Question about replacing antenna... (See picture) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Howdy, all!

I am wanting to replace my current antenna with a stock (or stock-looking) antenna. I bought my cruiser w/ this antenna, and don't really like the look of it.

A few questions...

How hard is it to replace the antenna? I have absolutely NO skills whatsoever when it comes to anything cars. So I would have my mechanic install it. If it's something that is hard to do/time-consuming, I'll probably just learn to live with it – as I don't want to pay tons of money to have this minor thing changed.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for a stock or stock-looking replacement antenna, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

unnamed-2.jpg

The tricky part of antenna replacement on the 80 is fishing the coax into the cabin. The antenna has the coax attached to it with the other end plugging into the head unit, so if you change antennas you have to pull the old coax out of the cabin WITH A FISHTAPE ATTACHED TO IT in order to pull the new coax into the cabin. If you fail to provide a means to get the new back in, you will be very sorry.

Why? The coax goes to along the inside top of the PS fender, then makes a right-angled turn through a small opening you can't see to enter the cabin. Without a means to fish the new coax in, removing the fender to do it becomes a possibility.

Other than that, no problem, it's easy to swap in the power antenna unit if that's what you want or anything else for that manner. Just don't forget the fish line. for getting the new coax in when you take the old coax out.

^^^^ Has anyone done this or done a writeup or video of it? I have the radio out and pass side fender off, but the cable snakes into nowhere and does not want to slide freely at all. I can't even see where it enters the cabin, The air box is in the way as well, tried to remove it, but no luck w/o removing what seems like everything.

Half tempted to just leave the broken mast inside the fender and bondo over the hole. It's been in the fender over the weekend and reception was fine.

Seems every little thing in this truck fights me all the way :mad:

^^^^ Has anyone done this or done a writeup or video of it? I have the radio out and pass side fender off, but the cable snakes into nowhere and does not want to slide freely at all. I can't even see where it enters the cabin, The air box is in the way as well, tried to remove it, but no luck w/o removing what seems like everything.

Half tempted to just leave the broken mast inside the fender and bondo over the hole. It's been in the fender over the weekend and reception was fine.

Seems every little thing in this truck fights me all the way :mad:

Most of the ones I have seen are zip tied to the top tube in the dash, and a real PITA to deal with I would just run a new one

^^^^ Has anyone done this or done a writeup or video of it? I have the radio out and pass side fender off, but the cable snakes into nowhere and does not want to slide freely at all. I can't even see where it enters the cabin, SNIP

I've only seen the location of the entry through the firewall looking back up toward the top of the inside of the PS fender all the way to the back. The cable turns 90 degree and enters the cabin through a hole in what is the side of the dash area, down behind the glovebox.

If you have the fender off, it should be obvious toward the upper left if you're facing the fender on the PS, although it won't be big, just large enough to put the coax connector through.

Reminder: Always attach a fish line to the end of the coax that plugs into the radio BEFORE you pull the coax out of the passenger compartment.

When I replaced mine I cut the old coax at the antennae and butt-taped the radio side of the new coax to it. Then I pulled the old one out towards the radio.

I did lube them both up really well and that helped tremendously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom