1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pulling the trigger

Discussion in 'Tundra / Sequoia' started by nuclearlemon, May 26, 2017.

1. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks to a customer who three months ago offered his beautiful loaded 07 and then his wife nixed the deal, i've been somewhat searching for another. i needed a tow rig and a pickup desperately ever since i got rid of my old "fawkeduprebuiltdodge".

after talking to a good friend who was the tech trainer/problem solver/guru for toyta and consulting numerous forums, i determined that a 2012-2015 with the tow mode was what i needed. i didn't want a crew max since i damn near never have more than one passenger and bed space was more important, and i wanted low miles since i was gonna plunk out a bit of change....let's face it, tundras don't depreciate like lesser vehicles ;)

as i've gotten older, i've realized there are certain things i like....power windows (i'm short, so reaching sucks). extra cabs (on a rainy/snowy day, it sucks to put your groceries in the bed), temperature reading (just kinda nice....not sure why), double visors (again, being short, i like to block as much windshield and window)....so i had my goals

i've been watching craigslist and i'm on the cargurues and carmax sites and was checking them once a week or so, but i had no deadline. my dad said he would look up where he is (gig harbor) and my brother would let people in l.a. know to keep their eyes out for my demands.

2012-2014
    double cab
    4wd
    5.7 with tow package
    no red/white/black colors
    less than 60k
    less than $30k

wednesday, i got a flier about a sale from Larry H Miller's tent sale...the only manufacturer that didn't seem to be listed was toyota, but it was all used, so thursday, i decided to see what would be there. only two tundras. a crewmax and a silver doublecab. click for more info and it turns out to be a 2012 with 21,842 miles! but a grade model :(

for grins i went to check it out. think i weirded out the salesman. not often you see a woman whip out the camera phone and start taking pictures in the lowest regions of the engine bay and crawl underneath to see just how clean the undercarriage is.

the rig was a clean, one owner from an upscale neighborhood and the carfax indicated all the work was done at the local toyota dealership.

i've had it for the last two days, which is the way to do a new car purchase, so i had all the time in the world to crawl all over it and check on the stuff i wanted without someone waiting on me and asking annoying questions. tomorrow, i'm 95% sure i'll be signing final papers tomorrow on a 2012 double cab 4wd grade :( with 21,867 miles :)

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

What is a "grade" model?

21K miles is basically new. Sounds great.

3. nuclearlemon

Media:
    Albums:
    grade - absolutely no frills.
    i guess it fits...i bought it for a working vehicle and within 12 hours of signing the paperwork, i had a trailer on the back ;)
    20170527_230216.jpg

G-Cat and Cruiserdrew like this.
  4. MOTOV8R

MOTOV8R SILVER Star

Congrats! My crewmax was a 2012 grade. I liked it because the center seat is more versatile than that huge console. Also like the column shift. It is easy enough to add things like seat heaters and the info button (temp reading).

5. nuclearlemon

Media:
    Albums:
    first thing to go in was my old brake controller. love the ease of just splicing on a factory pigtail and plugging it in.

added avs window visors because i love the windows cracked in the rain and on hot days when parked. i've always questioned whether in channel visors cause issues with the window and reading was confirming they weren't the way to go, so i went with outside mount again and avs because they are made in the u.s.a.

then put my mostly likely not made in the u.s.a. mod of superbrightled.com bulbs. i haven't replaced every bulb, but i did to footwell, dome and map lights, license plate and cargo/third brake lights.

last thing for a while is the again made in the u.s.a. truxedo lo pro qt tonneau cover.

done for a bit. working on researching backup camera options after finding out grade versions don't have the complete harness for plug and play :(

20170529_190932.jpg 20170531_200600.jpg 20170601_221153.jpg 20170601_221204.jpg 20170602_173822.jpg

weejub and mr jits like this.
  6. Rigger

Rigger Ramble Tamble Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks like a clean truck.

Nice going!

nuclearlemon likes this.
  7. Boss Hog

Boss Hog

Looks good! You don't waste any time...

8. nuclearlemon

Media:
    Albums:
    took the tundra wheeling today....not exactly by choice. went up a graded road to a f.s. campground for a meeting...the rain came and the road went away. my phone died when the video ended, but it was about six miles of this. i guess tomorrow, i get to find all the grease zerks and drain plugs

4mydogs likes this.
  9. nuclearlemon

Media:
    Albums:
    the guy i was with (our land use guy) got a great shot of me going into the first section
    IMG_6776.JPG

4mydogs likes this.
  10. nuclearlemon

Media:
    Albums:
    after the impromptu wheeling trip, i needed to bump this mod up on my list
    20170719_200743.jpg 20170720_170214.jpg 20170720_170622.jpg

G-Cat likes this.