Question about CB Radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whenever I make long convoy trips with multiple vehicles, I usually hand out a Motorola Talkabout 2-way radios to each of the navigators just to keep everyone in check :)

Between family and shop units, I have about 10 always on charge :cool:

Anyhoo, I was just wondering if a standard 40 Channel CD Radio would be compatible with the 14 Channel 2-way radios :confused:

I'm guessing it should work as long as they're on the same channel, but I just wanna make sure before I order one :doh:

No. Completely different frequency bands.

Mark...

The Talkabouts operate in the FRS/GMRS bands at 462 MHz... CBs operate on 11 meters at 27 MHz.

Completely incompatible.

Cheers, R -

Really?

I asked a few people selling CB's on EBay and I got conflicting answers from all of them :confused:

Yep, really. Whoever said otherwise was either confused about what you were asking, ignorant about radios, or simply telling you what they thought would get you to bid on their auction.

Mark...

I always carry a couple on runs to ensure that the lead and drag have communication, but Like Mark said, they are incompatible with CB's.

Along these same lines, I take it the VHF marine radios are also on different frequencies - correct?

If so, its really too bad, the marine radios have 5 watts on the handheld units and 25 watts on the installed units.

If looking to buy something purely for trail use, is there any benefit to the max 5 watt installed CB over the 5 watt handheld FRS 2-way deals that are generally sold in pairs for really cheap with dual chargers and all the necessary stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom