PTO winch installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would be interested myself. Been working on gathering the parts for years. Not an easy task in the US.

I have the correct shifter but haven’t gotten to the point of cutting the opening for it yet. The other item I‘m curious about is the shifter boot. Is there an inner and outer boot? Depending on how impossible the parts are to find, I may just cut an opening identical to the transfer case lever opening. That way I’ll be able to use the boot from a transfer as a substitute.

Is the opening not embossed on the floor cover? My ‘76 has it on the floor cover and I figured it would be very close to where the transmission cover would need to be cut. Cut the floor cover and trace onto the trans cover, remove floor cover and trans cover, then cut.
On the ‘76 the PTO lever cut out is completely different than the transfer case cutout, FWIW.

I have the correct shifter but haven’t gotten to the point of cutting the opening for it yet. The other item I‘m curious about is the shifter boot. Is there an inner and outer boot? Depending on how impossible the parts are to find, I may just cut an opening identical to the transfer case lever opening. That way I’ll be able to use the boot from a transfer as a substitute.

It is two piece setup with a metal ring. Has a typical lower boot. The top boot is thick piece that follow the the curve in the hump.

Have a picture of a 84 HJ47RV hump. Problem the inspection cover was pulled already and hump was badly damaged. I plan on grafting in a section of a 83 40 series hump into my 79 FJ40. It is still in Australia but looks the coating on the hump is showing a ring where the outline of the PTO shifter cut out would be.
P1050982 (1).JPG

Thanks for sharing @Living in the Past I think I see a faint oval shaped stain where the PTO would be. Now that I’m looking at your picture I’m thinking a transfer case lever boot is too wide and cutting an opening that size might overlap into the transmission cover opening.

@SuperDuperCruizer Even thought the lock on these is an internal button in the shifter and not a piece bolted to the hump. The top piece is a thick piece of flat rubber and not a boot.

Yeah, I have the shifter with the button trigger/release. Since this bolts to the top loader of the transmission, I could use the neutral position of the PTO lever as a reference point to start cutting. I’ve since installed the PTO gearbox, but here’s the lever:

3B9F4C34-AF2C-4680-A03F-1B179A623F48.jpeg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but think the bracket that bolts to transmission is from a 60 series. I say that because the location of the shift gate is further back than the one from a HJ47. I purchased one like one you have recently. If you have a 1/79 LHD want to be sure it's not going to interfere with the hand brake lever.

I am installing a factory winch on a 1983 fj40. does anybody has the dimensions for the opening for the shifter? Thanks

DCB8DFC8-DF36-4224-82F9-D2EB26383D48.jpeg

FB47F28D-86BA-4CF2-89FC-B9E256ED5C2F.jpeg

FB9950DF-8140-49D5-8A7D-43B1EB6A6BF4.jpeg

B98613B9-BCD8-43DD-9C51-D1C5D324D1BB.jpeg

BD0352DD-A180-426A-85DC-F40B11890E85.jpeg

I believe these are of a 40 series 1/79-9/82. Dimensions are probably close. The handle on the 10/82+ is a bracket like I posted above that bolts to the transmission and not the side of the hump. While I've only seen pictures of the 1/79-9/82 style it uses a cable which allows for flex between the tub and PTO. 10/82 Toyota went back to a solid rod. They also moved the shift lever to the front side of the PTO which wouldn't work with the cable since it uses a bracket on the PTO to anchor the cable. That requires the lever to be on the back side of the PTO. Here is picture showing how the handle mounts on a 10/82+ H41.
016.JPG

Your information would be very helpful to those looking to add a PTO winch to a 79-82 model if they are lucky enough to locate a compete handle setup. Toyota never imported a PTO winch to the US in any 79+ 40 series and the few of us working to add one are piecing the parts together. In some cases modifying from other series.

Good to know, thanks. Yes, mine is 7/81.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom