an earlier wheel as long as you use the correct lug nuts. ...

Correct, lug nuts have to match the wheels, everything else is the same. The torque differs, use the correct one for the wheel/nut type.

Shamelessly stolen from @NLXTACY ;)
lug.jpg

^^ Thanks for this. I expected the torque value was consistent between alloy and steel wheels regardless of year. Good to know the early 80 series alloy wheels will still require the higher torque value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom