Purchase Advice for the new FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jimm0921 said:
I am a Toyota Dealer and we try to sell the to the consumer who is going to service thier cars with us.The FJ should start around 21k and max out at 30k depending on options.Are far as allocation goes it is done by turn and earn.Why would you lease the hottest FJ to come to the market in years ? As for deposits we dont require them for customers that have already bought cars from us ..

Be careful when leasing a car you can pay 30 to 40% over sticker and not even know it and you could get whacked to the tune of a 15% intrest rate.Leasing is tricky .

I am going to chime in on this one.. I have contacted CP Toyota, West Ashley Toyota, Stokes Brown, and never called Gene Reed (they pissed me off when I bought my tundra), about the new Fj cruiser. CP blew me off, West Ashley did not know what I was talking about, Stokes Brown looked into it but no solid info, and screw Gene Reed. From what you stated in your post, you guys DO have a list for the FJ cruiser. Since you are the GM for CP toyota, and you guys have a list going for the FJ cruiser, can you right a wrong and put me on the list.

side note: Is your fj40 red? the only fj40 I have ever seen in beaufort was red with a hardtop. There was a green one, but that guy moved to charleston.

Last edited:
Leasing is never a good option when you plan on putting on miles, go off-highway - and actually use the vehicle. You are always better off buying and trading up in three years, especially where Toyota is concerned. Toyota makes it real easy when it comes to trading up.

Yes we havent started a list but you can be the first if you like ..Mine is a yellow 78 FJ40 and I just put it on the road after 6 months of work.It is on cat island but mostly will drive it on Sundays.Are there any good off road spots around ?

PM me and I will put you on the list.

Thanks

Jim, how many of those FJ's do you really believe Yota will put on a boat from Japan with a $21K MSRP? Hell, they are already playing the add the options in Japan on the Scion and they weren't going to do that. I'd wager most of those FJ's will be pretty heavily optioned off the boat.

BTW - I appreciate your openness re: your dealer status and willingness to post here! If you weren't on the wrong coast, I'd be more than willing to do business with you for that reason alone.

desertdude said:
Leasing is never a good option when you plan on putting on miles, go off-highway - and actually use the vehicle. You are always better off buying and trading up in three years, especially where Toyota is concerned. Toyota makes it real easy when it comes to trading up.

Let me offer you another point of view about leasing and miles. Regardless of whether you lease or buy, if you drive a lot of miles, you are going to pay for them. You can add extra miles to your monthly payment, allowing you to suffer little by little, or you can take your a$$ whipping in the end when you trade it in. Personally, I would rather pay it little by little than be slammed for several thousands dollars in depreciation when it comes time to trade.

Again, another point about leasing a vehicle you might use offroad. The lease company (Toyota Financial Services for example) doesn't care what you do with it, as long as when it comes time to turn it in, its in >>average<< condition for the age and mileage. Unless you plan on beating up sheet metal, or making irrreversable changes, there is no disadvantage to leasing a 4 wheel drive. I leased a brand new 40th Anniverary Cruiser in 1997 for 36 months, wheeled the hell out of it, removed my ARB, OME etc and turned it back. Then I went to St. Louis and bought another 1997 with less miles THAT HADN'T YET BEEN WHEELED (the one Kaderabek now owns) for $6000 less than my purchase option on the one I leased.

This is what people need to get it in their heads:

When you go to a bank and borrow $40,000 for a new car, then you drive it three years and trade it for $20,000, you just LEASED IT for 36 months and paid $20,000 in depreciation. The only difference is....you had a monster payment based on financing the whole $40,000 and the guy who actually leased it had a much smaller payment because he only financed the $20,000 loss.

Brentbba said:
Jim, how many of those FJ's do you really believe Yota will put on a boat from Japan with a $21K MSRP? I'd wager most of those FJ's will be pretty heavily optioned off the boat.

I really don't know, some say 40,000 but buts too early to tell. I think most of these trucks will be moderately to fully loaded early on and probably be $25-30K. I think that Toyota will build them for several years and as time goes by you'll see more and more lesser-equipped models.

I am trying to find out what first year build will be .As for options we can strip them down to nothing if we want The reason the scions are maxed out is there no profit in a stripped car and the dealers are adding not toyota.I can get one either way and shipping is easy to Ca.But in the FJ production why wouldnt i want them loaded to start with, options are where the money is as well most must have first buyers want them loaded. And I agree leasing is good for some and bad for others but always beware of what you are paying for a lease.( ie:selling price, interest rate)

jimm0921 said:
I am trying to find out what first year build will be .As for options we can strip them down to nothing if we want The reason the scions are maxed out is there no profit in a stripped car and the dealers are adding not toyota.I can get one either way and shipping is easy to Ca.But in the FJ production why wouldnt i want them loaded to start with, options are where the money is as well most must have first buyers want them loaded. And I agree leasing is good for some and bad for others but always beware of what you are paying for a lease.( ie:selling price, interest rate)

So why is it that all but two blue Xa's in all of SoCal had the option package that included the rear spoiler? Seems to me that Yota and not local dealers placing orders are controlling that one.

I guess I will believe the 40,000 units for the first year that Don Esmond (Toyota VP) mentioned, until evidence to the contrary. If so, that means there should be quite a few used ones on the market a few years later for me to buy :) .

firetruck41 said:
If so, that means there should be quite a few used ones on the market a few years later for me to buy :) .

My thoughts exactly. I plan on waiting a few years til I put my money into the new FJ.

jeff

the dealers usally preference what they want the builds to be no so on the south east coast but the distributors are different everywhere so who knows

Interesting banter fellows.......

Think I'll stick with the FJs that are paid off for now ;)

New vehicles are great, but who wants to beat the crap
out of a new vehicle?

New vehicles are great, but who wants to beat the crap
out of a new vehicle?

The idea is to know how to have fun and not beat the crap out of it.

I have a modified 04 Tacoma - and have a great time wheeling in moab Utah - Rock climbing in AZ - and in the mnts of CA - no damage what so ever- and still can get on the freeway and travel 3000 miles a month- in total comfort!

try and do that in an older vehicle ;)

Good point DesertDude.....

If I didn't have to support my wife and three kids I'm sure I would
have several more trucks, and you can bet one would be a Tacoma.

And yes I would love to try out the new FJ as well.

I'm sure it will strike a chord in the market place and the sales numbers
will be very impressive.

By the way; I don't actually beat the 62 much at all. It is just too pretty.....

Most of the guys would make fun of her cause she isn't worn in yet !!!

Now the 40 is another story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom