pyro install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am Installing my pyro and boost gauge this weekend on my BJ74.

Does anyone have a photo of where to drill for the pyro install?

I would like to make only one hole ;)

:cheers:

Todd

What type of pyro did you get?
Isspro? Do you have the right size tap?
The isspro is a Nation Pipe Thread (NPT). I forget the exact size.

If you can put it anywhere put it right above the turbo in the center of the manifold. Just don't put it to high up in the center or you will hit where it deflects down.

When I drilled my hole I used my dewalt cordless drill. It it just the left of center (bolt in center in below photo) half way up/down. My diesel friend mechanic friend showed up 30 minutes later. He asked why I did not put it further down infront the of the turbo. I said the drill would not reach on that angle, and I did not want to take the manifold off. He said I should of used his 90 degree air powered drill. :doh:
I wish I knew. :) So if you can get a 90' drill use it. If not, its probably not a huge deal.

Just try and get it close to center so it evens out the temps between all the cylinders.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Here is where I put my pyro:
pyrosensor_and_box.jpg

Here is where I put my boost sensor:
engine_over.jpg

Thanks Nick,

Yes, Isspro from PDR Diesel....

Just a little nervous drilling into the turbo....

Todd

Urbancarrot said:
Thanks Nick,

Yes, Isspro from PDR Diesel....

Just a little nervous drilling into the turbo....

Todd

You should be nervous!
DON'T DRILL INTO THE TURBO!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
Drill into exhaust manifold. :)

Have you already got your tap?
It's not a standard metric or imperial size. It's a NPT (national pipe thread).
I got mine at lordco for $10 or $11 bucks.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Yes..... Sorry.... No drilling into turbo....:doh:

I am going tonight to Edmonton Nut and Bolt for the tap....

:cheers:

On the "B" series engine you CAN drill in the center of the manifold. They do not have the deflectors that Nick's engine does (at least the ones that I've done don't have a deflector).
Nick, you should have put the pyrometer brain inside the truck. I'd be concerned about possible water damage with it hanging on the firewall like that. Some big puddles or snow and you might have short circuits. I hid mine up in behind the glove box with some double sided foam tape. I don't know where it is on the '55 but you could check and see.

Hi Todd:

I hope you received my email reply to the discussion between you and Sheldon. But perhaps some pictures of where my thermocouple is placed might help.

I picked this spot because it was easy to get to with a drill and tap without having to remove my turbo and exhaust manifold. Even though I have a turbo gasket kit with me, the last time I had to take off the exhaust manifold and turbo to replace a broken manifold stud was a pain in the butt...so I did it this way.

I realize that if I placed the thermocouple further up the exhaust manifold, it will give me a more accurate reading as to what is going on in the cylinders...but this spot is not bad, easy to do, and is a lot better than putting in post turbo.

After you get the right tap, make sure nothing will hit the wastegate rod after everything is put back together. Just remove the heat shield, drill, and then measure how deep you want the thermocouple to go into the elbow. You don't need to stick the whole thing in, and Sheldon measured several times trying to get the right depth. After you decide this, mark the depth on the threaded portion of the theormocouple bung and slowly work your tap until you can tighly screw the bung just deep enough to hit your mark. Make sure it's tight...and you're done!
pyro_boost_BJ74_001.jpg

pyro_boost_BJ74_002.jpg

For my turbo boost gauge, the guys at Piers Diesel gave me a plastic T so I could tap off of my wategate tube. Works well.
pyro_boost_BJ74_003.jpg

Many thanks to Sheldon and Greg B for lending me a hand. And yes, drilling and tapping into the turbo exhaust elbow is a little bit scary. I measure several times before drilling that first pilot hole, that's for sure. :D

HTH. :beer:

Stone,

Thanks for the photos....

Should be a fun project....

If you ever need to fly fish on the other side of the continental divide pop me a PM I know of a few nice places....

Cheers,

Todd

Urbancarrot said:
Stone,

Thanks for the photos....

Should be a fun project....

If you ever need to fly fish on the other side of the continental divide pop me a PM I know of a few nice places....

Cheers,

Todd

You're welcome, Todd...good luck with it.

I've flyfished Alberta before...and the memories were excellent. You can bet that it's near the top of my "to do again" list. Maybe next year I'll drive through and call you up and fish my way down to Montana/Wyoming...you never know.

Cheers.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom