Question for other members with LRA tanks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RobW0

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a question for other members with LRA tanks. The question is, how much fuel does your tank take when you fill it up?

I have a 12.5gal tank and have filled it up 7 times and can only get 11.5gal in the tank. When I transfer the fuel to the main tank it takes about 20 mins and I let it go until it shuts its self off. I would like to know how much is everyone else getting?

I have a question for other members with LRA tanks. The question is, how much fuel does your tank take when you fill it up?

I have a 12.5gal tank and have filled it up 7 times and can only get 11.5gal in the tank. When I transfer the fuel to the main tank it takes about 20 mins and I let it go until it shuts its self off. I would like to know how much is everyone else getting?

When I had the 12.5 gal (have 24 gal now) my fill ups ranged from 10.5 - 13 gallons after the pump shut off. While the tanks are definitely baffled, you'll find that you can extract a bit more fuel by turning the pump on in certain driving conditions (if I recall, downhill left-hand turn optimizes the amount of fuel at the pickup.

The average fill up for me was probably 11.5 - 12 gallons but I also think the prototype tank had just a bit more volume than the production one.

I don’t have an LRA yet, but very interested in getting the 12.5. From what I’ve read online (I’ve been reading everything I can find!) there is a small well sump where the fuel transfer pump is located to keep the pump wet and primed and that’s the reason for not seeing a complete fill up.

When I had the 12.5 gal (have 24 gal now)

Other than the obvious reasons, why did you upgrade. Did the 12.5 not fit around larger spares, etc?

When I had the 12.5 gal (have 24 gal now) my fill ups ranged from 10.5 - 13 gallons after the pump shut off. While the tanks are definitely baffled, you'll find that you can extract a bit more fuel by turning the pump on in certain driving conditions (if I recall, downhill left-hand turn optimizes the amount of fuel at the pickup.

The average fill up for me was probably 11.5 - 12 gallons but I also think the prototype tank had just a bit more volume than the production one.
Thank you for the response. This is good to know. I now don't feel like I have a problem with my tank. I think this would be good information for people to know.

I don’t have an LRA yet, but very interested in getting the 12.5. From what I’ve read online (I’ve been reading everything I can find!) there is a small well sump where the fuel transfer pump is located to keep the pump wet and primed and that’s the reason for not seeing a complete fill up.
The pump for the LRA tank is not in the tank itself. The pump is outside of the tank and can run without fuel going thru it. That is how you can tell when the transfer is done. The pump is very quiet with fuel running thru it. Once there is no more fuel the pump gets loud.

Yup, these are my experiences as well. I suspect that the tank physically has a volume ~12.5 gallon, but it's subject to fill constraints of the fill port and potentially trapping of air at the very top that makes some of the last gallon of space inaccessible. They also modified the relief for the charcoal canister in the updated batches based on my findings. Perhaps some minor capacity lost there as well.

Thank you all for the data. This tells me that my tank is normal. One gallon does not make a big difference in range. Sill glad to have those extra 11.5 gallons.

One possibility... I’ve noticed on mine that if I empty the aux into my main... if the main is very full...sometimes after steep inclines, some fuel seems to “escape” back into the aux tank. This is evidenced by an empty reading after initial transfer later showing up as having a little more to transfer again. This also makes sense because I know that if you transfer without enough room in the main...it is designed to flow back into the six to avoid over-fill issues.

If that kind of back-flow happens with a full main, that could also explain why the six might not always take the full amount.

I can confirm, though, is that my 24 gallon tank regularly takes the full 24 and a bit more...when I fully empty it into the main. I’ve put as much as just a hair under 25 into it.

I have 40 gallon and refills are typically around 38 gallons or less depending on how much I transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom