Q: When to complain to dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LBridges

SILVER Star
Threads
Only had our 2020 LC for 6 months, and mostly due to COVID only 2.5k miles on it.

Took it in for the 6-months free 2yr/24K miles Toyota Care thing with tire rotation, etc. Didn't bother to read their paperwork until I got home.

Everything checked off as being inspected, and tire/wheels rotated with a note that wheels were torqued down to 110 ft-lbs.

110 is a bit higher than the 97 ft-lbs specified. I broke out my torque wrench and found they were actually put on at an average of 124 ft-lbs. Fixed it myself, no big deal.

Then I noticed they checked the box on the paper work for the cabin filter being inspected.

Just before heading to the dealer I had cleaned out my glove compartment and put some essentials back in there.

Unless the tech is really good at putting things back into a glove compartment exactly like they were in there, the cabin filter was never inspected.

Note: in almost 10 years this is the first time I've caught them at this sort of thing. My question: would you complain, or just let it go?

I'd be glad that they didn't touch the cabin filter! Most guys around here lock the glovebox before going in for service.

Not sure what to say about the lugs, other than i'm not surprised...

Only had our 2020 LC for 6 months, and mostly due to COVID only 2.5k miles on it.

Took it in for the 6-months free 2yr/24K miles Toyota Care thing with tire rotation, etc. Didn't bother to read their paperwork until I got home.

Everything checked off as being inspected, and tire/wheels rotated with a note that wheels were torqued down to 110 ft-lbs.

110 is a bit higher than the 97 ft-lbs specified. I broke out my torque wrench and found they were actually put on at an average of 124 ft-lbs. Fixed it myself, no big deal.

Then I noticed they checked the box on the paper work for the cabin filter being inspected.

Just before heading to the dealer I had cleaned out my glove compartment and put some essentials back in there.

Unless the tech is really good at putting things back into a glove compartment exactly like they were in there, the cabin filter was never inspected.

Note: in almost 10 years this is the first time I've caught them at this sort of thing. My question: would you complain, or just let it go?

So...the wheels appear to have been overtorqued and you can't confirm if the cabin filter was inspected (which is better because they would have broken it)... What do you want the dealer to do to make it right? I don't get the "caught them in this sort of thing" since both seem like pretty benign issues. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here honestly - not much a dealer can do about either at this point.

So...the wheels appear to have been overtorqued and you can't confirm if the cabin filter was inspected (which is better because they would have broken it)... What do you want the dealer to do to make it right? I don't get the "caught them in this sort of thing" since both seem like pretty benign issues. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here honestly - not much a dealer can do about either at this point.

I will politely disagree. The bigger issue is the service manager lying about both items. Well over torqued and the "inspection" I'll concede the cabin air filter "inspection" is BS. On a 6 month old 2.5K vehicle there is no way that thing is dirty so they just checked a box. But if they are lying about that then what else, esp. out of warranty are they lying about?

I agree, complaining won't do much but I would look for another dealer to do future service.

Last edited:
I will politely disagrre. The bigger issue is the service manager lying about both items. Well over torqued and the "inspection" I'll concede the cabin air filter "inspection" is BS. On a 6 month old 2.5K vehicle there is no way that thing is dirty so they just checked a box. But if they are lying about that then what else, esp. out of warranty are they lying about?

I agree, complaining won't do much but I would look for another dealer to do future service.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they won't admit fault in either instance since neither is provable and nothing bad happened as a result. You're simply not going to get a response, so what would you be asking them to do? I think you're right - just find a new dealer. I had a weird incident happen with my local dealer I had been using for 7+ years that recently caused me to switch which is unfortunate because I prefer to a have a longstanding relationship with one spot. If you can't trust them though, just move on.

I'd be glad that they didn't touch the cabin filter! Most guys around here lock the glovebox before going in for service.

Not sure what to say about the lugs, other than i'm not surprised...

THIS!!

I’d have to develop a personal relationship with a toyota master tech before they would be let into my glovebox. Way too many recirculate flaps have been broken by these guys.

I do understand the dishonesty annoyance. My tolerance for dishonesty is about zero. Mistakes I can handle much better than fudging the truth.

On the other hand....
...with a total of 2.5k miles probably means...they might have been rolling their eyes a little, since...

-Your filter was probably still squeaky clean...
-Tires were probably not really due for rotation anyway...
-Torque wrenches can be off...including your own...so who knows.
Sloppy? Maybe.

Like others say... be glad whenever you get out with an intact cabin filter mechanism.

—At my dealer? I literally *tell them* to never touch (or even look at) my cabin filter. Nightmare waiting to happen...
Flip to recirculate and change it yourself. ;)

I do understand the dishonesty annoyance. My tolerance for dishonesty is about zero. Mistakes I can handle much better than fudging the truth.

On the other hand....
...with a total of 2.5k miles probably means...they might have been rolling their eyes a little, since...

-Your filter was probably still squeaky clean...
-Tires were probably not really due for rotation anyway...
-Torque wrenches can be off...including your own...so who knows.
Sloppy? Maybe.

Like others say... be glad whenever you get out with an intact cabin filter mechanism.

—At my dealer? I literally *tell them* to never touch (or even look at) my cabin filter. Nightmare waiting to happen...
Flip to recirculate and change it yourself. ;)
There you go making sense again @Markuson

Take a deep cleansing breath...and let it go.

Thanks all. I figured it wasn't worth it. But wanted to get more of a community feeling about letting little things slide, or not.

Like @Markuson mentioned, I've made a ton of mistakes, but have a real problem with lying.

2500 miles, the guys at the dealer will know the filter is clean. They have replaced enough cabin filters to know this without pulling it. I wouldn't have had them rotate the tires, pointless at 2500.

Agreed 2500 miles isn't much, but the Warranty & Maintenance Guide states every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. (my italics) I didn't want to get in some BS discussion about deferred maintenance should something arise. I have no idea what that might be but seeing as how the first two years/24K miles (whichever is least) comes free, taking it in seemed like the thing to do. I didn't expect tech to inspect cabin filter, etc given the low mileage. But they checked the box saying they did.

Given the health situation today (and how my wife views risk), we may only be at 5K miles by the 1 year mark.

We retired a year or so ago and have three vehicles w/two drivers. A bit of overkill, coupled with they all need to be driven at some reasonable interval. Probably need to clean up the 100 and sell it. Can't get rid of our Avalon - needed to drive handicapped sister. Won't get rid of LC.

When I said I didn't expect tech to inspect cabin filter, the reason is the Toyota maintenance guide which says at 5K or 6 months do the following (unless towing, dusty roads, etc.):
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect wiper blades
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Last edited:
Agreed 2500 miles isn't much, but the Warranty & Maintenance Guide states every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. (my italics) I didn't want to get in some BS discussion about deferred maintenance should something arise. I have no idea what that might be but seeing as how the first two years/24K miles (whichever is least) comes free, taking it in seemed like the thing to do. I didn't expect tech to inspect cabin filter, etc given the low mileage. But they checked the box saying they did.

Given the health situation today (and how my wife views risk), we may only be at 5K miles by the 1 year mark.

We retired a year or so ago and have three vehicles w/two drivers. A bit of overkill, coupled with they all need to be driven at some reasonable interval. Probably need to clean up the 100 and sell it. Can't get rid of our Avalon - needed to drive handicapped sister. Won't get rid of LC.

When I said I didn't expect tech to inspect cabin filter, the reason is the Toyota maintenance guide which says at 5K or 6 months do the following (unless towing, dusty roads, etc.):
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect wiper blades
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

I skipped the 5k/6 month service on my LC despite constant email reminders from my dealer - primarily due to low mileage. Took delivery in November but have only logged 1300 miles to date. Thought the 5k/6 month service was pointless. Will do an off-cycle oil change at 2k just to flush down any metallic particles dislodged from break-in (if any).

I would still bring it up with the service manager. Most people don’t realize how important a bad survey review is to a dealership. They will most likely offer you a future free service or have your 200 brought back in to repeat the service. Be happy they didn’t touch your air filter. However, how do you know they even changed your oil? If they lie about one thing, they could be lying about everything else. Lots of lazy service techs out there.

I’m not expert but it could be wise to start a dialogue with the service manager or technician to understand their process. Try not to make accusations or complaints until understanding their side of things. If they are passionate about their operation, they might appreciate your attention to detail and work to address potential system issues.

On personal note, I had an issue with service received & after a phone call met with tech & manager to address. It started out pretty heated but by the end we were all happy and good to go. I gained some insight to their operations, saw some behind the scenes actions, and now when I see the Tech, seem to get preferred treatment.

Let us know what you decide!

Let us know what you decide!

I'm going to let this one go. But I will remember the advice from the thread and not "just drop it off" for routine MX anymore. The service writer and I will have a conversation before they get my key fob.

Since the dealer has only ever had two new Land Cruisers on their lot in the last decade, and I bought both of them, pretty sure they don't have a tech with lots of experience.

I wonder if the tires were rotated?

I would still bring it up with the service manager. Most people don’t realize how important a bad survey review is to a dealership. They will most likely offer you a future free service or have your 200 brought back in to repeat the service. Be happy they didn’t touch your air filter. However, how do you know they even changed your oil? If they lie about one thing, they could be lying about everything else. Lots of lazy service techs out there.
They don't change the oil on a 5K service. It's at 10K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom