Quarter panel/under door repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey i own a 2000 LC. The piece above the running boards is all bubbled rusted and wondering best option about fixing it. Should I take it to a body shop and spend all the money to get new piece welded on. Or should I strip the paint sand it down and spray a bed Liner paint or a rustproof paint?

2EA7A3A3-BC11-4E44-A676-C032FC785896.jpeg

I must be getting blind in my old age. I don’t see anything.

You can’t really see it. But can feel it and I wanna fix it before it gets any worse
You're in NY, it's only a matter of time. :( In all seriousness, you can take it down to bare metal, use a really good primer, and when you are done, roll bedliner over the rocker panel. It will help protect it from road chips, which is sort of how it all starts. A buddy of mine is a chevy guy, rocker panels don't last long on chevy trucks in OH. Anytime he gets a new to him truck he cleans up the rocker panels and applies bedliner for protection.

You need to cut out all the rust and either grind down or blast any pitted metal. Painting over any remaining rust will buy you a bit of time but won’t be a permanent solution. Make sure you spray Fluid Film or some other type of corrosion inhibitor on the inside of the rocker panel after the repair is done, you can easily get access from pulling the plastic door sill plates and using the factory holes to insert a spray gun wand into that body cavity.

Keep in mind, the sunroof drains into the rocker panel. If the drain for the rocker panel to let the water out gets plugged up it will start to rust out from the inside. Kabanstva's suggestion of fluid film on the inside of the rocker is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom