Putting the head back on my 80 this weekend - Got a question about head bolts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RiverCityDave

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rivercitycruiser.life
As I was prepping parts and tools, I started thinking about the disassembly and I remembered that meant to ask the gurus here about the head bolts. I have new bolts and washers going on, but when I pulled my head, there were no washers. Im 100% certain of this. Additionally, a second head (though not the third I ended up using) that I pulled from another engine also had no washers. I am also 100% certain of this.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there a reason people were doing this, or should I just chalk it up to PO and/or mechanic malfeasance?

Again, to be clear, before anyone piles on me, I am replacing the head bolts and washers, I’m just curious why two of three heads I pulled during the repair process were missing washers.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
IF the heads had been off before, maybe someone thought it wise to leave out the washers in order to engage some new, unused thread, although it would be only a couple of turns?

IF the heads had been off before, maybe someone thought it wise to leave out the washers in order to engage some new, unused thread, although it would be only a couple of turns?
This is kind of the line of thinking I was following, I’d just never heard of anyone doing it. Its hard (but not impossible) to believe two heads from wholly different trucks were just coincidence.

I'd chalk it up to poor workmanship/not knowing a thing about the 1FZ-FE engine. If you find out who worked on those engines, avoid them like the plague.

Pictures or it never happened. This is hard to believe two separate heads had been pulled and put back without washers. Not saying I don’t believe you just saying it’s hard to wrap my head around.

Best advise to give is to clean the block threads prior to installing the head bolts.

I used an ARP thread cleaning tap prior to install.

It would be difficult to set final bolt torque if you’re fighting grime & debris in the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom